Fulham v. ManU [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Feb 27, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Alright, dudes -- and dudettes -- our Captain has thrown down the gauntlet and said that the Red Devils had better watch their ass on Saturday [I guess this means 10 guys standing around looking at Ronaldo, but I digress].

Macca, McGod, Iron Head, BMB has said that we're staying up, and we're going to show our mettle on Saturday. Good enough for me.

Simon Davies will be back, but yet another stupid referee trick has deprived us of Andreassen as the midfield enforcer. Anyone for a German converted fullback?

I'll let others do the predicting and the lineups. I know that I've recently departed the ranks of the optimistic, but DAMMIT! The man is MY captain too! COME ON YOU MIGHTY WHITES!

2. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Thank you very much for the 3 points Man U! Just the sort of game where we will get 3 points, right up to the 83rd minute and end up with none. I think we are down this season and frankly I am looking forward to watching us win a few games next year!

However, should we escape relegation I will be over the moon too.

Is Keller fighting fit yet? I hope so, Niemi bottled it again last week against West Ham. He used to be good but now he needs to become a coach. The only real quality a keeper has to have is to put their body on the line and he stopped doing it a long time ago.

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Can someone provide the link where Ironhead challenged his teammates to man up?

4. RDG

RDG Member

5. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

All I know after reading that article is that McGod is in my fantasy team's starting XI.

I think he was calling out Hodgson when he said "I think as soon as we start taking our chances then things will change for us."

When McGod speaks, you better listen.

COYW!!!!!

6. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

From the Eff It! department:

----------------------------------Keller-----------------------------------

-------Saltieri------------Hughes-------Hangeland------------Konch-------

----------------------Volz-----------------------------Smertin-----------------

-----------------------------------Bullard---------------------------------------

----------------Johnson-----------McBride-------------Dempsey------------

Unrealistic I know, but it's not like ManU isn't going to score. So why the hell not?

7. jmh

jmh New Member

He doesn't get some "putting his body on the line" points for getting kicked in the face last weekend? Man, you're HARSH! :wink:

That sounds more like calling out his teammates, to me. A less delicate way to put it would've been "I'm going back to the U.S. over the summer so it doesn't make much difference to me*, but if you a******s want to be playing in the Premier League next year then you'd better start hitting the m*****f***ing net when you get chances to score."

* Yes, I know this is not true and McBride certainly does not want to be the captain of a team that gets relegated; that part was merely for dramatic effect.

8. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... ad&cc=5901

Another article, I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, about our relegation fight, from Dempsey's perspective.

I know I heard a commentator say earlier in the season that we have only been trailing TWICE all season at half, but I can't believe we've lost 25 points from winning posistions. Terribly dissapointing.

Also weve conceded 34 of our 45 goals in the second half this year, it's a good thing I can only watch the first half Saturday or I may not have a TV by the time this one's over.

9. jmh

jmh New Member

That Dempsey article is reprinted on the club webpage if you don't want to give ESPN the click.

10. ja_altieri

ja_altieri New Member

I have a friend who is an Bolton fan and I had mentioned to him last weekend (after getting tired of listening to him cry about how bad their form has been) how I wish I could force him to watch the last ten minutes of all our games and be quiet. After reading the above article yesterday and the stat about the second half, I pulled the stats for him for just the last ten minutes of some of losses and ties and sent these results to him.
    List below:

Lost at Arsenal 2-1 Gave up goals in 84th and 90th minute.
    Lost to Middlesbrough 2-1 Gave up goal in 88th minute
    Lost at Villa 2-1 Gave up goal in 90th minute
    Tied at Wigan 1-1 Gave up goal in 80th minute
    Tied at Sunderland 1-1 Gave up goal in 86th minute
    Lost at Liverpool 2-0 Gave up goals in 81st and 85th minute
    Lost 1-0 to Newcastle Gave up goal in 90th minute
    Lost to West Ham 1-0 Gave up goal in 87th minute

We also gave up a tie to Blackburn on a 79th minute goal which I didn't include.

When he got this he laughed and promised no more crying. We had some nice goals late which gave us a few points (latest Villa win and Tottenham tie come to mind) but if the last ten minutes weren't played this season I figure we would have at least 8 more points. Just sad.

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I nominate this as the most depressing post of the week.

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Let's see they had Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Nani amongst their attacking options last week (Scholes and Saha came in as SUBS), our guys couldn't hit water right now if they fell out of a boat...I must be a lunatic, but I won't be shocked to see the Whites come away w/a point Sat. (3 points however would defy description)

A message to Roy; don't play w/1 up front, that's like barricading your windows, but leaving the front door unlocked against these thieves.

Let's be honest, they'll dominate for large portions of the match, but if the boys can get their teeth into it, ride the wave from the home fans, catch them a little flat and overconfident (w/an eye on the CL), take the one or two chances, this could be the day the fortunes are turned.

that or we'll be like the zebra in steve's avatar

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Josh, GBFC is pointing out that all of this happened because Niemi is hesitant to downright slow to take control in his penalty area. keller, and 95% of EPL goalkeepers period would have claimed that ball before Solano got there. We've basically been trading Niemi's shot blocking reflexes for Keller's positioning sense, courage off the line, and ability to start counter-attacks. While I believe the Flying Finn kept us up last year when our strikers forgot how to score, I also belive his timidity in the penalty area has cost us about 6 or 8 points. Get the bald guy out!

New topic: best news of the week is that Vidic probably won't feature for ManU. Yes, I know that'll only mean that Brown will partner Ferdinand in the center, but Vidic is their best defender, aerial presence, and threat on corners. McBride has to be pleased to hear that news.

14. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

That is very good news Don, it is hard to stop McBride even when you do have your top aerial presence but without Vidic and with us featuring Hangeland, Dempsey, AND McGod...I like our shot from set pieces and corners, now if we can only get the ball into Man U's end of the pitch.

I also like our chances if we play the posession game we seemed to master of late. If we hold onto the ball and have the build up we had against West Ham we have to finish a chance sooner or later??? or maybe just later...

Oh yeah, and if we have the ball that means that Ronaldo doesn't...I think.

COYW!!!

15. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

much like how i cant stop watching the wire even though its gone south, i'm too dedicated to fulham to simply leave.

anyway, if woy throws out a 4-5-1 we're screwed.

but manyoo may be ripe for the plucking as they tend to lose matches after going on their winning runs. and they recently crushed arse 4-0 in the fa cup, nicked a draw against lyon, and demolished newcastle 5-1.

if we can get a point, i'll be happy.

COYW!!!!

16. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I'm going for the American theme of "no guts, no glory". If I was in charge of the team, I'd do a solid 4-2-4 in la la land, and a 4-3-3 in reality.

I'd like to see Kamara/Johnson or Bouzza on the left forward position. Both have shown us their pace all season long, and that may be well enough with Simon back and Duece on the other side. McBride in the middle, and Kamara/Johnson on the right. I don't know who is better with what foot, hence the dual naming.

So my final line up ...

--------------- Niemi ----------------
    Stalteri --- Hughes --- Bocanegra --- Konch
    Dempsey ----- Bullard ----- Davies
    EJ ---- McLovin' ---- Kamara/Bouazza

I still put us with at least a tie, and maybe a crowd roaring win in the last 80 minutes at home. Oh the glory to be at the Cottage this weekend.

17. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

No Hangeland quickdraw???

Here's my stab at it. For some reason RH plays for a draw on the road or even at home against everybody but probably Derby.

That being said I am going out on a limb and saying he'll use a....4-5-1...shit...

well I can dream can't I...so here's what I'd like to see anyways although there is no hope as RH will play Baird at CB, leave Boca out, and keep Murphy and Niemi in...

--------------------Keller-----------------------

Stalteri--Hangeland---Hughes--Konchesky

------------------Bocanegra-------------------
    --Dempsey-------Bullard------------Davies--

-----------McBride----------Johnson----------

Oh what a dream land I live in...Cousin would look good right about now next to McBride in this line-up...oh what a dream land I live in!

COYW!!!

18. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I can't help but laugh at the tough talk from Mcbride. I'm sorry, but how many games now have we had where we were supposed to show that we had a chance of staying up now and failed miserably? I cannot recall the number, but I believe it is ever game past Birmingham. I want to be optimistic, but I have a funny feeling that we will all be crying at our 4-0 loss against United.

19. jmh

jmh New Member

Hate to be a pessimist, but I think ManUre being without Vidic is just the difference between us losing 3-0 or 3-1.

20. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

You are a pessimist indeed, regardless of how true that may be!