Fulham v Norwich

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, Apr 9, 2014.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Perhaps the biggest game of the season. And we've said it before and have been let down by the result. But if Fulham win this match I see them soon after swapping places with Norwich and claim safety. So please, please win this match. If not for survival sakes, then do it for Jumpkutz--who will be celebrating his 30th with his missus in the stands. Win it for them. :pray:

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Here here.. The club has put itself in a position where even an upturn in results might not be enough, but this is one of the 3 teams we most likely have a chance to finish above, but only if the fellas get the 3 points on Sat. Win it for Jump and Mrs.Jump, win it for us morons who are getting up at 5:30 to get together in Studio City, win it for all the faithful gathering in the chatroom, win it for you, win it for me, win it for themselves, in other words WIN IT!!!!!!! COYW!!!!!!!!

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I will say prayers and light candles. And nice job to the Southern Cal. group.
    COYW!!

4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I've been holding on to a slim hope for weeks that we can avoid relegation. Since we hit bottom in February I figured we needed to win a minimum of five matches to avoid a drop. The loss to Cardiff and the draw at West Brom made that seem unlikely, and it still is. Wins against Newcastle and Villa brought the number to three. With three home games against teams in the bottom half of the table, 9 more points is in the realm of possibility but still a long shot. That makes this game against Norwich pretty much a must win. Unfortunately the same can be said for Norwich, so both sides should be playing with desperate fervor on Saturday. We wouldn't be mathematically out with a loss, but I'd lose any hope I had left if that happened.

If we get 9 points in the last 5, that puts us at 36. Figure that Palace, Villa, and Swansea will have at least that by the end of the year, so we could only finish ahead of West Brom and Norwich. With a game in hand, I fear that West Brom has a good chance to finish above 36. Which means it comes down to Norwich. With games against the top end of the table after Fulham, and all who will likely have something to play for with the exception of Man. U, Norwich could end up with zero points for the remainder of the year.

Maybe we could get by with only two wins in the last five, but one of them must be against Norwich. Its all or nothing this week! Beat Norwich and keep the dream alive!! COYW!!!

5. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

6. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I believe that means Dembele will feature in the Dr. Pepper Dallas Cup

http://www.dallascup.com/

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hope to be in the chatroom for an early morning victory

9. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I was wondering what the youth squad was doing in the US. That should be fun for Hyndman since he was born in Dallas and previously with FC Dallas.

I probably won't be around for chatting tomorrow morning. We have a family outing planned and Sunday's weather looks brutal, so we're going Saturday.

There is only one thing to be said about this match though. We must WIN! Like others, I feel like this is the ultimate do or die match. There's not much chance of us catching anyone but Norwich, so we must beat them.

COYW!

10. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I'll be watching Katie play in the morning so here's my COYW's early. Fulham get three points here and its game on for the rest of the season.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Last year's Dallas Cup was very entertaining. Games ARE available on-line -- LEGALLY.

12. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I'm feeling like belief is trying to creep back in for me. I desperately would like to believe again. Hopefully we can get the win and it'll be restored.

But it's not yet...so 2-2 draw.

***looking at NBCSN's translation of the lineup sheets makes me wonder if they watch Fulham at all. Or maybe Felix really will start Riether in midfield and Richardson at lb. :roll:

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Felix played Riether as a midfielder in Germany

14. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Anyone see the big Fulham flag going over the Hammersmith end?

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I wish I did. Are there any photos of it online yet?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it pretty quick on twitter:

[​IMG]

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

That was a nailbiter and Stockdale was once again, the man. I'm with Ag, there's time yet to believe in an improving chance. The run in should be fun.

COYW!

17. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

18. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Wow. Missed the flag, but not much else. Will post pics when I get home, but I still don't know how we won. From pitchside, it sure looked like we got outplayed, but at least Felix and the lads have, at least temporarily, stopped the goal hemorrhaging. Stockdale and many others saved our bacon again. Didn't hurt that it was Norwich, either.
    Initial thoughts and impressions: Norwich support was outstanding. It may have been our location, but they seemed louder and more enthusiastic than the home support, even the Hammersmith End.
    The club needs to spruce up the exterior of the Cottage and preserve both it and the Haynes Stand for posterity. ALL of the other stands need to be replaced ASAP, not just the Riverside.
    We need better players. It was glaring to even a novice that many of the guys in white shirts had no business being in the Premier League. As far as individual play, was most impressed with Sidwell, Holtby , Dejagah and, of course, Stockdale. Was least impressed with Diarra and Amorebieta.
    Fulham fans are a lot like Cardinal baseball fans. They don't get too worked up, but they're very serious students of the game who don't do a lot of dithering whilst the match is ongoing. Like many venues, they need a reason to get excited, and they exploded when Hugo stuck that corner in. Very civilized, yet very much into the game. No one around us was a distraction. They were focused on the pitch. That's the way I like it.

Will post more when I can, but probably not until we get home. Thanks to all who helped with my seat acquisiton. You are greatly appreciated, and I'm proud to call you friend and fellow Whites supporter.
    And now, for our next trick...THE FA CUP SEMIFINAL AT WEMBLEY BETWEEN SHEFFIELD AND HULL! Mrs. Jump is probably gonna sit this one out, so if any of you fancy a match at the world home of football, you may have just have time, depending on where you live, to catch a plane and join me if you go to the airport right now. But I digress.
    A HUGE three points, for sure. Do we still have a chance? Not really, but it's better than zero, which would have been the case had we lost or tied this one. And no rain! How lucky are we? Who's next? COYW!

19. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip Jump, did you get together w/Arbeck? The acoustics is something people like LBNo11 and other season ticket holders have always said the club needs to address. The away end is the loudest part of the ground.

A very surreal day for Tim, my buddy Carlos and I, and YankeeJim at the pub where it was literally us 4 at the best table in the house and 60+ Arsenal fans waiting for the FA Cup match that followed ours (not a single fan of any other team). The Gooner supporters between anti-Spurs chants and groans w/Sunderland near misses against their CL spot rival Everton cheered the lone Fulham goal. James, will disagree w/you about Diarra and Lovebite's performance yesterday. The former should of been subbed off early, but he oozes class and while his knees have betrayed him you can see why he used to start for Madrid. We cringed when we saw Lovebite in the lineup, but we all had to admit that he played well and was heroic in knocking the ball out on an open goal opportunity. The 3 points deserves a :banana-dance: even though the performance wasn't up to the last 3 matches. However, the result is all what mattered, and we've now officially pulled Norwich into the mix.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I've been struggling to say something about the quality of Felix's football. Once I hung up The View From South Texas for the season, I've not been wordsmithing more than a grunt or two. I think I have some sort of analysis about the match yesterday:

If winning when you play like crap is the mark of a great team, then for at least 90+ minutes this past weekend, we were a great team. We're so lucky to have Stockdale in the goal, so lucky that we didn't need the sitter that Dejagah fluffed in the last two or three minutes and SO INCREDIBLY LUCKY that Norwich didn't target Diarra for most of the second half when he ran with all the speed and agility of 67-year-old Hatter Don.

I'm happy for two consecutive 3-point outings against teams we need to beat, but these two results don't fill me with a lot of confidence. We can't keep playing that poorly and continue to stack up results. The thing is ... I think we're capable of playing a quality 90 minutes under Felix. One point away and 6 points at home might keep us up, and that's something possible.