Fulham v Spurs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SoCalJoe, Jan 17, 2019.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Hard to be optimistic going into this one. Apart from Anfield, the scoreline of 4-1 seems to pop up anytime we play a Top 6 side.

Spurs lost Kane for 6 to 8 weeks, but they aren’t exactly devoid of talent. They’ll be looking to kill us off quickly after losing to ManUre 1-0 last (more like they lost to David De Gea who stood on his head) week.

Expecting a loss, but hope the boys put in a shift and show the same fight they did earlier this week (put the yoga instructor on the bench :D). Stranger things have happened and perhaps we can nick a result heading into a huge match against Brighton & Hove to end January.

nevzter and encorespanish like this.
  2. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Plain and simple this is going to be a beat down.

nevzter likes this.
  3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

BarryWhite and MicahMan like this.
  4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I just wanna see if the dude with the red 'fro is any good.

sacffc and nevzter like this.
  5. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

6. SullyTexan

SullyTexan Active Member

Just hoping for some signs of life. A strong competitive match would nice even if the Whites lose, to give some hope that a great escape is possible.

7. jumpkutz

I’m gonna throw caution to the wind and predict an upset. I don’t care how deep you are, losing players like Harry Kane and Son Heung-min hurts. Son in particular was having a career season before departing for national team duty in the Asian Cup. We’ll still have our hands full with Dele, Eriksen, Lamela and even Llorente, but tbey’re not world beaters. Defensively, Vertonghen and Alderweireld are solid, but not impenetrable.
    A lot will depend on what kind of form Hugo Lloris is in. If he stands on his head, we’ll struggle...he’s got the best reflexes in the world, imho. But...he doesn’t always handle the ball well or make good decisions with, especially with his feet. Still, they are a lot better than us. I just feel like we’re due for a decent performance...and some GOOD footy luck.

MicahMan and HatterDon like this.
  8. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Babel goes straight into the starting XI:

Rico
    Odoi, LeMarchand, Ream
    Christie, Chambers, Seri, Bryan
    Schurrle, Mitrovic, Babel

Subs: Bettinelli, Sessegnon, Kebano, Cairney, Cisse, Ayite, Vietto

Most of yesterday's matches did not resolve favorably for us with many of the lower teams pulling further way. Safety is now 7 points above Fulham.

9. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Ugh. Should’ve turned the tv off when the clock hit 90

10. FulhamTX

FulhamTX Active Member

Such a gut punch. Game that could and probably should have been won. Again. For the second week in a row we lose 2-1 with both goals being gifted to our opponents. If that doesn't say were going down then I don't know what does

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BarryWhite likes this.
  11. SullyTexan

SullyTexan Active Member

Damn that sucked. That’s about all I can add for now.

BarryWhite likes this.
  12. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Fulham just keep finding ways to rip my heart out. Biggest question of the match for me is why was Babel subbed out in the second half? I don't understand that at all since he was very impactful in the first half.

nevzter likes this.
  13. FulhamTX

FulhamTX Active Member

For me, bringing Sess on was the right call, for Schurrle. As you say, Babel was the brightest part of our attack. A Babel/Mitro/Sess front 3 might have gotten us a second goal

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

14. jumpkutz

Did I say we were overdue for some good footy luck? Yeah. We still are. The dude with the red ‘fro can play, though.

15. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I was genuinely puzzled by when and who our subs were today. This one hurt. It's nearly 8 hours later and I'm still in a bad mood.

encorespanish, nevzter and BarryWhite like this.
  16. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

Another box checked on the list of you-gotta-me-kidding-me ways to lose. Bleah.

I really like Babel, and felt that the team I saw today still has a chance to stay up. Wouldn't it be nice if Babel did for us this year what Mitrovic did for us last year ...

encorespanish, nevzter and BarryWhite like this.
  17. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

And I witness Fulham concede in the dying moments for the 746th time...still not numb to the disappointment though.

encorespanish likes this.
  18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

He hadn't played since November. He wasn't fit enough for 90 minutes

19. jumpkutz

At some point you just gotta say we’re not good enough to be in this league. Now’s the time, I guess. I’m rethinking my previous assertions that we’d have been better off keeping more of the players from May 26th out there than we did. Would Bettinelli, Targett, Odoi, Ream, Fredericks and McDonald conceded goals like Niagra Falls?
    Probably. But the new guys weren’t markedly better. I’m not sure anybody on our squad deserves to be in Prem right now.

20. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

What stood out for me in this game was how small we are, how we physically looked like a JV team.

Granted, it's Spurs, but only Mitro, Schurrle and Christie could size up with any of the opposition--and the last two stink. Kebano looked like a teenager out there. Sess is a teenager.

Nope jump, we aren't good enough to be in the league. You can blame basically anything and everything, and you'd probably be both correct and incorrect. We're certainly not Huddersfield, but we just aren't good enough.