Fulham v. Wigan [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Oct 26, 2006.

1. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I know that the main BBC1-5 is blocked for PL games, but rumstove got regional commentary last week from BBC London. I would be horrified if Manchester was more technically advance that down south, in fact, I would cry!

2. GaryBarnettFanClub

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 072866.stm

BBC preview the game with Boa on the bench and Niemi has a groin twing but is expected to start. Wigan defender 'One Size' Fitz Hall (best nickname in the division) is out.

Poll is refing, he has managed 35 yellows in 8 games, but no reds yet!

3. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Graham Poll? Awww, nutbunnies. I hope he doesn't be lame like the ref in the Aston Villa match and call a penalty kick for LEANING on a player in the box.

I hope Niemi's groin twing is very minor and only for now. Even minor injuries could become major ones over time as I've seen in other sports. Just as importantly, I hope the groin doesn't deter his performance. COYW all the same.

4. rumstove

rumstove New Member

I do hope Niemi plays...then again it would be bad if he played and a minor problem turned into a major injury.

I was happy and surprised that I was able to get BBC London feed of the Fulham v Charlton game when GBFC posted the link. Maybe the Wigan game will work too. Otherwise I'll be on my home computer this time so I can do the pay-per-match Fulhamtv thing and listen to GJ.

Then again sometimes I sleep through my alarm clock and miss the whole match. 9:00am is too early...seriously.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

If there is, it would involve a proxy server which presents an 'in-country' IP address...

And THEN has the proper setup to forward streaming connections.

However.. notice in this proxy server list none are in the UK. Interesting, no?

There are other ways possible which might involve the help of some person in UK but those would become a 'project'..

Short answer... best choice remains to try on the day.

As of last year and probably this year as well, whether the IP block's in place has more to do with how lazily their procedures are carried out than technocal quality of the staff.

6. pettyfog

Ah, well... as they say: "on the given day".
    :(

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

BAD! I am usually not one that looks too deeply into statistics, but I think in this game, the stats do say something:

Possession: 58-42 Wigan
    Shots: 16-4 Wigan
    Shots on Goal: 7-1 Wigan

Looking at those three stats one has to wonder how and why Fulham was outshot and held a little more than 40% of the possession. I would like to think that there was a better starting lineup to put out there than the defensive one Coleman went with today.

It was a 4-5-1 seemingly with McBride alone up front and Radz on the wing pushing forward. Volz started in midfield as did Bocanegra. I would like to think Coleman had some better options than this.

I can understand that formation on the road against a bigger team, but at home against Wigan that is unacceptable to me. There is no reason Fulham should not have come out attacking and taking it to a team they are better than.

It would have been nice to get a win and leapfrog Villa, but it was not to be. I just hope the boys can rebound next week against a tough Everton team.

8. pettyfog

Hmm... maybe CC ought to just look at the opponent as a team, not what happened last game!

9. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

Well, this is what you get when you cheer for a middle-of-the-pack team. Some tough losses to good teams, some surprising (and satisfying) victories, and a lot of hard-won draws. While it's always disappointing to lose, Wigan's not a bad team (despite their current table position) and we've still had an excellent October. Let's hope we can give Everton a good, tough run and get a point or maybe even three.

10. GaryBarnettFanClub

We were poor, very poor. The comical Zat Knight defending shone as a becon of awful in a sea of mediocre.

The last 3 minutes we played with passion, upped the tempo and put them to the sword. McBride was starved of service, only when Wayne and Boa were on did we look like a threat. Packing 5 centre backs into the midfield is bad for us!

Still, always next weeks.

11. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

well... just got back from the game, and to say we were crap is a understatement. Playing 4-5-1 at home , playing Volz just behind McBride
    ( i swear that volzy was sometimes the only player supporting him). we lacked drive today and Wigan werent all that better, Jensen should have scored, Boa should have scored ( both sitter's). Pearce was lucky not to give a penalty away, and to top it off the defense let Wigan in to score right at the death.......

on a brighter note, I met RDG and DCHeather, would you beleave that RDG lived two street's away from me when we were kid's (I know , scary)
    and what a lovley lass DCH is, If only i was younger, perhap's DC can watch her first win vs Everton next week

for those who are interested Middlesex trounced Surrey at Motspur park 22-0 !!!
    thank god i didnt play this year. I did ref the last 20 minutes so the ref could play for surrey...thats how bad it got for Surrey

12. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I don't understand the logic in starting with a defensive mindset at home. It seems that the game plan is to start off with a defensive formation and steadily sub in attacking minded players until we score. With a team like Wigan, I just don't get why we didn't put out an attacking minded formation from the beginning.

There is always next week. Everton look a threat however... :(

13. GaryBarnettFanClub

14. Shashlik

Shashlik New Member

Love the Claus photo. Almost like he's posing.

15. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Great pics GBFC!

I wasn't able to listen to the match, so I can't comment on it. I tried BBC Manchester, but they had Bolton v M.U. on until content was blocked just before kickoff. I then went to Fulham's site to order the one match GJ commentary, but their server was 'temporarily' down. After clicking refresh a few times with no results I decided I was tired and went back to bed.

Anyways, later I read through some text commentary which said the Brown out/Boa Morte in substitution was for a Brown injury. Was it just a minor thing?

Too bad Fulham couldn't close out a great month with a point.

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

17. pettyfog

John, this article was so well written from the heart, and so well describes 'Fulhamish' that I edited it for readability, while not changing words and split it off into its own thread.
    - pettyfog

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hi!

So, did everyone have nice weekend? :lol: :D

I had no email or Internet access this past weekend, and I wore "The Shirt" all day Saturday, but to no avail. The first thing I said when I read the ESPN match report was #$%@$ 4-5-1!!!!

Hope the FulhAmericans abroad had a good match all the same. I've "enjoyed" reading this thread for match reports.

A very Fulhamisn turn this weekend; big sigh, grumble under the breath, put the shirt in the hamper and move on.

Time to kick the Other Blue Poo next weekend. :banana:

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I hope Fulham play a little more attack minded for the Everton match. I still can't believe we played a 4-5-1 formation at home against Wigan. Ugh. Thanks for the kind words VonBilly. I knew who you were straight away with that Red Sox cap!! Who knew there was Englishman that was just as passionate about the Sox as any member of my family would be! See you at the Golden Lion before the Everton match?

On my brighter note, my flu symptoms seems to be disappearing. Hopefully, I should be fit for the next match.

20. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I want to apologize to Heather and Rudy, on behalf of Fulham because not only was that our worst performance of the year but that was the worst atmosphere at the Cottage all season as well. I can assure you Heather, that it not like that on a typical day and I am hoping and praying you get the real deal vs. Everton.

The match was boring and I still don't know why we played a 4-5-1. We all know by now that McBride does not score in a 4-5-1 formation and it just makes him prone to injury by getting beat up by 3-4 defenders at a time. The whole '2 defenders in midfield' have caught up to us. Boca is not a midfielder and although Volzy is making the transition better, in the end, neither is he. Why not play a 4-4-2 putting Boca on the bench and giving Helguson another shot with Brian??

I was frustrated that whole match...with our fans for being quiet (not like there was that much to chant about) but also our defensive formation. Ugh...

I hope you are feeling better Heather and thanks for coming down to the Middlesex/Surrey match. This saturday will be a better day!

FTID -- COYW's