Fulham Vs. Birmingham [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Apr 28, 2008.

1. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

I'l be returning for my 1st game at the cottage since the Boro match (opening day). Fulham in thier wisdom have sent me a half price ticket (apparently a birthday present!) but its in the Putney end, next to the Birmingham fans!. Its going to be one hell of a day one way or the other.
    hopfully i'l bump into Tom & Mike. I was going to go to Portsmouth but thats already sold out for the Fulham fans. The big games always fall round my birthday. one of the biggest was when we got to the cup final in 75 (ninth birthday if memories serve's me), only to lose to West Ham.
    one of the goals went between our goalies legs (Peter Mellor) a Bill Buckner pre-curser, probably why i follow the Bo Sox

2. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

Please win!!!

That is all....bye bye now.

3. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I noticed Coppell texting during a match as well. Looked as if his mobile was more important than the silly match taking place on the pitch.

VB, hopefully Fulham gave give you a convincing win on this weekend. Enjoy the match.

Back to the Brum match... James McFadden's ability to score magical goals, usually with Scotland, scares the hell out of me. Hopefully Brede or Hughes puts him to the deck a few times early in the match and we can get in his head.

4. BC

BC New Member

Whatever happens in the next two matches, at least it will be an exciting finish and our boys will have given it their all. God I love this club. Come On You Whites!

5. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

This is all any of us could have asked for a few weeks ago when we weren't even at 22 posts on a match thread by game-time Saturday...it's only Tuesday and I have gotten no work done this week...and don't plan on it either...

UP FULHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's a link for you to CCN, for my money the best football-related blog in the UK.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/

In case the lead story has changed by the time you get there, the story I'm linking is "Coast is Clear." Great perspective on the season as a whole, and on the two-match tournement that's ending it. I especially found interesting the comments on the home crowd and how we might NOT have been able to make that Man City comeback at home.

"We can only hope that the Craven Cottage crowd is in good humour on Saturday. As a group we seem to have become spoilt, quick to voice displeasure at anything that is not perfect, or anyone who doesn’t appear to have the sufficient fire in his belly on that day. After the Liverpool defeat a number of fans in the Johnny Haynes Stand shouted at the departing Roy Hodgson as if the manager had just insulted their nearest and dearest. Such venom, such hate. This sort of thing transmits itself to the pitch. Had we been 2-0 down at home to Man City the crowd would have jeered the players off, would have muttered, stopped shouting, and flatlined towards 90 minutes. There would presumably have been no comeback".

Enjoy

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

So the story goes, after the game Mellor went to Alec Stock (the manager) and said he was sorry he hadn't kept his legs closed, to which Stock replied "I wish you mother had!".

Lets hope that come Saturday night there are no Fulham players who we wished never existed. COYW - bring us luck Tom & Mike.

8. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Don, great link.

I must admit that I have gotten down on the team several times over the past weeks. Accepting nothing less than perfection, but how often does that happen in football? I agree that if that match were played at home the Fulham faithful would of done the side in.

I'm going to try my level best to remain positive throuhgout the match. Good, bad or indifferent.

Come On You Whites!!! Get us three points.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think this all outlines the essential difference between football in Europe and South America and other sports in other countries. In the US, the people who are most shattered at the final whistle are usually the gamblers. Even diehard Cub and Red Sox and Yankee fans have the Bears/Patriots/Giants-Jets/BlackHawks/Bruins/Rangers-Islanders to move on to.

In Europe and in South America, no other sport provides that balm. In no other sport does say a Pompey fan feel gutted after losing to Man City even though they know they're on their way to Wembley.

All of us on this site who live in the USA know how much every point means to us, imagine what it means to someone whose nursery was painted black and white and who went to his or her first match at the age of 4 or 5, and who has a lifetime of memories and stories all wrapped around the club. Like Kev's quote reads: it's much more serious to these folks than life or death.

10. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I was in the Johnny Haynes stand for the Sunderland match and when we went down 2-0, I didnt hear any jeering or insults to the team or Roy. They were still cheering, although not very loudly or often, and pulling for the boys.

From watching and listening on the TV though it does seem like Fulham's away fans stand out more than their home fans, relative to many other teams.

11. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

my and some more of don's thoughts are here

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

young timmy was too subtle and circumspect. If you click on the word "here" in his post just above this one, you'll be taken magically to "the offside" where he, once again, has chatted with me on something the young folks like to call a podcast.

It's all about Fulham; so click and enjoy!

Probably my last post until some time Sunday evening. Y'all be good; raise some cain, and get us three points!

UP THE BLOODY FULHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Nice guys! The voices behind the posts. :)

14. PutneyPete

PutneyPete New Member

obviously ffc will be on fire: home turf, come from behind victory vs. tough opponent away, and staying in epl in sights. therefore, would think r.h. is prepping them to stay focused keep those 90 minutes on their mind. b'ham have the almost the same deal, but they are away, and we are better!!!!!!!!!

coyw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. FulhamWisconsin

FulhamWisconsin New Member

Re: babe with phone
    Here's my thought process upon watching the highlights
    OHH! WHat a goal -- hey, who's that?
    And she shows up everywhere.
    anyways, there is definitely hope, if not a good chance that Fulham will be in the bigs again next year. Birrmingham will stand no chance if Fulham is in its good form,and I hope to God Reading loses. And Chelsea, too just cause.

16. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

Game

The trouble with this game, is that we will all be watching other scores.

We all know Fulham as to win otherwise good night, but what is going on elsewhere is of probably more importance, at this end of the season you do get some crazy results, as teams fight for survival, but however much i hate to say it, if we win on Saturday we most certainly want Chelsea to win Monday night, we need them to go into the Bolton game with the thought that they must win that game, and that means whatever Man U do they need to win Monday night.

I think Bolton will beat Sunderland, Sunderland have nothing to play for, like wise Reading play a Spurs side with nothing to play for so they could also get a result. We have to beat brum so that leaves us with three teams who we can catch with point totals, Midds, Reading and Bolton, we have a superior goal diff than Reading, and inferior to Bolton and Midds, who play a Pompey side getting ready for the FA Cup.

So realistically we have to have Bolton or Reading slip up, assuming we do the business, a difference of 5 with Bolton, is probably to much but can erode quickly, so i honestly believe we are looking at the Derby Reading game as our best chance of staying up, if we win both of our games, but it would be nice and a bonus if Chelsea need to beat Bolton to have any chance of winning the league.

I know this seems very pessimistic and it is, but dont count out Derby in that game, it will be their last in the premier, against a team who are also struggling, who will be very nervous, and who have trouble scoring, and Derby will want to win that last one for their fans.

Anyway this will all be irrelevant if we dont win on Saturday, but hopefully we do, and so does Chelsea for the reasons above.

17. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

I agree with Don...UP FULHAM!!!!!!!!!!

18. hawkfan_08

hawkfan_08 New Member

I have a coaching clinic I have to attend and will miss the last two matches. I will be pretty worried during class, thats for sure.

19. LOBO

LOBO New Member

Great commentary! Thanks for posting that link!

20. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

little less than 25 hours, i'm thinking today will be a wasted "work" day. COYW