Fulham Transfer Rumours Summer 2005

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, May 18, 2005.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

RE: transfers

I am not surprised one bit by this move. It was on the cards since January...

1) He's 34
    2) He only signed a one year extension to begin with
    3) Man U wanted him in January
    4) Edwin did us a favor by signing a new contract extension so we can get a fee
    5) We released huge wages
    6) If we received 3 mill + for him then its good business (I think the Guardian is full of shit)

Although I am also gutted to see him go, we can look at this in a positive way. You never know what is going to happen and I have faith in Cookie.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: transfers

As was the case in January, Fulham is being linked with Charlton striker Jason Euell. He is 28 years old and is a Jamaican International. Fulham would pay in the area of 2 million for him. He can play up front or out wide. He has not really lived up to his potential the last couple of seasons for Charlton since joining the Addicks from Wimbledon for a whopping 4.75 million pounds. Perhaps a move to Fulham will resurrect his career some. We need depth at that position so maybe this is not such a bad idea.

3. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Re: RE: transfers

Couldn't agree more - we should just be happy to be able to say that we saw EDVS in a Fulham shirt. The day we signed him was a high point in my Fulham supporting life and its been a real pleasure watching him ever since. He handled himself very professionally and managed to get the move he wanted, while ensuring Fulham got some financial return. If only all players were this classy.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Re: RE: transfers

Fulham have officially signed Australian International Ahmad Elrich. He is thought of highly and has the potential to be a very good player for us. We paid his former club, Busan I'Park, a Korean club, very little money for him. Perhaps in the area on 500,000. This is a good move for Fulham.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Fulham is also being linked with Charlton left back Paul Konchesky. It has been written that Fulham would pay in the area of 2 million pounds for his services. Considering the fact that he is only 24, has been in the Premiership for a few seasons and that he is a natural left back, I think this is a good move for us.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Sounds like CC definitely has a plan, and not to go 4-5-1.

Now if he can get the training and conditioning up to par, and hang onto Boa, it will be very entertaining on the pitch.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

8. pettyfog

TG Bayer Leverkusen!!

Let Landon out and look how happy it made him... could Fulham be so lucky!?

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

There is an online petition on the T-F-I message board for Boa to stay at Fulham. One of the T-F-I'ers works with Boa's sister and whatever is written in the petition will be given to his sister who in turn will give it to Luis.

If you would like to put your two cents worth in for Luis to stay please visit the T-F-I site in the link below and we can all try to keep Luis from leaving:

http://www.voy.com/13865/

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Not sure on the validity of the rumour swirling about Louis Saha returning to Fulham, but in the event he were to come back, would you welcome him back?

11. americanmike

I think, depending of the terms of course, I would welcome the boy back.

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: transfers

I am with you on this one Mike. While Saha's departure in January 0f 2004 was a painful one for Fulham supporters, if he can come back and give us passion and energy up front and can put the ball in the back of the net for us, I think all will not neccesarily be forgotten, but he can be forgiven.

All that being said, in my humble opinion, I do not think Saha will be coming back. I think someone in the press is trying make a story out of nothing. I will be surprised to see him back.

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: transfers

One rumour, one fact:

Rumour: Middlesbrough will make a 3 million pound bid for Zat Knight

Fact: Marseille has saids they will not bring Steve Marlet back on loan. He will return to Fulham. I am not sure what Cookie has in store for Marlet or if he has Marlet in his plans for this season, but it will be interesting to see how this shakes down.

It has been an eventful summer for Fulham supporters. Something new everyday!

14. kdturtle

kdturtle New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: transfers

I agree. Let's hope we can keep this up. Good to see the signing of the new goalie. Does anyone know what happened with the rumored signing of Robert Green? Is it moot now?

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: transfers

In all honesty, I do not think there was ever much validity to this. I think it was just simply a rumour. Robert Green is on a team that was relegated and all the pundits expect him to be signed by a Premiership side. With Fulham losing Van Der Sar, I think many just put 2 and 2 together and figured that was the logical destination for Green. However, that was not the case at all. Drobny has been in Fulham's plans since last January when he signed a pre-contract agreement to come to the Cottage. I have no idea where Green will end up. I am quite certain it will not be with Fulham though.

16. pettyfog

Well, I guess it's time for opiniated pseudo-intellectual twerps to make some entry point predilections known:

Caution, these are all based on the higher view.. not being (or caring to be) expert on individual capabilites or talent, rather on what makes sense and what doesnt. Naturally that means they are likely off the mark, but that doesnt make them wrong.

1. The Green rumor... Never made sense, if all is true about Drobny being lined up in January. If Cookie put Crossley on the market, then there might be something to it. let's not forget Baptista in the wings.. so we have Drobny coming in as the definite #1 {remember he is currently backing up Peter Cech} with Crossley and Baptista fighting for the backup position.

2. Saha back.... there are more reasons to not get him back than for it.

A. 12 Million odd was a pure gift for the Fuham chest... a loan deal would be okay but buy him back? Not for more than 3 million, BECAUSE:

B. Saha was bought by ManU on his PEAK... he was in the groove! All I read indicates that he was QUITE competent, though not outstanding, before he achieved that spectacular "Zone".

C. And being in the Zone requires such a complicated and elusive set of circumstances and self-confidence that he may never see that combination again.

- What will CC do with the other striker/forwards? He finally got them fine-tuned in what was either 4-4-2 or sometimes 4-3-2-1.

- How would Saha react to other than being up top in 4-5-1? Would he play well and willingly in a setback position which would suit his talent, but not make him the target?
    The other options are: 4-3-2-1; McB on left in the 2, John on the right with Saha up front. But then, that's going to require a bit of practice to get that tuned up, isnt it!
    I speak, of course, of the problems of doing that with Steed and Boa on the starting/selection list.
    Picture:
    Back four*
    Diop, Steed, Boa
    John, McBride
    Saha

Looks kinda like a dream team lineup.. but consider that it makes LB even more vulnerable. Who's gonna cover for the LB? If I started that, I would put Diop center and Steed right and school Papa for LB cover.
    BUT...Dont we see the subbing problems, then? And see #3, below.

No... I think we're dealing with a lot of headaches before we even consider the effect in the clubhouse -which I dont think would be all that bad - but I am not there.

3. Andy Cole - Wonder how close he is with McBride? He might ask Brian for advice (imagine that!) on how to handle being under-utilized and deployed in a scheme which doesnt fit your talents... being, of course "Pure Striker", in his case - not Brian's.
    - I expect him to go to a club who needs him more than Fulham does.

4. Boa and Steed: It would be nice to be able to keep them both. Despite all the flurries of 'swoop' expectations, I think one of them will stay... most likely Steed; resolved differences tighten bonds, and now Steed has more reason to stay than just his mrs' wishes.
    -Boa KNOWS he is Streaky, likes the comfy adulation at Fulham; if he goes it will be because he has set new personal goals and wants to test his limits. Unlike, perhaps, Saha... he KNOWS he will not just step in and star.

5. Left Back: ah, yes... What most of the punters on the kiddie board dont seem to acknowledge is the perennial shortage of really GOOD left footed defenders. Why are so many of them converted left-side wingers?
    Never mind, that being stuck there stunted Boca's development and may ruin Liam... CC has done the right thing, long-term.
    If he finds a great one for LB, the bigger teams will swoop in, anyway.
    {note to Cookie: hands off Crew's Marshall, and dont even think about Hejduk.. he's too old, never mind he's always on US team}

6. Center Mid: Who will be "mother"? Is Elrich the one? One supposes so... it's sorely needed. Sean Davis coming back, duly contrite and willing to serve penance of re-qualifying is the only true alternative.

All-in all, I think the coming season looks good for Fulham, at this point and with what we know is going on.

Things for CC to focus on:

Fitness, Formation training, rehab programs.

On the latter, I am judging more from what I didnt read than what was in evidence, but the Bonnisel case shows me that injury rehab at Fulham has been "old-school". If he had been sent, even at his paying a good part of his own expenses to a top-flight sports med outfit, he might have made it back onto the pitch.
    There is VERY little in the way of injury, now, that cannot be overcome. But neglecting to address such immediately allows both physical and mental scarring to take hold. I dont know that Jerome might have been 100% but indications are that it was never tried.

17. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Humility and loyalty are nice qualities to have, in general and on a team. Saha does not seem have those qualities but he is an incredibly talented striker and exciting player to watch. If we can get him back without breaking the bank, and he is reasonably healthy, it would be an excellent move. We would see a more early goals next year, enabling the team to lay back on defense and protect Drobny.

18. americanmike

Simply put, I do not see Saha returning to Fulham!!! He would be eating a big chunk of humble pie and his ego would stop him from doing that.

19. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

If Saha comes back that will piss me off even more

I buy the damn Saha jersey...he gets sold...

Saha comes back...I can wear it again...except that i threw it in the trash

20. pettyfog

We'll take two dozen handtowels and a carton of snak-size crisps!