Fulham v. ManUre

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveFakeBlood, Dec 19, 2011.

1. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    Hopefully, I'm not out of place, by starting a match thread, if so, I apologize but it seems like there's not an individual who posts all of them, so I thought I'd get this one started.

I'm actually excited for this match. The defense hasn't been up to snuff, lately- but the attack has been looking better and better. Man U has been on a pretty great run of league form, but I think we've still got a chance of getting points from this one for a couple reasons:

1) Loss of focus by Man U. Let's not forget they lost a Carling Cup match at Old Trafford to Crystal Palace less than a month ago. (As my friend Nick noted: "So, Crystal Palace, eh? You [fools] lost to a Zelda level?"- he didn't say "fools", but you get the point). After us, it's home v. Wigan and Blackburn so they may be greedily looking ahead to a relatively easy 6 points and forget about us.

2) We've had Man U's number at home. Man U hasn't won at the Cottage since the '07-08 season and we've won 2 of the last 3. Actually, looking further back, Man U has only won at the Cottage four times in the last 10 seasons (three of those were by one goal- and I believe two of those were relatively late winners).

Our attack's been better, our defense has been shaky- but I think we'll keep the Cottage a fortress and continue Man U's win-less streak here. I predict 1-1 with Dempsey continuing his excellent form.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to be in the chatroom or watch the game live because I have a job interview. Which I'm pretty excited about- so hopefully that day will be a good day for both myself and the Whites.

~ Steve

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yes, Steve, you're totally out of line for starting a match thread. You should be banned for your transgression. But I'll let you slide for now. :cool:

Nah, you're good. Thanks for starting it. I'm looking forward to the match as well. But like you I am hoping our defense can hold up against Man U.

Good luck on your job interview.

I'll be watching it live and will be in the chat. Anybody else up for the chat room?

3. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

DC, is it being aired on FSC?

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yup, Wednesday at 3pm EST, on FSC.*

*also, there will be a replay on FSC at 8pm.

5. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I'll see you in the chatroom Heather, along with anyone else who enters the fray. Good luck Wed, Steve.

I noted in the Bolton thread, we haven't won a Prem match this year when Dempsey hasn't scored, so hopefully he maintains this run of form. He's got 3 goals from our last 4 matches in all competitions.

I'm also looking forward to seeing which United player loses the plot and eats a red. We've seen ManU sent down to 10 men courtesy of Rooney and Scholes in recent years. I'd love to see that tradition continue.

COYW!

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As is still the case, I don't have a TV where I have my computer, so I'll drop into the chatroom at half-time -- when everyone else goes away to ... uh ... whatever.

I'm predicting 1-1. I'd predict a win except for:

1. Rooney is playing some of the best football you can see anywhere.
    2. They have THREE wingers [Nani, Valencia, and Young] who can turn Baird and Riise inside out at their leisure.
    3. They can choose between Hernandez and last season's joint leading goalscorer to sit on the bench.

United will win the league going away. I just hope they feel like we're their hoo-doo side, as we have been for a while now.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I will be in the chatroom as long as incoming relatives dont get in the way.

I still dont know what to make of us this year so no predictions from me. They have as much talent as ever so COYW and Jol dont get in thr friggin' way.

Steve, best of luck on the interview!! Come on you Steve!

8. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Not sure if I'll make the chatroom as I'll be getting ready to got back to work for the second part of my day, but I'll do my best.

Good luck with the interview Steve

9. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Nice, my Wednesday evening is set then! I'll just have to avoid Facebook/Twitter like the plague !

Feeling much better after the Bolton win but beating ManU is still a tall order. Hope to manage a point and am crossing my fingers that they somehow steal the win.

10. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Don, you nailed it...our wing defenders lack quickness, and pace so that's where Manure's speed on the flanks can hurt us. Unfortunately our outside midfielders like to pinch in, but hopefully for this match they'll focus on helping Baird/Riise et al, shore up the wings before going forward.
    We'll get some opportunities on the counter, we just HAVE to finish them!!
    COYW and STEVE!!

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Good luck Steve! And let's get after these guys in red!!

12. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're Man U and, yeah, they've still got more talent than we do....but I say they're ripe to be had. No fear, no retreat, 2-1 Cottagers!

COYW!

13. sfm

sfm Member

I will be in the Jolly Gardeners from about half five, in the corner on the right as you enter off Lacy road, nursing an HSB (hopefully), reading the Private Eye, trying to banish to memory of Nani's rampage in April and wishing for at least a draw this evening.

14. sullytex

sullytex Member

Had the pleasure to attend the 2-0 and 3-0 victories at the cottage a couple of years ago and that was a mighty fine feeling. Not so optimistic today, but then again I was not before the two victories mentioned above. I see a 1 1draw in the cards. Fulham on the defensive but grab one to take a point.

Prob drop by the Richmond Armss or Stags head for anyone in Houston.

15. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Dvr set, now will I have the self-discipline not to check the score? My Magic 8-Ball says 'highly unlikely'. COYW!!

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

that was ugly. quit listening at 4-0...and ooohh, conceded another goal. 5-0. ouch.

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

yup...ugly. Don't think the highlights will be going up for this one. We'll pretend this never happened. *eyes closed, fingers in ears, lalalalalalala*

18. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Ouch. OK, we're not THAT bad, and they're not THAT good ( though obviously closer to the latter than the former). Will hold off on judgment until I can see some video, but obviously some changes need to bemade. What did you who have been following this sport much longer than I have see, or perhaps, not see? Hopefully they didn't just tank at some point.

19. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

We conceded a goal in the first couple of minutes of open play and did absolutely nothing to get back into the game in the first half. So yeah, we gave up. We literally did nothing to get back into the game. It wasn't until the second half that we did anything, but it was to late by then. It was a really pathetic display.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The worst performance I've seen from a Fulham side since Sanchez's last match in charge [0-1 to Newcastle]. We were lifeless.

If you're not too sick, check out my match report on page one!