FULHAM V. Middlesbrough [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Dec 11, 2006.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

We deserved to win! We deserved to win!

And we did. Yes, questionable foul for the PK, and it doesn't sit well with me. But we were the better team, without a doubt.

I think that line-up is solid, and can get better with Claus (but where was he?) and that squad playing together more. The men on the field tonight know teamwork, know determination, know how to want and get a win. I'm proud of them.

I didn't miss Boa at all. I didn't miss John. And while Diop is a loveable big African, I just think he doesn't fit the scheme of things these days. I think the current fellas can be special together, in their own gritty, winning way.

More of the same, please!

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

A nice, well deserved win. The penalty was lucky for us Fulham fans as it was not a penalty in my book. However, I will gladly take it.

Good spirit, good energy and good effort from the squad. Let's hope for more of the same against West Ham on Saturday.

3. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

The penalty called for Volz was not nearly as weak as the one called on Rosenoir a few weeks back for Rosy's LEANING on a guy. At least Volz was hit. Plus, I was taught that when someone gives you gift, the proper thing to do is to accept it. So...good on Helguson to put it in for Fulham.

Good effort, good win, let's go drop a hammer on West Ham United! CARRY ON YOU WHITES!

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I'm thrilled to come away with the three points! Exceeded my expectations. Relived to get going in the right direction.

I thought the backline played a good game as did McBride, Heleguson, and Routledge. Bring on the Hammers.

5. dirtyboy

dirtyboy New Member

I just finished watching the match on TiVo. What a relief - those three points, and 11 in the table, will help put me at ease. Let’s go for another 3 this weekend.

6. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I could only keep a passing eye on the game as I was at my office Christmas party and had to convince people to go to a pub with a TV in so I can offer no real comment on the game, except to say that HH's penalty was very cooly taken and "I wish he wouldn't do that!" McB's goal was well taken and 3 points is welcome. COYW.

7. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

A deserved three points last night at a very cold and damp Craven Cottage. Lets cut right to the chase: Christenval is my Man of the Match and being sat in Hammy end, half way up, almost middle of the field, I had a clear view of our defense and Phillippe made key blocks, headers and markings to secure our lead throughout. I think this guy is class and will make a signifigant contribution throughout the season if he can stay healthy.

As for the penalty, it was about time we got one. Simple as that...how many dodgy penalty's were called against us this season?? Helguson though is cool from the spot.

McBrides goal was a funny one. When he received the pass from Radz, he didn't realize how unmarked he was and actually hesitated. I then though the chance was over, only to have McBride get an opening and placed it in the corner. Him and Helguson work well together and realy did work their asses off. Praise to them both.

Michael Brown is a rock in the midfield and does the dirty work...it was about time we had someone like him in our side. Radz baffles me, he is quick, can dribble, make moves but his lack of confidence when moving in on goal is SHOCKING! He had a chance in the first half which he should've buried but instead 'dinked' it right to the keeper.

Routledge: All I'm going to say about him is that I liked him, alot. He has alot to learn but hey, so did you when you were 21...I also love his tricks, just fantastic.

West Ham will be a much tougher opposition but lets hope they are hung over from last weekend and we can play with some consitency and determination.

8. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

wow, i guess i really called this one. 2-1, with boca seeing the pitch.

hat tip to helguson and routledge. lets see what they can do for us down the stretch.

don't know about you, but i'm ready for another three points.

9. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Hmmmmm...... here are my 3 observations from the match.

1- No Boa.....we won.
    2- No Diop....we won.
    3- Christanval is better than Pearce....and we won.

Deep stuff...i know

10. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

I stayed up til 1:00 am so I could watch this before I went to bed, and it was damn worth it. I can't believe how happy I was to have Superhero Niemi back on the pitch--and with the exception of that terrible clearance that led to the Viduka consoloation goal, he was on fire. I LOVE him.

I know you were actually in the stands, AmericanMike, but I thought I heard the TV announcers say that he was good enough to have made it at Barcelona for a while, which I found very interesting. I don't know his story, but he's been solid this season, and while I'm a huge Boca fan, if Christanval keeps playing like that, I'll be behind him 100%.

The Wonder Twins are my absolute favorite combination up top. They work great together, and they score. Helguson's penalty style also kills me--and is super-effective at faking out the keeper. And Brian McB's goal was sweet.

Almost as sweet as his comment to Radz during the goal celebration: "That was a fucking great ball, baby!"

Yeah, it was.

COYW-- 3 more on Saturday.

11. FulhamCMH

FulhamCMH New Member

I was pleasantly stunned to open the Columbus (OH) Dispatch this morning to find a shout-out to BigMac's strike and the Fulham win in the Sports Wire column:

"American forward Brian McBride, a former player for the Columbus Crew, scored his fifth Premier League goal of the season last night, helping Fulham beat Middlesbrough 2-1."

Hundreds of people will probably write to complain that the space should have been used to inform the citizens of Columbus as to what Troy Smith had for lunch on Monday. :D

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Ah... I think the Disgrace probably wont print any of them. Old tired....

I forgot to listen to the locals, particularly Chris Spielman on 1460 this week for how they treated Lamar's passing.

Probaly spent 30 seconds on him with AFL and the Chiefs, etc and added 'and he also owned the Crew'

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Regarding the penalty, the FSC guys focused on Volzy's feet getting caught up with Boateng's, but I have to figure the hand on Volzy's shoulder played a role too, right? (Not that I'm a ref, of course.)

That guy Morrison had some real slick moves on the dribble, but seemed like he didn't know what to do once he got where he was going. Kind of a younger Radz.