Fulham v Spurs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by omsdogg, Aug 30, 2007.

1. BC

BC New Member

Holy s**t, what a match! I was already forming my post-match post in my head after the first half and it was going to be "we are going to be relegated". But what a comeback! Incredible.

Our defence is terrible though. Aside from Konch, we were horrible. Baird is an awful liability. I hope Hughes can provide some stability when he comes back.

Gotta love our spirit, though. If our back line can gel, we'll be ok.

And Deuce! Yeah, baby! Whoever was slagging him is now eating their words. I'm glad to see him come into his own.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I don't think it would be inappropriate to say Dempsey operates on a higher level than the rest. That was feckin' great!

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I was sitting here racking my brain but I cannot remember seeing Dempsey play a better all-around game than he played today. Did anyone else notice how far back Sanchez played him after the game was tied?

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Well, there were *three* strikers on the field at that point. Gotta bring the rest of the troops back to defend in that case.

The high defensive line scares me. If someone breaks through, Konchesky has the recovery speed to get back, maybe Bocanegra, but not Christanval or Stefanovic, and DEFINITELY not Pearce or Baird (who got TORCHED on Bale's goal). Not sure about Hughes.

You know who'd have the recovery speed to play a high line like that? Liam Rosenior. [​IMG]

5. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

I wonder if making CB captain puts more pressure on him than he's ready for. I like the idea, but I worry that it divides his focus, especially in a match where the back line had barely had time to introduce themselves, and Niemi needed WAY more support while he worked out the heebie-jeebies in the first half.

I was really glad to see Niemi back on form during the second half, though some of his choices were still questionable. I'm too young to be suffering from two hours of heart palpitations on a regular basis, but that's what watching these kinds of games does to me!

Three good goals for Fulham, and if we can continue to build on that (and maybe teach the back line how not to panic), we can improve. I agree with the pace problems of the back line-- Boca's just not that fast, Baird clearly isn't, and Stefanovic seemed to play best away from the goal, not near it. You're right, jmh--Liam's speed and work rate would really have come into play here.

COYW!

6. rsl2000

rsl2000 New Member

USMNT Coach Bob Bradley has used Clint Dempsey up front on a few occasions during the Gold Cup and I thought it worked out well. Nice to see him get a chance to do it in the league. He was so Aggressive today. I love seeing him up front. He needs to be there more often. I would like to see Deuce, Kamara, and Healy as a 3 man rotation up top.

7. general125

general125 New Member

I watched the game on the DVR. It was incredible. This one point is just as good as three in my book. I was pacing and cheering by myself in my living room the last 20 minutes. I need to learn some Fulham chants. Those visiting Spurs fans were loud. I only heard things like "Martin Jol's Yid Army" kind of chants.

Dempsey was fantastic. I like how the American players on this team clearly give their all, every game. That second goal was possible because even though Dempsey was on the ground he got the ball to Smertin. He was the man of the match. I may keep this match on the DVR and show it to my soccer skeptics.

Oh, and Baird stinks. It's clear that's teams are attacking FFC on Baird's side. They are being successful attacking his side as well.

8. Jacob

Jacob New Member

9. andyns

andyns New Member

For everyone who says Fulham only get bad luck; remember today.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

yup

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Anyone else see Dempsey trying to get Kamara jacked up while they were at midfield right before 2nd half kick-off?

You could tell Dempsey was trying to get him to believe. I think, through his actions and one hell of a pass to Smertin, Kamara got Demps' message.

12. BarryP

BarryP New Member

This was a poorly phrased question. What I wanted to know was how far back was Dempsey playing after the game was tied? On TV it looked like he was playing with or behind the fullbacks.

13. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I'm quoting myself here and wanted to thank God for making that match 'FULHAMISH'.

2nd, it was great to see off the Yids. And I know he probably won't read this but for the Spurs d!ckhead that was talking crap to me outside of the Hammy before kick off (that spurs would win 4-0) I thought of you all 2nd half and glad you can eat your words.

What a match and what a second half atmosphere...after our second it was great and after the bicycle kick it was electric. I heard from the yanks that I brought and they will be back ASAP.

We were outplayed but never lost sight of our goal and that is Fulham.

Hope all of you who watched on TV jumped up and down as we did at the Cottage after we equalized. WOW.

Come on Fulham!!

14. americanmike

I don't know why, but I live this photo:
    [​IMG]

15. americanmike

16. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I'm torn on Baird. At times, he looks like he could be a really good player, I'm just not sure he'll ever be a fullback. I'd like to see what he can do as a centre-back or even as a holding midfielder. Volz should start at RB, but that doesn't mean I'd like to see Baird dropped from the squad. I miss Liam, I actually think would have been a really good fit in Sanchez' system.

Mulligans go to Niemi and Stefanovic, for it being their first matches. I think Pearce and Keller should have started today, but the result was good, and hopefully those guys got a chance to shake off any rust.

17. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

18. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

I am just coming out of shock from that bike kick to pull level. I have to say that goes down as one of the best draws I have EVER seen. We made a great moral win and bagged a MUCH needed 1 point!!!

When LS put in 4 up front I was going crazy. You can tell that he really knows how to play to a home crowd. I really wish Collins John would do something this year though. He just always seems lost when he comes on.

As a side note Spurs were in full voice. Heard the Black and White Army and Come on Fulham. But "Spurs go marching in" was sad to say much louder. Would have liked to hear more from the home crowd.
    Thanks to Mike for the "fulhamish" vote. You can't get the meaning across anymore then last week and this week.
    COYW!

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I know why, and I love that photo too. Worth a multitiude of words, and hopefully a sign of the future.

20. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well quite the game. Thank god we got a point. And omg what a goal, probably the best I've seen since watching Fulham.

That said, it was the worst performace of the season. Really extreemly poor at times. Yet somehow we scored three goals and got a point. Amazing. You've got to love this sport.