Fulham v. Arsenal

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Team_of_McBrides, Aug 18, 2008.

1. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I just about had a heart attack! Especially since it was right around the 80' mark.

BTW ChicagoFan, you're not in europe are you? Landycakes aren't available across the pond.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

anyone else notice that he was an upgrade over Kallio? I wouldn't like him at LB against Wollcott, but Arsene took care of that. :D

Every ball Baird touched was either a gained possession or a good pass. I hope that'll give the boo-birds at CC a little pause next time they want to boo him, and I'm hoping we'll give him a break here as well.

3. SamStej

SamStej New Member

Nice job by the whites today, definitely a great result. I thought that the defense played really well today, I thought that Pantsil/Brede did a great job and I liked what I saw out of Kallio. Murphy did a great job as well, controlling the center of the park and really distributing the ball well. And Zamora, for sure a McBride like performance (at least as far as winning balls is concerned).

4. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Murphy playing that defensive mid role like a man possessed was awesome to see, and the back 4 showed a lot of heart and hustle. As JG said, "How sweet it is!!!!!!!!!!!!"

5. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Well said Don.

6. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

Pantsil was great ... as was Hangeland. Zamora played well in the air, despite being slow-ish on the ground.
    Murphy played really well until about the 70th minute when he just ran out of gas.
    Even if it was a hobbled Arsenal side, the play and style from Fulham we saw today looked a lot more like the Fulham team from the end of last campaign. Lots of movement and crisp passing.
    They created a few good opportunities that they didn't capitalize on, but I won't dare complain about anything too much, considering the fantastic result.

Like I said earlier in the post ... hopefully the win today will mean that the loss to Hull was the oddity and that we've got the quality to avoid the relegation battle all together.

On a related note ... did Arsenal look class-less on more then a few occassions today? Twice they played on while there was a White down and then when they gave the ball back, after one of our boys put the ball out to stop play for an injured Arsenal player, they pin it in the corner and play full-on defense? It would be nice to think that Fulham got rewarded for being the better sportsmen today.

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Don, you have got to be kidding. Kallio had a very good game, sure he was helped by the fact that Arsenal's midfield was handled by ours all game (wow, did I really get to type that?), but the only upgrade he represented was that Arsenal was kind enough to go down the other side of the field when ol' Baird came on. How kind of them.

Nonetheless, he did what little he had to do well, so I'll give him a break. Or try at least. Or at least quit hoping that he gets wrapped up in duct tape and left on the locker room floor during the game.

8. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

Yeah ... I wouldn't go that far. He played decently and did his job, but I have to admit that my heart did skip a beat when they announced him coming on. I have enough faith in Roy that if Baird was coming on that RH had a good reason for making that call, but I was definitely still nervous.
    I thought Kallio did well enough ... he did what was needed of him by clearing the ball out of bounds when he was overwhelmed and listening to Schwarzer on the wall.
    I'm not down on Baird's performance at all, but I don't think I'd be in favor of him starting next game.

On a related note ... hats off to the wall this game. They stayed strong and stod their ground and managed to fizzle out a few free kicks from dangerous locations.

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I know it has only been two games and things could go pear shaped but I really like Pantsil. He gives us speed in the back that we sorely lacked last season and is pretty strong in the air too.

The midfield play today was outstanding. Murphy was MOM for me alongside Hangeland. Danny must have eaten his Wheaties this morning. I lost track of the number of tackles he made that led to offensive breakouts today.

As well as Seol played for the first 60 minutes today I am looking forward to the addition of Andy Johnson up top. We seem to be missing something in the final third and I think AJ's speed will really open the field up.

Great play by the Whites today!

10. articbob

articbob Member

wow...
    What makes this game more amazing was the fact that I was watching the game with a group of Arsenal fans and my 06/70 home jersey arrived in the mail right after the game. Today was a good day and props go out to the defense. Hangeland earned respect from me after his performance today. As well as all of the defense. They shut down the pass like they were suppose to and the goalkeeper was hardly challenged. It's a while before the next game against Bolton, but Hodsgon should be pleased with this result. Hopefully AJ should play in the next game.

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

12. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Quintessentially Fulhamish. I don't think any more needs to be said! :D

13. ToviFromSantaBarbara

ToviFromSantaBarbara New Member

the loss to Hull meant that we had to steal one against a team we're supposed to lose to. DONE. We're right back to where we should be, and I think the lads do nothing but build on this. SOOO much more understanding in the midfield this week, I'm just happy to see them gelling well, hopefully it continues.

14. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Clearly! We won with Seol starting up front and ending with Chris Baird on the wrong side in the back! We went up to Arsenal and took it from them - when they weren't giving it right to us!

This game was a 1000x better in a bar full of Arsenal fans. ROBIN VAN PERSIE! indeed.

Great win!

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I thought Seol was at his best tackling back. There were two occasions in the first half where his lack of pace cost us a shot on goal. Similarly, the breakaway we had late in the 2nd half came to nothing because of Clint's lack of pace. Can't blame a guy for not being fast enough, but I think that AJ gets at least two solid shots on goal out of those three situations. Glad we've got a weekend off for him to get better.

I agree about Zamora, but twice he was the most forward player and nodded the ball to nobody, and twice he had the opportunity to turn and shoot and passed out. Not to be nitpicky, but I'd love to see him take a crack next match.

I think we showed ourselves well against the Arsenal today. Even when they were attacking pretty much most of the last 20 minutes, I thought we had them well under control. The only time I really got nervous was when Andanik gave up the ball in the center circle with nobody behind him. He might not see the pitch in the EPL for a while.

Sorry I missed the chatroom; I'll bet it was hopping. Oh, and BRING ON THE FOXES!

16. martin

martin New Member

I am very happy with the result. Zamora looked much better and the midfield played very well. And I agree with all the positive comments about Paintsil and Schwarzer. Those two were solid.

But there is room for improvement. Arsenal had some good opportunities and found a lot of space around the box several times. We were fortunate that RVP did not get any of those free kicks on goal. We need to be smarter in front of the goal or it will cost us.

So, we are about where I expected us to be after our first two matches. I just expected the results to be reversed!

17. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Thank the Good Lord. Yessss, a vast improvement over the Hull City match. The midfield was organized and often times outplayed the Arsenal midfield, the backline was organized and Kallio proved that he can handle the quality of the prem.

Fulham deserved the result and I will be on a high for the next week. Can't wait to talk to Gooners supporters and discuss how 'little' Fulham toppled Arsenal.

COYW's.

18. DennyUSA

DennyUSA New Member

I had to miss the game due to work - but Great we won!

But, some things concern me:
    shots on goalFulham: 6
    Arsenal: 20

FOULS
    Fulham: 16
    Arsenal: 6

OFFSIDES
    Fulham: 8
    Arsenal: 2

Arsenal had the ball 57% to our 43.

Like I said - Win is a Win. But to continue to win, we must improve on these areas.

-D

19. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

That was great! I just finished watching the match. I have to work Saturdays, the railroad runs 27/7, so I set the DVR. I, like everyone else I'm sure, got nervous in the last 10 min. It seemed like Arsenal has watched the tapes and seen what has happened as they seemed to pour on the pressure. I was a bit surprised at 4 min being added, I figured 2, 3 at most after what was added the first half. They seemed to have Arsenal's number today, almost like they were surprised at how Fulham came out and never recovered from it.

Oh to be in SW6 today!

20. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Hangman, Hangman, hold it a little while,
    Think I see my friends coming, Riding a many mile.
    Friends, did you get some silver?
    Did you get a little gold?
    What did you bring me, my dear friends, To keep me from the Gallows Pole?
    What did you bring me to keep me from the Gallows Pole?

Hangman: A WIN!!!