Fulham v West Brom

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, Jan 30, 2012.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

This Wednesday at 3pm EST, at Craven Cottage. The game will be televised on FoxSoccerPlus.

Line-ups and Predictions?

2. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

I just hope we get Ruiz on the wing. I would hate to drop Duff as he has put in two solid shifts, but Ruiz seems lost in the middle. Maybe Dembele will be back as well. Either way I feel positive going into this match.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Let's see what happens in the last day of the window, but if it's status quo then I'm hoping that Jol isn't stubborn enough to have one striker out there. The team plays better when Bobby has a partner, so if Moose isn't back yet then AJ should start, Sidders and the Captain in the middle and Ruiz back on the bench (not near as down on him as others, but coming on a sub for this match).

Really interested on the return of Woy. I know all the supporters aren't going to give him his well deserved ovation, but for those that don't want to cheer I'm hoping they just choose to be silent and not boo.

WBA will be battling to stay up at the end of the season, but one thing they do having going for them is that their away record is far better than their home one is, so the lads had better be ready to go. 1-0 to the good guys w/Bobby finding the back of the net.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So, Woyz Boyz already have FIVE away wins this season -- more than his last two seasons with us combined.

I go for an old fashioned 4-4-2 with Stockdale; Kelly, Senderos, Hangeland, Riise; Ruiz, Dembele [if fit] Murphy, Dempsey; Our Late President, Z-Bird.

If Dembele is NOT fit, put in Sidwell.

If the good Fulham shows up, we win easily. If the confused, unguided, lost-in-the-woods Fulham shows up, it'll be #6 for Woy!

5. SCFulhamFan

Can't agree more. The right team comes out and we break down the organization Roy brings to all his teams.

6. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Still have a sour taste from the Everton match. This is very winnable if the right team shows up as everyone is saying. With Man City coming up, I would love to get 3 points from this one.

I'm gonna say 2-1 Fulham

7. RDG

RDG Member

Question: will Aaron Hughes start again? From what little I saw of Friday's match, he looked worse than Senderos. He was not the solid player we have grown to love him (even if he was a Sanchez signing). Ah, well, I will miss this match and actually do some work instead. Stupid me.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

So, Zamora is ruled out. Sa is injured? To those of us Cyrillic-challenged isn't available...so, dare to venture a guess of Dempsey up top w/ AJ? I would hope with AJ and not alone... If Dembele is healthy, we'll probably see the mastermind 4-6-0 by Jol, thereby sucking West Brom into a false sense of confidence through the failure of Fulham to place a striker on the pitch. Trotta to get his first XI run out? Is Davies healthy yet?

Really burned at the transfer situation right now. Poor bit o' business in my opinion - hopefully, it'll all be coming up roses in a month.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Not sure Jol will go with a 4-4-2 now. The way things have been going lately, I am expecting AJ up top alone with Fulham repeatedly trying to punt long balls to shortest player on the team. Sheesh, I am in rotten mood. I have no idea what is going to happen in this match. I was hoping and still hope for 3 points. I just hope the players aren't sour about losing Zamora and play like zombies.

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I guess it's time to revise my 1-0 scoreline w/Bobby getting the lone goal. :angry-banghead:

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

:lol:

I'll be in the chat room for this one and crossing my fingers for 3 points.

12. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

We gave away points again. Why are we so fucking complacent? I am sorry, but this is becoming a joke. We don't hold leads or if we are on the road we don't even go for the lead. This never happened under previous managers. We never gave away so many points, especially at home.

13. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

I think I'm glad I missed the chat on this one. But damn, I sure would like to see how many points we've given away on the season. I don't have time to go back and look at the scoring lines, and I guess it would be fairly subjective any way. Glad to see demps got the goal though.

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

15. nevzter

Nice write up by HD, as usual - thank you, sir.

How many times are Fulham going to concede late this term? It's a problem, a damn problem. Some Etuhu late after securing the lead would've done Fulham some good - maybe any fresh legs could've done some good and stopped the scoring sequence before the backline was beat. Good effort overall, and happy to see Mr. Davies back, but I do blame Jol for pissing this one away. Could've bunkered as WBA weren't exactly flying forward after the goal.

Anyway a point and up a place in the table.

Damn you Man City in 3 days.

COYW

16. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Certainly no answer from this effort as to where our other goals are going to come from. Bottom line is we have to win games at home against beatable opponents closer to us than the Mans and other big boys at the top. These are critical points we're dropping, for sure. Just hope the "good" Fulham show up at City and we give them a good go like we did at the Cottage. Hopefully some more scoring threats will emerge soon. otherwise it's gonna be squeaky bum time down the stretch.

17. articbob

articbob Member

I know Jol loves to keep his starters on the field as long as possible, but this was a game where you could have rested some of your regulars for City and then sub in Demps or AJ if needed. The way he made adjustments at halftime during the Newcastle game was great. I felt I was watching a different man on the sidelines. I think we are all wondering what's going on in Martin Jol's head. Imagine how the players feel. Still a point is a point and some momentum is better than none. After all we have 2 wins, 2 draws and 1loss in our last 5 matches. Hopefully Dembele will be back and our passing and forward pressure will improve.

COYW!! City awaits!!

18. SCFulhamFan

While I am certainly not happy with the late goal certainly WBA could have scored a few times earlier. Stockdale had to make some good saves so we wouldn't have been down. I think as a whole our passing was impressive. Not having a striker was best summed up in the first half when we crossed it into the box and no one was there. Once we get AJ/Trotta/Pog/Sa up there we should be getting more goals. CIty will be a tough challenge, but Everton showed they are not perfect.

Here to to 27 points, a full 3 wins from the drop zone! :eek:bscene-drinkingbuddies:

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

My immediate reaction was one of complete disappointment to lose 2 valuable points in last 10 minutes. But after thinking it over some more, I was really nervous at the start of the match, and didn't think Fulham would get a goal to begin with. Roy certainly gets his teams playing really well defensively, and we didn't have our usual strikers on hand. But does that matter when you have Clint Dempsey getting the goals this season?

I think Ruiz did really well up top, and may perhaps need to play that role for the rest of the season. But can Fulham please stop punting long balls to him? He doesn't win those headers. Thanks.

Overall, I am very displeased that we dropped 2 points, and hope all these lost points don't come back to haunt the team. I am sure we are safe from the drop, but I wish the team had more points to make that very clear.

20. nevzter

I agree that he did well and let's see what he can do when he plays off a true target man, which leads me to...what the hell was with all of punts to Ruiz with Dempsey playing off him? I don't think he won any of them and our esteemed representative from DC is correct.

COYW