Fulham Transfer Rumours Summer 2005

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, May 18, 2005.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Fulham has entered the race to sign Charlton left-back Paul Konchesky. Everton are also said to be after Konchasky as well. There were very little details on this other than Fulham is interested. More info to come as it is made available.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

For a long-shot trainee, Left side journeyman... look to Daniel Karbassiyoon on a free from Arsenal

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Petty,
    What do you know about this guy? His contract is up? Where is he from in America?

4. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Fulham have released 4 starters from their reserve team so they might be looking at some players in the Lower leagues In England,France,Spain etc.Sebastien Grax was linked with a move to Fulham. He has 15 or so goals for Troyes of Ligue 2 in France.Charlie Davies from Luton was one of the best defenders in League 1 this season. Hes only 19 and was on the team of the year.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

This is the first time I recall hearing about him, ran across the tidbit that Arse had released him, earlier... then couldnt find it again. So all I have is the Arsenal link.

Know that he has caps in US U-17, 19. That he played for Roanoke in Div III (D3). As I say a long shot but Arse must have seen something in him. Was there for more than a season.
    - - - - - -- - - - - - - -
    Saha back?!!!

Again, it seems there is no limit to the lack of vision of some fans, who breathlessly ponder the possiblity of recalling the guy.

If Fulham could get him fully healthy and ready for full-bore training, for say, 1.5 mill.. then I would be in favor. Then I would play him to showcase for the first half of the season and wait for the next victim to bid.

Note that I am NOT undercutting his past performances, nor am I saying that he wouldnt ordinarily be a good addition. I AM pointing out that in every profession and circumstance, there are those who hit a hot streak, through a confluence of luck, confidence, team support, alignment of stars.. etc which gives them a touch of magic.

When any one of those factors fades, the magic act is over, and you are back to just being a good player. I believe that Saha -unlike Rooney who I was wrong about- is onna THOSE. And I dont believe I'm wrong this time.

And besides... then we'd see the team back to the dreaded 4-5-1 and CC waiting for the curtain to go up.

6. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Saha back? Not sure how I would feel about this, given the way he left. Having said that, if he could stay fit and score goals I'd welcome him back with open arms...not that I am fickle or anything. Would ManU let him go for anythign less than $5million after just 2 seasons? Also, how does everyone feel about Kezman? Is he worth a bid?

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

If you remember, Kezman was targeted for a club like Fulham, Birmingham City and Charlton before Chelsea came in with the big money and got him. I think Kezman could be decent in the Premiership given the right chance. However, I am sure Chelsea is gonna ask for a lot of money for him which we do not have.

As for Saha, no way Manchester United would sell him for 1.5 million. They would not sell him for less than 6 or 7 million. They bought him for 12.5 million pounds from us, so to sell him back at 20% of that price would just make no sense in terms of business for Manchester United. Yes, he has had injuriy problems, but he has a strong upside and has proven he can score goals in this league.

8. martin

martin New Member

I'm really curious to see what kind of moves Chelsea makes. They spent so much money on some of their players that there is no way they can get anything close in return if they sell them. Will they hang onto players they don't really want anymore because they can't find a dupe to pay their price, or will they just take what they can get and blow off the loss? Scott Parker is likely on his way out and both Kezman and Drogba have expressed some unhappiness. But who could afford them?

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am thinking the latter here. Chelsea cannot expect any club to pay the prices they paid for players that are not worth that kind of money.

Chelsea is really damaging the transfer market if you ask me. Because of the astronomical prices Chelsea has paid to players like Drogba, Carvalho, Tiago, Parker, Geremi, Kezman, etc, for their transfers, the Blues have in essence taken every other club out of the picture so there is no competition for Chelsea in the transfer market. I am not just talking about English Clubs, but all clubs cannot compete with the money of Abramovich.

In the event any club has a young star like the kid at Parma, the club is gonna jack his value up because they know Chelsea's budget has no ceiling. It will be nice for Parma to get all that money, but Chelsea is gonna keep buying and buying and buying until they have everything they want. These smaller clubs are putting prices on players they know only Chelsea can pay for.

For every other club this is a business where profits matter and budgets are needed. At Chelsea, that is not true. Money means nothing to them. I am hoping at some point this summer or in the near future, Fulham can capitalize on some of the Chelsea cast-offs. These are quality players that clubs might be able to get at cut-rate prices compared to what Chelsea paid for them. They will still be expensive in terms of Fulham's budget, but you never know.

All in all, I think Fulham needs to beef up their scouting department and go out and look for some fresh, young talent for the team.

10. martin

martin New Member

The Boa rumors are heating up, with his new home being either Newcastle or Liverpool. The stories I read implied that the transfer fee may be too good for Cookie to pass up.

11. martin

martin New Member

Mourinho said today (http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/050526/4/b49g.html) that clubs will have to pay up if they want to buy or borrow his players. Sounds like he wants to keep his side pretty much intact. Maybe they will show a little financial restraint this time around.

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I do not think this phrase is in the Chelsea vocabulary.

13. martin

martin New Member

You're probably right. It's all hot air at this point anyway. At this time of year everyone is just posturing in order to get the upper hand in negotiations.

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

It looks as though Charlton have signed Darren Bent from Ipswich for 2.5 million pounds. He had 21 goals in the Championship this season. He is an under-21 international. He has a lot of potential. However, I think we have a good under-21 player in Collins John. I just hope he gets a lot of chances to be on the pitch next season. We need to find out if he can cut it and play consistently at the highest level.

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am not sure the validity of this rumour I read on the Fulham Official Messageboard, but someone mentioned we were on the verge of signing NOrwich City midfielder Damien Francis. He scored seven goals this season and I thought he was one of Norwich's best players all season long. I think this would be a great signing for us. He is a box-to-box midfielder and has an ability to find the back of the net. He plays in the middle of the park and could take the place of Lee Clark and put the likes of Pembridge on the bench. Once again, I am not sure if there is any truth in this, but either way, it excites me.

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, we have lost Van Der Sar to Manchester United. He is set to sign a two-year deal with United when he returns from International Duty with Holland. The fee Fulham and United agreed upon has not been released, but I hope we got a hgood chunk of change for him.

Looks like Jaroslav Drobny, whom Fulham signed in January, will be the main man next season between the posts. He played for Panionos this past season and I hope he is ready for the Premiership. Edwin is gonna be tough to replace.

17. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

transfers

Here we go again, CC says we cannot afford to sell anyone, the front page of the Fulham UK web site as a caption saying pick up end of season bargains, and oops we lose the guy who kept us up. I do not feel any anger towards Edwin, he played as good as he could for Fulham as a true professional should, and at his time in life he deserves a shot playing for a team that every season tries to go places and 9 times out of ten does, but what does it say for us Fulham fans, CC referred to it, we are once again going to have a season of fighting off relegation, when the other so called superstars see that upper management are open to selling their top players they will jump on the band wagon, i would love to see what CC as to say about this and how he can possible face the fans once again having not an egg on his face but a whole omelette, but of course we dont know because us Fulham fans have to read about it on the sporting life sky sports or BBC web sites, i bet its even on the Man U web site, but Fulhams web site does not even give us fans the respect to read it on our teams own web site first. I have followed this team now for nearly 50 years, they are in my blood, but this is just another example how this modern day version called fulham have no regard for their fans or any ambition to become the Man U of the South, we can all look forward to another so so season, a very upset and irate fulham fan, but good luck to Edwin.

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: transfers

Now we are being linked to Robert Green from Norwich City. He is a good, young keeper. I am not sure what Norwich's asking price is or if he is being courted by other teams as well. I guess we will have to stay tuned to find out more. Here is a link from SkySports.com:

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/lis ... remiership

19. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

According to the Guardian, we got 1.5 million pounds for Edwin Van Der Sar. Is it me or does that seem like a small fee?

20. martin

martin New Member

Seems low to me. I thought I read somewhere that is was 2-3 million?