Fulham to play preseason in Jax 2014

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by boa3532, Jul 19, 2013.

1. LogicalmanUS

LogicalmanUS Member

Anything further on this Chaps & Chapesses?

2. tim

tim Active Member

http://www.jaguars.com/unveilevent/

Sorry, but this is BS. Hardly worth my money/time to travel to Jax for this. Hopefully the club will take the opportunity to book another friendly elsewhere in the States.

3. Andersons11

Andersons11 Member

I guess FulhaminFlorida has some connections with the powers that be and is going to talk to them about an allocation of seats for the Fulham support.

4. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it make more sense to unveil the video boards prior to the soccer match???

Though I guess a lot of people would rather see slow motion close-ups of Carrie Underwood than Mitroglou's finely coiffed beard.

5. LogicalmanUS

LogicalmanUS Member

I am so disappointed in the clubs reaction and marketing of this. I have written to them asking for clarification.

If what appears to be happening is actually happening, then I, for one, will lose faith in Khan. This was supposed to be Fulham playing in Jacksonville, now its some jumbatron unveiling with Carrie Underwood singing, and the footie match has been reduced to an appetizer, and to cap it all, tickets will go first to Jags fans (not Fulham or DCU, and the rest will split between those fans of the club and fans of CU.

If this goes ahead in that manner, Khan will simply provide more cannon fodder for those in the UK that believe American owners of Prem clubs are watering down what the game is all about.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yes, it's been rather disappointing so far. There was a story in one of the Florida papers that Fulham will be making this a regular stop in the summer preseason tour. If so, I may be waiting next year to see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

And they will be wholly justified in believing and saying exactly that. Because they will be correct.

8. jumpkutz

The saddest part of this to me is this...Mr. Khan should be concentrating on investing only in, and doing whatever it takes, to get Fulham back in the Premier League. If that means cancelling this match, then he should do it. If it means going ahead with it, then IT should be the focal point of the total event, NOT a gimmicky, promotion and marketing driven afterthought. I agree, if that what it ends up being, then my faith in this owner's stewardship of our beloved club will plummet accordingly.

But I will not abandon them.

COME ON YOU WHITES!

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Haven't been paying attention to this since I wasn't planning on going, but FREE to Jags season ticket holders?? Um...that sounds like a logistical nightmare, but worse that leaves minimal seating with decent views for people who want to see the match, unless of course seating in the nosebleed seats is what your looking for. :angry-banghead:

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There's a lady on FUSA's Facebook page who says that FFC club members who live in the states are going to be frozen out because of this "free to Jags season ticket holders" thing.

11. Andersons11

Andersons11 Member

Frozen out of a Fulham match because Im not a Jags member instead a Fulham one.

All excitement for this match has evaporated and been replaced with pessimum.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I don't see anybody saying such a thing in the FUSA group. Can you find it again? I found the relevant thread in the FUSA group, but don't see anybody mentioning that Fulham supporters will be frozen out. There are 76k seats in the Jags stadium, I kinda doubt it will be sold out. Fulham fans may, however, be relegated to some not so cool seats though.

13. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I have to wonder how many season ticket holders the Jags have? So even after the season ticket holder allotment will there still be enough to go around? Are they still selling out the games etc? is Kahn doing it this way to get his Jag fan base excited for soccer? Seems crazy he would shut out any FFC fans but crazier things have happened.

14. jumpkutz

As a certain sci-fi character with pointy ears would say, "That would be highly illogical."

15. LogicalmanUS

LogicalmanUS Member

Here's the Jags365 announcement ... nice to know we are considered billing somewhere south of Carrie underwood and a large Jumbotron, isn't it.

http://www.jaguars.com/unveilevent/

Just take the opening paragraph ...

Jaguars unveil world’s largest video boards July 26 with country music’s biggest superstar, Carrie Underwood coming to EverBank Field; tickets free for Jaguars season ticket members

I have written to the club, and in their response they say we are 'invited guests', but will do what they can to assist Fulham Fans in getting tickets. I appreciate that the staff at the club will do their best, as they must be as pissed as the faithful are, but the buck stops with Khan, he owns both teams, and has let others, with agendas not interested in Footie or Fulham, take the lead in this. I have lost trust in Khan, whatever I had to begin with, unless he turns this around and starts taking notice of the fans that have followed this club.

He might own the club, but he is failing to own the spirit or heart of it.

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The Jags have never sold out games in their history, hence the reason they tarp off huge sections of there upper bowl. However, while plenty of seats will be available, there just wont be that many in great locations. So if season ticket holders decide not to go, the seat will go unused?

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

As Pettyfog said in the Facebook group...Pre-season friendlies don't always pan out very well in terms of ticket sales on their own. Look, I don't see many on here really making their way to Jacksonville Florida. One, they live too far away and the expense of travel and lodging will be too much. And, second, it's just a pre-season friendly against a rather poor, non-local MLS team ( it's my MLS team here in DC). Heck, I have seen no information on DC United's site regarding the match. There are not going to be a massive amount of soccer fans attending this, because there really is no reason to travel all that way to see one pre-season friendly. The MLS 2005 all-star match was different, you had a rather top-billing match at a soccer specific stadium where one of the Fulham players used to ply his trade. It was a rather central location in Ohio, so pretty easy to get to. If this were just a Fulham v DC United in Jax, there might be 4k that show up? With this concert set-up, they just might make some money on the event. Sorry, to burst any Fulham bubbles here...but we're not a top-drawing "soccer" team in the States like a Man U or Barca.

18. tim

tim Active Member

I have to agree with Heather on this. Let's be realistic...we're talking about a second tier English side going up against a mid-level, out-of-town MLS team in a city without a big soccer presence to begin with. If this were billed and sold on its own, they'd be lucky to draw 10k. They're doing what's needed to fill the seats. Can't blame them.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I have the lady's name, Senator, and I was wrong to say she posted this on FUSA. She commented at length on a thread on FB and had a post of her own where she complained. I won't give her name in this public forum, but you might see her comments on that Twitter thing with the hash tag of ForgottenFulhamFaithful.

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I know who you're talking about. Her latest tweet says there are encouraging signs that they won't be the ForgottenFulhamFaithful much longer. Not sure what that means, but I guess there is something brewing for Fulham supporter groups.

Here's an interesting article that was posted in the Fulham Florida group:

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory ... _id=542949

I haven't received any contact from the club through the website as of yet. But I assume the 4 supporter groups are FulhamUSA, FulhamFlorida, FulhamNYC, and FulhamTexas. July 26th is coming up soon, so if they want to reach out to the groups they should have done it already.