Fulham v. Leeds

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Oct 19, 2015.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Leeds is on a three game losing streak and although those losses were against three of the top four teams, they have just sacked their manager. Former Rotherham manager Steve Evans is taking over temporarily. Hopefully we can take advantage of their disarray when they visit and get three points on Wednesday.

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

GaskillFC likes this.
  3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Wow, what a mess they've been, not long ago they were in the Champions League semi-final (2001). Perfect example of what happens when there is no stability at the top. Want to predict a 2-0 or 3-1 win, but these type of games are the reason the word 'Fulhamish' was invented.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If we can keep 11 men on the pitch, we win.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  5. SoCalJoe

I don't want to look it up, but the dreaded red has appeared under these exact circumstances more than once the last season + at this level.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

nothing on TV and, I assume, not on line either. Chatroom for Panyo here.

7. jumpkutz

Speaking of reds, when is Cairney's card suspension end?

8. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

The Leeds match will be his third out. So he should be good to go Saturday.

Leeds always seems to be a mess, but yet they manage to screw up my Tipping League. Unfortunately I picked a Fulham victory, so we may be doomed to an unsightly home defeat.

9. jumpkutz

Just checked Leeds' roster. They still have the three goalscorers from the 3-nil whitewash last season at the Cottage, but that was the match where Stafylidis ('member him?) got two yellow cards within a minute just after halftime. Our netter in the 1-nil win for the Whites earlier at Elland Road was Hugo. All of which is to say there is no way to predict results in this crazy league.

encorespanish likes this.
  10. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

Getting very, very tired of being outplayed at home. From listening to the game it seems like we were lucky to get a point. At this point in the season we've let so many winnable games slip through our fingers.

3 points against Reading, or I'll be on the Kit out bandwagon.

11. SoCalJoe

To your home form point CC, we are 2-2-2 at The Cottage. Teams that compete for playoff spots dominate at home. From the sounds of it, our 3rd string GK was the main reason a point was earned if not deserved.

12. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I only got to listen to the 2nd half but it was the same old thing. They dictated the match. I have no clue why we don't come out aggressively or why we are so quick to cede control when the other side are aggressive. But it happens every single match. The opposition approach determines our results. For that reason, I don't need to see any more, Kit needs to go. I still think we're a couple of pieces short of challenging for promotion anyway, but we won't get there with Kit regardless.

Fredericks & Lewis were the bright spots. O'Hara seems to be fading & probably would benefit from sitting out a match. McCormack was a passenger in the 1st half with only 13 touches (fewest of anyone on the pitch by a comfortable margin) & Dembele went missing in the 2nd. No goals from corners again though. Yeah!

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Until Jol hit town, we dominated at home EVERY season. I've been fighting the mindless "Kit Out" brigade for almost a calendar year now, but if we ever had a reason to come out as bullies and dominate for 90 minutes it was today.
    First we get this with Mexico and Costa Rica; now we get it with Kit. You're the home team, dammit. Make them dance to YOUR tune.

encorespanish and jumpkutz like this.
  14. jumpkutz

The first part of your observation is largely true, except for when the big boys came to town. While we generally acquitted ourselves well, I wouldn't say we dominated at home. But we won the most of the matches we should've won at home, yes. Now, not so much. If ever a match was set up for a rousing home win, it was this one. Not only did it not happen, we basically dropped two points we didn't deserve anyway. And let's be honest. Modern day football managers are on a de facto game to game contract. Doesn't matter what the ink on the legal document says the length of terms are, that's just the reality. If we don't show a lot more gumption against Reading AT HOME, even though they are currently a top table squad, it's time to make a change. Sticking with Kit after another lackluster showing at the Cottage is perpetuating a no win scenario. Would truly be a shame, but he's had his chances.

15. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Leeds has become my least favorite team to play. When I hear their supporters singing I feel like the Grinch because of the "noise, Noise, NOISE!!!"

Highlights:

16. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Actually Jump, that's not correct. I remembered that run we had over United at the Cottage & was certain we'd taken more scalps. So I went back through the records & results of the last 7 full seasons.

Roy's 1st full season was 08/09. We were 11-3-5 @ home with 28 GF & 14 GA (+14). Beat Arsenal, Spurs & United @ home. Drew City & Chelsea. The losses were Everton, Liverpool, Blackburn, Hull & Spam. Fulhamish.

In 9/10 we had the same home record of 11-3-5, 27 GF & 15 GA (+12). Scalped Everton, United & Liverpool while drawing Spurs. We did lose to Chelsea, Arsenal & City.

Hughes took over for 10/11. We went 8-7-4 with 30 GF & 23 GA (+7). No major wins but drew Arsenal, Chelsea, United & Everton. Lost to City, Liverpool & Spurs. Hughes did improve our road record, fwiw.

Here's where Don is wrong (slightly). Jol took over for 11/12 & we went 10-5-4 with 36 GF & 26 GA (+10). Beat Arsenal & Liverpool, drew Chelsea & City, lost to United, Spurs & Everton. That's a good year.

But then it starts to go to shit. 7-3-9 in 12/13 with -2 GD. Lost to all of the big boys, drew Everton.

5-3-11 under the 3 headed monster with a -14 GD in 13/14. Didn't beat or draw anyone significant at home.

Year 1 in the Championship, we went 9-5-9, -2 GD. If Roy could win 11 of 19 in the Prem, a sub .500 home record in the Championship is criminal.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015