Fulham v Sheffield Wednesday

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Jan 1, 2016.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Sheffield Wednesday comes to the Cottage on Saturday and I hope that our first game under Jokanovic is like the last time Wednesday came to visit. The 4-0 win was probably my favorite match of last season. It had what I thought should have been the goal of the year from Christensen, one of my favorite saves from Bettinelli as he stopped a shot from flat on his back, and a great show of sportsmanship when McCormack allowed Woodrow to take a PK for his first goal of the season. This marked the emotional high-water mark of the Kit Symons era.

SoCalJoe and HatterDon like this.
  2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Wonderful memories -- especially that LVC run. What might have happened had he not gotten injured? And what other 20-goal striker gives up a penalty opportunity?

I think I'm going to miss this one -- visitors -- but I'd like to see a tjl special 3-1 victory.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Very curious about how the boys will play. The Rotherham win was expected, so let's see a step up in competition fares. One positive is Wed. is a minus 5 GD on the road, with only 2 wins compared to 5 losses. However, they do draw quite a bit away with 5 1 pointers.

4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

A first look at the choices by Jokanovic:

Lonergan
    Richards, Stearman, Burn, Ream
    Mattila, O'Hara, Hyndman, Kačaniklić
    McCormack, Dembélé

Subs: Lewis, Garbutt, Hutchinson, Parker, Christensen, Smith, Woodrow

Has Mattila even played this year as a sub? I don't know anything about him. Glad to see Hyndman making the starting lineup again. I'm shocked Cairney isn't in the lineup at all - unless there is an injury I don't know about.

COYW!!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Listened in from 35 minutes in. According to Sean, their goal comes from a shot so outlandish that you BEG your opponents to take it. Evidently, Mantila the Hun was the best player on the pitch for the first half; Sean and GJ were puzzled at his being subbed out.

Sounded to me as if Fulham decided at half-time to pretend WE had a 1-0 lead. I believe the only incursion into their penalty are in the last 45 was when Woodrow -- a sub -- charged in a just missed. The overall stars of the game were the Wednesday supporters -- they were as loud and unstoppable as Swansea's were when we beat them in the Cup a while back [they were in the Championship/we were in the Prem].

As I had expected, there were changes from Tuesday. I think he wanted to see several of the players missing on Tuesday performing under match conditions. Ross was well withdrawn and Moussa ran alone up front -- evidently not effectively -- until Woodrow came on. My guess? Joke knows there's no chance to get us promoted and just wants to find out the 15-18 people he can count on for the rest of the season.

6. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

7. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Totally agree with you there Don. In fact, I wonder if he might be looking to put a stronger team out against Wednesday on Saturday in the FA Cup. I don't think we are in real danger of relegation so if the season is a wash, why not see what you can do in the Cup? A strong run there might quiet the inevitable critics more than anything that can be done in the Championship at this point.

And that really was a great goal from Wednesday. Although Lonergan was great, I hate matches where our goalie is the Man of the Match. Always a bad sign.

8. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

9. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

So it doesn't look like we have a new thread for the FA Cup match against Wednesday. Might as well re-use this one eh?

Lineup:
    Lonergan
    Richards, Hutchinson, Burn, Garbutt
    Cairney, Christensen, O’Hara, Kačaniklić
    Woodrow, McCormack

Hutchinson and Burn at CB. Hmmmm

On the plus side I think we are playing Wednesday's "B" team. No Hooper or Forestieri, but our nemesis Ross Wallace is still in there.

10. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member