Fulham v Juve (18th Mar)

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by sullytex, Mar 15, 2010.

1. RobG4

RobG4 New Member

2. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As Matt mentioned earlier, I missed the event at the pub. I knew first thing in the morning that I wasn't feeling good enough to (a) drink 3 pints of Fullers at lunchtime and get all exercized about Fulham and then (b) do church choir practice for 90 minutes that evening. As it turned out, I wasn't able to do either.

I woke up about 5 minutes after the match started and went to the computer to see we were a goal down. Once I remembered the best place to watch matches carried by Gol, and got a BRILLIANT UNINTERRUPTED LINK, it was 1-1. I sat bundled up and a little woozy all the way until Dempsey's goal, when I leapt up and hollered at the top of my lungs. It was the last physical activity I was able to manage until HatterMom came home. When I told her the score, she hollered, and when she guessed [first time] who scored the winner, we both danced around for a few seconds. Brilliant.

As for the match, I was stunned at how easily Zamora was rolling the Juve defenders. He bitch-slapped them all day, and we're not talking Zat Knight here. It occured to me that @ Juve they were covering him so tighly that when he tried to extricate himself, he wound up fouling. It looked as if when a ball came to him with his back to goal, he'd take a short step forward to make a little room and then turn -- to devastating effect.

About an hour after the match it occurred to me that I might have witnessed the last 80 minutes of perhaps the greatest 90 minutes in Fulham history. What an honor to be associated with the club. My last cell-phone email from FulhamAg says it all

And then, just to make things mega-brill, I discovered a few minutes ago that TWC now carries Fox Soccer Plus. Perhaps the Fulham-Man City match will feature?

Fantastic, fantastic

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

5. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Confession... No GolTv, but I could have followed the match online and I didnt because I had little hope.

Roy is the man... again.

Demps comes up with something special... again.

Z is at the center of the whole thing... again.

Amazing stuff - impressive and an inspiration. The soccer boys will hear about this for years to come.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Oh, and both Cappello and Bradley were in attendance.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I hope Zamora gets an England cap; not just because I think he's earned it, but also 'cause I dont want the US to have to face him in CONCACAF.

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I had a continuing education course yesterday and avoided all internet and TV until midnight. Who needs sleep when Fulham are kicking Juve's butt all over the pitch? I guess I do becasue I fell asleep at the half and got up early this morning to finish the second half.

Gera was brilliant, Zamora was superb and Dempsey's chip was priceless! Just becasue I have not seen anyone else comment on Etuhu's performance I will say he was exactly what Fulham needed in the middle of the pitch yesterday. He ate up space and closed down with some venom in his tackles.

Overall, the ball movement in the second half was quick, sharp and purposeful. The Mrs. and I were both spechless when Dempsey's chip shot went in but the second goal from Zamora to Davies to Gera was also a thing of beauty. Class club, class squad, class fans, class WIN!

9. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Did Clint's boots look purple/pink in the replay to anyone else. I'm hoping it's one of those stupid things Nike does where the color changes based on how the light hits it, but man, with boots like that, you'd better hit big time goals.

Also appeared to be sporting a nice shiner as well.

10. Clevelandmo

Yes, they looked lavender to me. I figured they were his Easter boots. I bet his daughter really likes them.

I'm hopin' they're a ploy to get his little girl to play dress up in his shoes.

11. sullytex

sullytex Member

Unfortunately not a shiner bock. I noticed that too after watching the vids. The boy had his song sung over and over as we marched out of the cottage last night. Proud day for this Texan! Could not have scripted it better.

12. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Thought Fabio Melo's reaction was interesting:
    “They should take a lesson from the Fulham fans. They were at a disadvantage, but they supported their team. They desperately wanted to come back and together they won."

http://goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2010/0 ... -fans-want

13. general125

general125 New Member

Due to circumstances beyond my control.....having to take the GMAT this morning, I didn't get to watch the game after work last night.

I just finished watching it, and I freaked the dogs out when my boy Clint scored the 4th goal in the 82nd minute.

I honestly gave Fulham no shot of winning even before Juve got that first goal. To come back and score 4 unanswered goals is AMAZING!!!!

Just to make sure I jinx us proper, I really think we can win this cup.

Oh, and isn't it amazing how the word "fulhamish" is rarely uttered since Roy became our manager?

14. Clevelandmo

Well since you brought it up there was also this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... abuse.html

15. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

The shoes are latest and greatest from Nike that were released back when Nike released those 10 World Cup uniforms from a couple weeks ago. They released them at the same event.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cm7dPnQPGv4/S ... NuShoe.JPG

Fulham's site had some pictures from training last week where you can tell he wore them to practice for the first time as everyone on the team is looking at them and laughing.

They also look like they have his daughter's name on them.

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

ain't life grand?

:banana:

17. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

WE ARE FULHAM!!!!!! Feels so good to shout it out! Thanks to all who made it possible......

18. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

Amazed by the victory. Between diaper changings and feedings of my infant son, I must've watched that Dempsey goal hundreds of times by now.

What gets me the most is not the goal itself, which is as beautiful and brilliant as the best that elite-level footballers have offered. It is the reaction of the fans. Our guys just couldn't believe it was going in. One guy had his hands clasped to his mouth as in prayer until the goal hit the back of the net. Most others just stood there silent and made certain not to utter another sound until the strike proved true.

For a club like ours, it is difficult to believe that what was done last night could take place outside our wildest dreams. It only happens for the likes of Liverpool and Manchester United. Not possible for Fulham. It can't be happening for us. Someone, anyone, pinch me. That ball can't be going into the back of the net. I must be in REM sleep!

For one moment, a humble, honest football club got to experience what it was like to shine higher than anyone else in the spotlight. I'm certain there were many in that crowd wishing their departed members of the Fulham Family could've been there to have seen it. I'm thrilled for those who have put in the time and went through the emotional rollercoaster with Fulham. You deserved this moment.

19. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Finally got to watch the actual game from start to finish. Two random observations:

1) I couldn't believe how much mugging took place inside the penalty area on any free kick Fulham took.

2) The announcer said it a couple times, but Fulham became 70-to-1 odds to win after surrendering that first goal.

Just amazing.

20. Clevelandmo

Not to be a contrarian, but isnt "Fulhamish", while often frustrating, also a source of pride? And isnt going down 0-1 at the Cottage and 1-4 on aggregate vs. Juventus only to come back and win 5-4 "Fulhamish"? I sense Woy is a man not quick to break from tradition so I'm thinking Fulhamish still applies, Woy has just perfected it.