FULHAM @t Tottenham [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Sep 12, 2006.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Looks like Aaron Lennon might be able to play after all. SkySports.com is reporting that Lennon faces a late fitness test on Thursday before Spurs UEFA Cup match against Slavia Prague. If he can play for that match he would surely be able to play against us on Sunday. We will see.

As for other injuries on our part, this is all speculation on my part, but I am guessing Papa, Simon Elliott and perhaps Claus Jensen will be out of this match. We are going to be really thin in midfield.

2. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Well, here's one guy who's pretty optimistic about the match: http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5965898

It's refreshing to hear the words, but I'm still a bit cautious about our chances of getting a good result out of this match.

3. Jux

Jux New Member

I agree, but I'm glad the team has decided to be confident in spite of losing Jimmy. I hope that none of them are hanging their heads just yet.

4. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Didn't he start out at CAM spot? I know he is comfortable on the left, but I think he also plays in the middle as well. We are too thin in midfield and I pointed this out back in the transfer window. We should of brought in a Sidwell or even a Lee Hendrie from Villa. While when healthy we have a talented group, but there are players in this midfield who are always injured and now Bullard is gone for the season. We probably won't get a damn thing out of the next games, but I am extremely optimistic that after the next 8 games after these 2 we will be in the top 6.

5. DCDave

DCDave Member

I am cautiously optomistic, but the history of Fulham the last few years is to follow a good performance like last Saturday's with a stinker. I'll be happy with 1-1 and will dance off the walls with a 2-1 win.

6. BC

BC New Member

Well, we beat Newcastle without Bullard for most of the match so I'm not terribly concerned. However, he certainly will be missed and the team is better off with him than without him. Spurs will be a good test for us. If we can play level with them and get a draw or a win, I think we'll have a real shot at the top ten this season.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Spurs are itching to get their domestic campaign off and running. They have won one and lost three so far. Not a good return based on the expectations of this team. After being Slavia Prague today in the UEFA Cup 1-0 perhaps they will be looking to get things on track in the league and take it out on Fulham.

The good thing is that teams playing mid-week matches in European competition usually have a hard time the following weekend in league games. I do not have specific stats on this, but more upsets occur the match after a UEFA Cup or Champions League match than at most any other point in the season from what I can remember. Often times perceived weaker teams like Fulham are overlooked by the opposition and also fatigue is a factor for a team like Spurs.

Despite the above statement, I will be shocked if we get anything out of this match. Newcastle is not Tottenham. Spurs have a good team up front, in the middle of the park and in the back. I am hoping for a return of a point, but I expect 0 points out the next two matches.

October will be our key month with matches against Watford, Charlton, Wigan and Aston Villa.

8. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Someone mentioned this to me yesterday Tom and I really hope it comes true because we could use the points NOW instead of later.

I think it will depend, once again, on how our midfield performs. No injury news on the site yet so no confirmation is Bouba can play or not. Also, haven't heard if Routledge can play but I doubt it and lastly Aaron Lennon is definitely out for Spurs, he is due to have knee surgery on Sunday.

We are bringing some good support to White Hart Lane, they boys will need it.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'll be on the road between Austin and San Antonio while most of the match is going on, so I'll miss the chat room.

Mike, I remember having a good time at White Hart Lane when I went [before most of you were born], and I hope you guys do as well. I loved the video of you crazies after the Yanks took over in Toon Town. Hope you get a chance to do that again.

COYW!!!

10. americanmike

***UPDATE***

Just saw on sky sports that Routledge can not play against Spurs so he's out. They also mentioned that Claus Jensen is due to take a late fitness test to see if he will be fit enough.

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Tottenham 1 - 2 Fulham

Come On You Super Whites!!!

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

As Mike mentioned, Aaron Lennon is out. Additionally, striker Dimitar Berbatov, Spurs big summer signing, is out with a groin injury as well.

13. martin

martin New Member

I think we can pull this off. Nobody expects us to get anything from the match, so there is no pressure. And I like the fact that Boa is sounding confident, since he is an emotional guy and his play tends to reflect his attitude. If he picks it up this week, we have a chance. I think he is the key. Earn that armband, Boa!

14. americanmike

15. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Tottenham has been struggling and I'm not really optimistic about their chances. Yet I think are lineup omissions and the fact that this isn't at the cottage will hurt. It could go one-nil either way but my prediction is:

0-0

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

The line-up should be nothing short of inventive:

"I think we are going to have to play a few square pegs in round holes on Sunday and I don’t know whether we will have to change our game plan as a consequence.......

We do have people we can call upon; Boa, Claus, Michael Brown, Radzinski can play on the right but what we need is someone in there with a bit of metal. I have two or three ideas of formations in my head, and we might even have to stick a defender in the midfield." - CC

Queudrue or Liam in midfield, begs the question. (I'm guessing Liam, but either could be exciting to watch).

17. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I would love to see Liam in the midfield on the right side. I think he would do a nice job and I think with his defensive midnset he will track back well to defend. I would be really surprised to see Coleman go this way, but from what he said in his interview, it sounds like he has something like this up his sleeve. Would be nice to see both Liam and Volzy on the pitch at the same time.

18. jreid19

jreid19 Member

Buffalo, Home of the Wing and City of Raw Deals
    Anybody know if there is any free audio for the match tomorrow?

19. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

It's a good sign Fulham is going into this game with confidence. It'll be interesting to see how Fulham addresses their midfield; but it's not as if the other team doesn't have the same problem. No Lennon there and no Berbatov up front, IIRC. Now is the time to see how deep Fulham is and dig deep to pull out a win.

1-0 Fulham, COYW!

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Starting Line-up for today's match:

Niemi
    Rosenior
    Pearce
    Knight
    Queudrue
    Volz
    Brown
    Bocanegra
    Boa Morte
    McBride
    John

Subs:
    Radz, Jensen, Runstrom, Lastuvka, and Helguson

Am I interpreting this correctly? Boca in the midfield? Interesting and I hope it works.