Fulham v Burnley

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveM19, Feb 6, 2010.

1. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Nice 3-0 win. Boo-yah.

2. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

3 goals, 3 points. Very entertaining display of futbol by the Mighty Whites. Lots of nice passing, and some good finishing for a change. Obviously, Burnley made us look good by being a step slow for most of the match, but we had some really nice interplay in small spaces at times. Job well done.
    BTW Who is Zamora shshing after he scores????At Home!!!

3. LaxAttack

Martin

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

CarolinaFF, the announcers said the Burnley supporters were singing non-stop so perhaps Bobby Z was shushing them.

Only saw the last 35 minutes so I missed all the goals. I must say I like Riise everytime I get to see him play. Okaka looked very awkward several times. If he was an American coming from MLS, me thinks people would be trashing him. However, this is the first time I've had a good look.

Nice resutl today now let's get some FA Cup magic brewing!! Onward Roy Hodgson's black and white army.

5. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Zamora is shshing the collective we. We get it Bobby, many of us were a little harsh on earlier this season. Get over it.

Anyway, NICELY DONE WHITES! Good to see them pound an inferior team into submission, especially with all the injuries.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Nice win. I haven't seen Zamora's goal celebration, however, if he's again directing silence towards the Fulham supporters, today I officially grew tired of his act. Let it go, man, let it go.

When "Row Z" performances eventually return, he's not gonna like the reception he receives and created.

7. DCDave

DCDave Member

For me, the highlight of the game was the ball control near their net. It reminded me of a hockey power play the way they were passing the ball.

On the other hand, we were offsides (by quite a bit) on our first two goals. It seems that they better we've getting, the more breaks like that we've been getting.

8. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

For all you that think the Sunshines out of he's arse, here's a couple of quotes on the BBC:

"Cracking chance for Bobby Zamora at Fulham, but the big striker's shot towards to bottom corner from 15 yards brings a fabulous save from Brian Jensen." No surprise there from 15 yards out...

Fulham goal: "Not his best goal, but I'm sure Bobby Zamora will take it. Fulham have a free-kick 20 yards out and the big striker rolls it past a flailing Brian Jensen. The Clarets' useless away form continues apace."...sounds like this one was a CRACKER!!!

I'm obviously not alone who think he SUCKS that's why he has to Shhhhh the crowd, scoring one goal wont change mine or anyone else's opinion either, ZAMORA You SUCK!!!

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I have three words for you, M-in-N: Fox Soccer Channel. If you'd watched the match instead of just cherry-picking neutral comments and making them sound negative, you'd have seen that he had a good match -- a goal and an assist and some solid hold-up play.

10. Martin-in-Nashville

Maybe he did and maybe he didnt I dont really care, I dont have to watch him, he's not my kind of striker as you like to refer to him as, and like I said I'm obviously not alone.

When he can perform week in week out like you say he did tonight, and score Goals on a regular basis cos that's what Strikers do, then maybe I'll change my tune until then it remains the same.

11. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Yah, FFC! :)

12. LaxAttack

13. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Three points for the Whites!

14. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I called this.

Just saying.

15. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Good win, another cleansheet, and depite all the mangames we've lost, we're sitting 9th. And we've been the beneficiaries of bad calls 2 games running. Has that ever happened before?

I don't believe I've seen a team allow so much space in their own box as Burnley did. I thought at one point I saw some cattle grazing out there. Turns out it was Elm sprinting (an easy mistake, I'm sure you'll agree). Peter Crouch thinks Elm is slow and looks funny running. Burnley's defense away was just terrible. I kept wondering where the heck their players were on defense. Jensen was huge for them aside from that woeful flop on Zamora's FK.

Zamora and Elm looked like men among boys holding up the ball against Burnleys back four. I'd be curious to know how many offside calls Elm had, especially in the first half. Simon looked a bit rusty on a number of his choices of runs, but it's good to see him back. Etuhu was a red card waiting to happen. Everyone else looked good and Schwarzer looked sleepy.

Of the subs, Okaka continues to show sparks. I thought the announcers were being a bit rough on him. Riise was very impressive on offense. Greening was ho hum.

We needed a win like that and it was fun to watch. With that defending, Burnley will need a lot of help to stay up. Bring on the junior Magpies.

16. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Martin. It was a GREAT save from Jensen. On a typical day, we would have won that game 6-0. Listen to Roy's post-game interview - even he took time to praise Jensen's performance.

Bobby Z set up a goal and scored another...but he's not your type of striker!? He holds up the ball and brings the midfield into the attack, but he's not your type of striker!? He consistently draws fouls in dangerous positions (one of which led to his free kick goal yesterday), but he's not your type of striker!?

So, let me guess - Shefki Kuqi is YOUR type of striker?

Let's see:
    1. He doesn't set up teammates: CHECK
    2. He doesn't score: CHECK
    3. He doesn't hold up the ball: CHECK
    4. He doesn't draw fouls in dangerous positions: CHECK

So that's it then, Martin wants us to trade Bobby Z for Shefki Kuqi.

17. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Oh and for the statisticians.

Bobby Zamora: 7 goals, 6 assists in the premier league

Scoring: tied for 15th, and of those above him only Darren Bent plays for a team ranked lower than us.

Assists: tied for 11th.

Of those players who scored more than Bobby, only four had as many assists (Drogba, Lampard, Anelka, Fabregas). I will also add that Bobby doesn't take the penalty kicks. He's also missed 6 of our 26 games.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Actually, you echo'd me when I called it, but why quibble? :lol:

Breakdown:

Schwarzer -- could have played the game in a tuxedo for the first 85 minutes or so. He really only hit the dirt in earnest when the match was out of reach. Splendid positioning on long balls coming into his area, and decisive action. Despite the lack of action, I give him 8.5

Baird -- an absolute monster of a game. This RB performance eclipsed even his best match this season at defensive mid or at centre back. Just a good all-round performance. 9.5, and my vote for MoftheM

Hughes -- quietly effective, 7.5

Hangeland -- improving over recent weeks, good in defense, but every forward pass he made was to Burnley 7.0

Shorey -- my first glimpse of him in FFC kit. He was solid and assured in defense and in attack. There was a bit of confusion concerning who should be where with Simon, but that could have been the Welshman's fault. 8

Duff -- interesting match. He was a devil of a handful in and around the box, but I've never seen him so far off target in the killer pass/killer shot department -- 6.95

Murphy -- a little more Jeckyll, a little less Hyde. Beautifully taken goal, and a bit more assertive in midfield. I think he benefitted from Etuhu in the lineup. Still not the Cap'n Danny he was last season, but I give him a 7

Etuhu -- Solid in defense, good in linking, hell of a cannon on goal. I think he's still our best choice at defensive mid. Welcome back, little guy -- 7.5

Davies -- when he did that back header into their penalty area in the first 5 minutes, I [literally] stood up and clapped. He's nowhere near 100% and that showed in his hesitation in the penalty area, but I think it's safe to say that Simon is back. -- 7.5

Elm -- I still think he's a slightly slimmer version of Shefki Kuci, but he had a goal and an assist, and that ain't a bad haul for the third most talented striker in his family. A good solid shift, but he's not really the best man to run channels alongside Bobby -- 7

Zamora -- Dominated everybody they put on him, won just about every first ball. It took a good save by the Beast to stop him from getting on the sheet earlier, and he also got an assist and a goal. I tire of his goal celebration [as do his teammates who, when celebrating with him, tried to keep his finger away from his mouth]. He's clearly the best forward, goal scorer, and supplier we have. -- 9

Subs: The best shift in the Prem I've seen out of Riise by a long chalk. Jesus was busy, but I think trimming his hair and beard is cutting down on his mojo. He was only so-soOkaka? Well, I haven't checked the Brit sites yet to see if he is our new Eddie Johnson in the fan's eyes or if they're actually going to give him a chance. I thought his two "misses" were (a) a bit of astute goal keeping by Jensen on the first and (b) the ball being slightly behind him on the second. I like his pace and his ability to stay onside and attack quickly, but I liked that about Eddie as well. I'd like to see either Elm/Okaka or Zamora/Okaka against Notts County. We'll see.

As I predicted
    1. We won
    2. We won convincingly
    3. We kept a clean sheet.

19. Martin-in-Nashville

Now when I have I said anything about Kuqi, Zamora is not to my liking that's all I have ever said so stop drawing me into something I have never said, dont guess anything.

20. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I've seen more references to Shefki Kuqi in the last 5 posts than I thought I would for the rest of my life.

While I'm not overly offended by Bobby's ssshhuusshhing, he should be more concerned with the 90% fans who are and have been in his corner from day one. Basically, grow up and if you don't want to celebrate the goal with the fans who help pay for your salary than celebrate with your teammates. Maybe someone that was at the match last night can tell us if the Row Z chants are that prevalent or not.

Based on what I saw last night I don't see anyway possible Burnley stays up, that looked like a drill on a practice pitch at times. 7 points in 3 matches is just what the doctored ordered.