FULHAM @t Tottenham [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Sep 12, 2006.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Line up should be very interesting. Probably no change to the back or the front, but the middle will be much different, especially if Diop is out as well.

Possible line up:

Niemi

Liam -- Boca -- Pearce -- Queudrue

Radz-- Claus? -- Brown -- Boa

John -- McBride

If no Claus, then it could even be Timlin.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'll buy your back 4 and keeper, but is Routledge also injured? I thought the only reason he didn't start against Toon Town was because he'd had international duty midweek.

How bad off is Papa? If he can't start, I think you go with Routledge, Jensen, Brown and Boa with Timlin and Radz on the bench.

John and McBride up front for sure.

The best news for FFC is that young Lennon probably won't start. I saw some holes in the Spurs midfield and defense. I think we can get a point at White Hart.

1-1 [McBride -- he looks in good form]

3. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I was under the assumption that Routeldge can't play against Spurs, although that is an UNCONFIRMED rumor.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am about 99% certain Routledge cannot play against Spurs for the fact that you cannot play against the team that has loaned you out.

Spurs have definitely underachieved so far this season. They have not been close to what they were last season. While that is the case, it will still be tough for Fulham to get any points out of this match. Perhaps a draw is in the cards, but I would be surprised if we got more than that with all of our injuries.

I have not heard the extent of Papa's injury, but knowing his track record we will not see him until November. I hope to see Claus back in the center of the park with Brown in their as well. I want Radz on the right with Boa on the left.

The defense seems to be doing okay right now surprisingly. Keep that group together and start McBride and Helguson up front this week.

The boys have to play with the heart, energy and enthusiasm they displayed last weekend at Newcastle. They do not have the talent Tottenham does, but if they outwork and outhustle them, anything is possible.

5. martin

martin New Member

Our midfield is looking pretty thin at the moment. It would be great to get Claus back in there. Maybe Volz comes in at right back and Liam moves into midfield? Is Elliott fit?

Spurs are a team that everyone was hyping up at the start of the season, but they haven't really impressed so far. They do have a lot of weapons, especially up top. Berbatov looks pretty dangerous.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Elliott is close to coming back, but I am not sure if he will be fully healthy this week. I would guess the Chelsea match would be a more realistic return date.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Seriously doubt they would do it, but Rosey at RW with Volz behind would be interesting. My understanding is that Routledge cannot play against the team that loaned him out. So Bullard and Routledge will not be available, but not sure about Papa? Claus we good for an insert, but is he match fit. Timlin would be thrown to wolves, but you have to get experience some time.

What's the word on Christenval? I think maybe bring Boca off the bench again if Pearce and Christenval are fit. Then there is the wild card, Knight.

So many decisions before Sunday!

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Nope! You're right; my duh. :oops:

I was thinking that this is one of the benefits of loans for the lender. This season, for example, ManUre will have four league matches against backup goalkeepers. That can't hurt them much.

Without Routledge, I'm a little less confident of that point. PCB's point is well taken. Nothing makes a big, rangy striker happier than a pacey winger who can make an accurate cross, and Brian will miss that next week. I also like Martin's suggestion of moving Volzy in the lineup and having Liam at RMF.

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

A lot of talk about Timlin coming in and playing in midfield. The problem I see is that Timlin is a left-sided midfielder. He plays only on the left and with Boa healthy, we do not need him there. I am not sure if he can play on the right side of midfield, but for a player with little to no experience, I do not think it is wise to throw him into a match playing a position he is not naturally comfortable playing.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Move Boa to the middle and Timlin out left, if it ever comes to that. As captain, Boa's leadership in the middle would be needed, if a bit unnnatural for him.

11. Yo_Adrian

Yo_Adrian New Member

Any news on Diop? I didn't think his injury was enough to keep him from this weekend's match.

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I have not heard anything on the Papa injury. I hope it is not serious, but I would not expect him to be playing this weekend or even next.

I hope the club gives us an update on this soon. With Bullard out for nine months, and the club already being thin, it could be crisis time for Fulham if Papa is out for long.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Boy, all that positive thinking that followed the Newcastle match seeped away in a big hurry, didn't it?

There's no place to go until January except within the squad. And, Tom, while I think your assessment has a sound basis, I for one am not going to yell "crisis" now any more that I'm ready to yell "Europe."

The boys are going to have to gird up their loins and do whatever they can to make the side better. We've lost our best player for the season, no doubt, but we survived without him all of last year. We've not got Jimmy Bullard and a bunch of empty uniforms. We'll be grinding it out, but I think we'll be there or thereabouts when the season is over.

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I'm with the Hatter. Until otherwise shown that Fulham does not have the capability and stones to keep competitive, I'm of the mindset that we can still be a force to be reckoned with and make some noise in the process.

Stranger things have happened, where misfortune turns into opportunity. I hope that may be the case for us this season.

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Call me delusional, but I'm a bit optimistic about Fulham. I'm not that worried. Yeah, I wish Bullard were healthy, but I think the team can do what needs to be done without him.

*knocks on wood* I just hope there are no more injuries.*knocks on wood, again*

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I hope you three are right in being positive. I want this team to do well. I just do not see it happening. I could go on and on about this, but I will not. I have my fingers crossed on the team having a good season but I am not very confident in that happening.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

On the other hand, you have every reason to feel dispair about our bet. As I type this, the Eagles are down a goal at home, while the other wonderful and heroic black-and-white crew are level. :wink:

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

After a strong opening part of the season, Palace has fallen on some hard times. I hope they can nick a draw today against Southampton but it does not look good. Southampton is a good squad.

19. fulhamluke

fulhamluke New Member

dirty spurs

put in moritz! move liam to midfield. problem solved for now. claus back in before too long hopefully.

20. rumstove

rumstove New Member

mmm fulham and spurs. I think Fulham can get something out of this game as Spurs haven't been as great as expected so far. Also, Fulham's 2 goals against Newcastle came after the Bullard injury, so life without Bullard is possible. so, besides Bullard, who else can't play due to injuries? eh, just for fun, my lineup:

Superhero Niemi
    Liam, Boca, Pearce,Quuu
    Radz, Brown, Boa
    HH, McBride, CJ

what? not realistic? haha. GO FULHAM!!!