Fulham vs Amkar Perm

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by FFC24, Aug 17, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's the lineup from SOCCERNET

No. NAME POS
    1 Mark Schwarzer (G)
    3 Paul Konchesky (D)
    18 Aaron Hughes (D)
    5 Brede Hangeland (D)
    4 John Pantsil (D)
    20 Dickson Etuhu (M)
    13 Danny Murphy (M)
    11 Zoltan Gera (M)
    23 Clint Dempsey (M)
    8 Andrew Johnson (ST)
    25 Bobby Zamora (ST)

Fulham Substitutes
    No. NAME POS
    12 David Stockdale (G)
    6 Chris Baird (D)
    2 Stephen Kelly (D)
    16 Damien Duff (M)
    17 Bjorn Helge Riise (M)
    10 Erik Nevland (ST)
    21 Eddie Johnson (ST)

Surprises? NO change to the "preferred starters" but Duff and EJ on the bench

I can't get into the Offal yet, so I'm not sure about the status of GJ. Let's hope that the link that LBno11 gave us is good.

2. Bradical

Bradical Member

Demps!!!

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Looks like Dempsey had a good match from the statistics with 5 of our 8 shots.

4. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

The wonder boy strikes again!!!!!

5. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Sounds like another good outing in Europa. Got the win, a 2 goal cushion and Duff got some action. Good to hear Clint had a good game. Wish we hadn't conceded an away goal, but probably won't come back to cost us. Doesn't sound like A-P's place is a fortress.

Oh yeah, as a vocal detractor......all credit to Zamora for finding the net again. Hopefully he used his head or a boot this time.

Any word on AJ's injury?

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I heard that it was a dislocated shoulder; in other words, he was "Bouazzad." These are always painful but can be short term depending on the severity. I doubt we'll see him on Sunday.

Duff's debut in our colors resulted in an assist for him in 15 seconds of play. Incredible stuff.

Hope there's some highlights on the offal soon. In the meantime, check out Chicago Tom's view of the match and of the team at large:

http://www.fulhamusa.com/modules.php?op ... =0&thold=0

make a comment!

7. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Just got back from the Cottage. A near perfect night with the only blemish being the goal surrendered at the end.

Craven Cottage lived up to the hype that I had in my head plus a nice cool evening after some warmer/muggy days the last couple of days.

Nice first goal by Andy Johnson to get things started.

Duece's goal was pretty awesome and a rocket into the corner (and in the goal right in front of me).

Duff comes in and makes a great move and hustle play around a guy to set up the third goal. I saw more good things out of him in 10 seconds than I did the whole game with Zoltan Gera.

Gera was my one complaint. After seeing him in person (and I am no professional by any means), but his vision is garbage. So many times he would pick up a loose ball or a pass and someone would be making a great cut somewhere and he would never see it. The few times he tried to make some through ball type pass, it was intercepted or deflected.

Hopefully Duff gets to start soon on the left with Dempsey on the right until Davies gets back.

Otherwise, a fun night and I can't wait until Sunday's game.

8. IndyCottager

IndyCottager New Member

Skysports is reporting that AJ is set to be sidelined for up to 8 weeks with a dislocated shoulder...

Balls.

9. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

That sucks. He did get knocked down pretty hard and it took him a bit to get up.

The crowd ended up booing at the guy who knocked him down every time he touched the ball after that point.

10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update LAX, and I don't see Fulham conceding more than a goal to big perm next match. Roy has the leeway to allow a 0-1 defeat carry the Whites into the group stages, so, I'm fairly confident at this point.

The curse of Bouazza strikes AJ. Damn.

11. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

12. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Missed the game, but its good to see a comprehensive display by the boys, and get well soon to AJ.

13. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

A nice win but we still have work to do next week. Keep in mind, we DON'T have a 2 goal cushion. Amkar scored an away goal, so thats like scoring twice. Don't forget that.

Can't wait to see some highlights. Apparently not only did Demps strike the crap out of the ball, but Zamora's goal was a thing of beauty as well.

My guess is Nevland starts Sunday with AJ out.

14. lucian

lucian New Member

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I have never heard Roy so angry as he was tonight on SSN. He was livid at the Amkar player that poleaxed AJ and beside himself at the official who let the guy stay on the pitch. I smell a direct complaint to UEFA. And they listen to Roy.

16. jmh

jmh New Member

Watch Roy's postgame interview on the club website, he is NOT happy.

Personally, I'd like to see a clip of the challenge on AJ before I'm as angry as he is, but certainly it seems like in comparison to this and to other things that Perm got away with, Dempsey's yellow was quite harsh.

Edit: On the bright side, that's a nice goal by Clint.

17. sullytex

sullytex Member

Excellent. See you Sunday afternoon. Where did you sit?

I half-assed listen to the game as orated by sir GJ and popped in the chat room a couple of times. Seems the game was easily won by Fulham also the opinion of the Sky Sports talking heads.

The AJ injury is troublesome, but I think we have enough guys that can step up (Zamora...time to shine amigo). One of the beauties of last season was the lack of injuries, with any luck this is the last major one (touch wood and all that). Our entry to Europa is bad ass but it comes with some downsides....more matches played means the probability of injuries goes up. A risk that I think just about everyone on this board is happy for Fulham to take and I think our recent additions help provide cover as well.

On to Chelski.

18. lucian

lucian New Member

I have heard people are having trouble viewing the highlight.

It is a quicktime file, so you must have quicktime installed in order to be able to view it. I have a mac, so it automatically comes with the OS. I believe if you have itunes you should also have quicktime.

Go to http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ to download quicktime if you don't have it. It will automatically detect your OS.

Hope this helps.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

sorry, lucian. I have quicktime and it still lays there motionless. here's hoping there's some highlights on the official site soon.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Bumpity ...
    ... no match preview this time out as I pretty much covered all the interesting stuff about FC Amkar in [the first two sentences of] my previous match report.

Having said that, here's what I would genuinely like to see:

Schwarzer; Paintsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Konchesky; Dempsey, Baird, Etuhu, Duff; Kamara, EJ

I'd like for Konch and Duff to have a short meeting and decide NOT to occupy the same square yard of turf like they did on sunday. I'd like Murph to take the match off, and I'm going with Dempsey and EJ because they probably have more match experience on artificial turf than anyone else on the team.

I figure we'll get an early goal, negate their one glimmer of an advantage in the away goal. This will make them press hard, leaving them vulnerable to counter. I'm saying 2-2 as the final which will give us a 5-3 aggregate -- Baird and EJ score, giving the Hammy End supporters headaches trying to create songs for them should the situation arise.