Fulham v Spurs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by omsdogg, Aug 30, 2007.

1. jmh

jmh New Member

Heehee, I like that. Mind if I borrow it?

2. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Haha, as long as you give me due credit, sure.

3. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I didn't think Bouazza was that bad, I thought at times he gave Spurs trouble and did well getting down the wings. Some sh!t corners and crosses...anywho, funny how people watching the same game can have different opinions.

4. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Yeah, I also wonder how seeing the game live will change someone's opinions. To me, it felt like every time I saw Bouazza he was giving the ball away. But I really don't know how he was moving without the ball, spreading the defense, etc., which you could probably speak to since you were there.

But yeah, I thought he was the worst Fulham player, other than the defense.

5. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Bouazza did cause some problems for the Spurs defense. Albeit not many, but he did have glimpses of something special.

Again, for me the player who performed the worst is Baird. He continues to get caught out time and again. I wonder what it will take to get Volzy a start. Granted, the entire defense performed poorly. Baird just so happened to stick out as the weakest link in the Fulham side.

6. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Baird is still new to the Premier League. Obviously Sanchez knows a lot about Baird and thinks he can do the job... maybe he just needs time. Our defense is also entirely new, but for Bocanegra who may go to the bench once Hughes is ready to play. Most other teams' b-lines have been playing together for a couple of years. It takes time to get it to work.

Sanchez knows what he's doing and knows the defense sucks, and will manage it as best he can.

There also aren't that many quality defenders around to transfer in. Newcastle and Sunderland have struggled rebuilding their defenses as well.

7. WVfulhamfan

WVfulhamfan New Member

If he knows the defense sucks and lacks pace, I don't understand why he has them playing so high. I understand using the offsides trap, but they have been beaten by it way too many times. I like to see Volz get more playing time. On Bale's goal, I thought he was freed up by Baird being out of position. I also agree with you though, I think Sanchez will manage it, and we will get better defensively with more games and maybe if Hughes gets in there.

8. Lyle

Lyle New Member

The reason for the high line, I think, is too generate more offense... so it is more of an offensive posture rather than a defensive one.

Scoring goals was a huge problem last year, especially in the second half of the season. And you can't win games if you don't score goals. So I think Sanchez may think that as long as Fulham can score goals once the team gels the defense will solidify to a point where it can play the high line and at least not concede more than 2 goals a game. Otherwise if they play deeper they will have to go with the long ball more often, I think. And Fulham's fan don't really want to watch the long ball game.

9. WVfulhamfan

WVfulhamfan New Member

That is a very good point Lyle. I guess for me though, I think the positives with that philosphy don't outweigh the negatives. They were getting beaten by playing the high line too many times against both Tottenham and Aston Villa. I think they can keep a deeper line, and still have a good attack, pushing the defense up the wings, when the chance is presented and also playing through to the midfield, which has done a pretty good job for us so far.

10. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

i agree. if you look at goals scored, only 'pool as scored more than fulham. and fulham is tied with tottenham and everton for second-most goals scored (we're also tied for second in goals allowed). but if you look inside in the numbers 6 of 'pools were against derby, and 4 of spurs versus the same team. granted, 3 of spurs were against us but you get my point.

we're scoring goals and it needs to stay like that. our goals against needs to drop. like now.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Word

I made this comment in the chatroom. If you have defenders that are a little slow on the turn -- Baird and Stephanovich are good examples --you don't play them so far forward that they have to turn and pursue people who spring the off-side trap. Some folks -- Micah Richards and Pascal Chimbonda for example -- have got pace to burn and so can be all kinds of adventurous. I realize that this is an agressive move, but it almost was suicidal -- especially so since we played a center-half who had been in the squad less than two full days.

Having said all that, I also have faith in Sanchez [although it seems to come and go].

12. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I think Sanchez is counting on the defense giving up some goals with the high line as long as we score.

13. tibor

tibor New Member

I think its all an elaborate plan by Sanchez in conjunction with US Soccer to make the sport more appetizing to Americans by creating a team in England full of Yanks playing 3-3 matches every week.

14. cottagerinmemphis

cottagerinmemphis New Member

I'd love to see "GOOCH" on the backline for Fulham!!!

15. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Gooch would not do well I think. His feet and mind weren't up for the task at Newcastle.

16. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Ok - So in about the 70th minute I stopped watching the game and went to church.. I didnt know until I saw the highlights later that it finished 3-3. It was 3-1 when I left.

So being both a Tottenham and Fulham fan - after watching the remainder of the Match on DVR I was happy and amazed.

Things totally turned around when they pulled Keane. HORRIBLE DECISION! He makes a huge difference and pulling your captain is retarded. He was not happy about it, and now he gets to feel justified.

Fulham really came on late - Dempsey played TOUGH. I was really impressed with his effort and dangerous point play - even on the ground. The defense is crap. Boca did not look good, and Niemi is a dope. But that has been covered already.

One thing for discussion - I have noticed that Dempsey doesnt look like he is liked by the other players and I am not so sure he likes very many of them either.

I hate seeing people pushing teammates away during celebrations, or running away from their teammates. That is Lame, and since dempsey has done so well to score regularly then I get to analyze the relationships between the players based on their celebrations.

Am I reading into this too much? I mean - when I score my buddies all run up and I run to them. I dont run away and push them away and make faces that look like they are bugging the hell out of me...

17. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

it's working!!!!! :banana:

18. WVfulhamfan

WVfulhamfan New Member

I disagree. I think he is getting along fine with his teammates. During all three goal celebrations, he and his teammates seemed very happy. Just look back at the picture of how happy he is after Kamara scored. AmericanMike posted the picture earlier in this thread.

[​IMG]

19. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Yeah, someone at the OFFAL started a thread about whether or Dempsey is "arrogant" and not liked by people. The first person on him after he scored against Villas was Healy. And Dempsey has been on top of people after he celebrated, like Smertin and Kamara.

All is well I think.

20. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

A spontaneous showing of emotion is fantastic...but, ya gotta act like you've been there before. Much cooler.