Fulham @ Spuds

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Jan 25, 2010.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we have a league match TOMORROW. Our victory at Accrington Stanley broke our string of three losses and, perhaps, with a little luck our away hoo-doo.

Spuds looked less than scintillating against Leeds -- nice little striker, that Beckford lad -- and will either be pissed or disheartened. We, on the other hand, should be confident, but limping and confused.

We generaly suck at WHL, but -- hey, that's why they got to play 'em.

------------ Schwarzer the Stanley Assist Man -----------------

Kelly -------- Hughes --------- Asleep at the Wheel Hangeland --- Kallio

Duff -------- Murph ------------ Baird ---------- Gera

---------------- Nevland ---- AJ ---------------------

[Hope to see Kamara and Davies feature off the bench]

Spuds 2 Fulham 1

AND IT'S LIVE ON FSC!

2. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

As I mentioned on the latest pod, this match is a carbon copy of our last two league matches: Us traveling to opponents that haven't scored or won in quite some time.

And we all know how the last two turned out.

Please oh please don't make it 3-for-3 lads.

3. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

This match is troubling and I think we could get rolled tomorrow based on our current form. I also wouldn't be surprised to see us gut out a draw but nothing we have seen lately points to that type of result.

Hangers is dodgey in defense right now and Schwarzer looked a little shaky against Accrington.

I hope the boys just weren't 'up for it' given where and who they were playing. I hope our form turns tomorrow but I fear for the worse.

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Word is Zamora might make an appearance.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Kelly and Kallio are a huge dropoff from Pants and Konch. AJ was a no go w/an injury Sat. so it's iffy he'll be ready. Great news if Bobby Z can make an appearance, but fingers-crossed it's not too soon. Would like to see Riise get an opportunity. The kid has got talent, but needs developing, which comes from getting on the pitch with the big boys.

Realistically to get anything out of this match it will come down to the GKs. Mark will need to stand on his head and Gomes will need to screw up (not out of the realm of possibilities).

6. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Spurs have seen a rough patch as soon as Lennon came up lame. No word on his return so look for a relatively toothless effort unless someone finally decides to make something happen by running at someone or having the focus in front of goal to play away from the keeper or block.

That being said - the injury list is beyond a concern for Fulham... It is downright scary. Liabilities all around the pitch.

Spurs have to be favorites, but I predict more trouble finding the net.

1-0 Spurs.

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

It worked this past weekend, so...

COYW!

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

We're Burnley all of the sudden....tv-wise. That's two straight on FSC followed by a match in HD on ESPN2 this Sat. Much better.

Unfortunately, I don't expect better in the match. Scoring will be difficult for us in this one, I'll go 2-0 Spurs. The only thing that gives me optimism is the Leeds match. Leeds were hopelessly slower in the midfield and Tottenham bossed the pitch for a half. Yet they still managed two goals, even though one came from a pk. Unfortunately, we don't have a Beckford up front. If Bob can go and we play Gera up front with him, I'll like our chances a lot more. Lennon's absence would be a blessing. Kelly and Kallio are two slow to handle him.

9. general125

general125 New Member

I see the Spurs licking their wounded pride and still hanging their head when they come out. I don't like how we play away, but I think we'll hunker down and play back.

0-0 draw....I wish internet betting wasn't such a pain in the ass from the states. It would be nice if AJ played and squeeked one in, but Gomez has had some good games lately.

10. SoCalJoe

Bobby Z in. Smalling and Hangman in the center, Hughes moved outside.

11. SoCalJoe

Holy Crap, that was horrendous. Roy will need to go back to the drawing board. The captain has to play better, plain and simple. 4 league losses in a row (thank goodness for the 2 FA Cup wins or this month would be a downright disaster).

Silver Lining Dept.: Dio and Bobby look they might be able to start v Villa. If they can Gera can move back into the midfield.

12. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

well it can only go up from here.

right?

13. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

How did Davies look? I was glad to see him back.

14. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

How did Davies look? I was glad to see him back.

15. articbob

articbob Member

I hope so. Because this was painful to watch. Let's learn from this shite and end this month on a positive note.

LET'S GET SOME *&^%ING POINTS!!

16. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

I went to watch the game at a local pub near work and caught the second half. Talked to the bartender about how crap we looked today. Not only did the game suck, but some dillweed looked over at me and looked at the bartender and said "Isn't that cute? A girl who can talk about sports..."

Grrrrr.... :x

17. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Did those fellas leave with all of their teeth, Terri?

I concur, this was awful...again. Murphy, God bless him, is killing Fulham's attack right now, but it's slightly unfair to single him out when the entire midfield couldn't string passes together. At least Davies and Kamara made appearances.

Ahh, that ol' familiar feeling of what it is to be a Fulham supporter has returned...

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

ouch, terri!

Recap:

Schwarzer -- had another nightmare. After Riise gave up on a ball, Modric stabbed it over and Schwarzer charged out and whiffed at it. Bouncy bouncy goal. Tha Big Aussie gives away another.

Hughes -- interesting choice at right back. Played very well defensively [although he gave up the free kick that resulted in their 2nd goal]. but Roy likes his FBs to attack, and Aaron doesn't have an attacking bone in his body.

Hangeland -- did a fine job, and even made a guest appearance just outside Tottenham's penalty area late in the match. A good rebound from his 45 minute nap in the first half on Saturday.

Smalling -- not a single foot wrong in the first half, and a solid performance throughout. With him harrassing Crouch, we won every second ball for most of the match. I can see why Sir Alex is willing to pay 8m quid for him.

Baird -- GREAT match at left back [LEFT back? :shock: ] but why was he the option for our two most promising 2nd half free kicks? Botched them both.

Riise -- Can we PLEASE stop hearing about how good this guy looks and why it's a mystery known only to Roy that he hasn't feature in the Prem? He was easily the worst player on the pitch, couldn't make a single decent cross, flat out quit on a 50-50 ball that wound up in our net for the first goal and headed in their second. Nice to see Roy sub him out ... but I'd have done it 65 minutes earlier.

Dicgachoi -- Wow! what a very good match. Won several balls and looked strong and confident as defensive mid. Snatched at our best chance for a goal, but overall I think he proved he's probably a step ahead of Greening at the moment.

Duff -- Strong early, but had no energy or pace in the 2nd half. I don't think we'll see him twice in four days again, he just flat ran out of gas.

Gera -- good box-to-box performance for him, but the overall service to Zamora hurt his ability to help much. Liked his interception on what looked like a buildup to a sure Tottenham goal.

Zamora -- looked strong, but his timing was off. He was offsides 5 or 6 times in the first 20 minutes, killing just about every attacking possibility we had. He'll get better.

Davies & Kamara -- It's just too cool to be able to type those names. Kamara looked like himself immediately. Davies came on and disappeared, but then played a Simon Davies-ish ball into their penalty area very late for what should have been a decent shot on goal but was muffed. Both players looked fit, so it's nice to know that they are options.

Elm -- his major contribution was winning a free kick that Murphy sent into a Spud's defenders shin. [Please Simon, come back and take the free kicks!] He's taller and thinnker than another recent "jeez is that all that's left at the end of our bench," but I've watched him twice this week and am starting to wonder if the Finnish translation of David Elm is Shefki Kuci.

Overall, while everyone thought that our biggest loss was our attackers -- of Zamora, Johnson, Kamara, and Dempsey Bobby Z is the healthiest :shock: :shock: -- it's obvious that we're fekked without our starting FBs. We really are going to miss Paintsil and Konchesky, and we might be missing the latter for the rest of the season. They are so essential to firing our attacks, and they allow Duff and Dempsey to get inside and cause trouble. Roy's decision to play a central defender and a defensive mid at the FB positions rather than Kallio and Kelly says TONS about how much we're going to miss them JP & PK.

We didn't mount a single coherent attack today. We had periods in the 20 minutes leading up to their first goal where we kicked the ball around and looked cool and fluid doing it, but inevitably, somebody -- usually Murphy or Riise -- would meekly give up possession rather than make that killer pass. The game cried out for the kind of stunning creativity that we associate with Simon Davies and Clint Dempsey. We didn't see any of that today, and that hurts. How bad was it? Gomes hurt his shoulder about 20 minutes into the match, and we never forced him to dive or leap ONCE in the 70 minutes that followed. :x

Overall, a stunningly crap display by our guys.

About Spurs? I don't think you'll see them in the top 6, never mind the top four when the season is over. Defoe is right on time for his annual mid-season funk and pout session, Robbie Keane is clearly past it, Dawson [and isn't it amazing that he was once a dead certainty for this World Cup with England?] is probably the best of their central defenders and he's really not any better than average. They have Modric, Palacios, and Kranchar, but Huddlestone hasn't improved under Harry, nor has Bentley or any other midfielder save Lennon. Without him, Spurs had to depend on two howling defensive mistakes to beat a team that is so poor it couldn't test a one-armed goalkeeper. Meanwhile the 3rd division side who embarrassed them this past weekend lost 3-0 today to a 3rd division opponent.

When it's all over and done, I believe Spurs will finish behind The Undead, United, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, and Everton -- and maybe even Birmingham City. I think we'll be lucky to finish 10th.

On to the weekend!

19. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I was going to post some comments but Don did it so eloquently that I will just say ditto to his post.

20. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Ugh - my 2 clubs and they both looked crap. Spurs are going to have trouble if Keane doesnt start to get something going. Defoe will sort it out if Lennon comes back.

I have a hard time thinking Fulham will keep their feet with all the injuries, but I have been wrong about Roy in the past and I am wary of counting him out this time. 2 more matches will tell the tale.