Fulham @ Shaktar Donetsk

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by timmyg, Feb 22, 2010.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I love, LOVE how Woy went there with all guns blazing and starting basically our starting XI.

Now we face the only team in the world I dislike as much as They Who Will Not Be Named -- if GJ won't say their name, neither will I.

And the Juve are crapping the bed left and right -- I like our chances.

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I'm speechless...just unbelievable.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, I've waited for FulhamAg to report, but I'll go ahead.

What a WONDERFUL way for our Lion & Rose winning streak to come to an end. Highlights:

1. Matt called the score and posted it on the site.
    2. I pointed out to Matt that the biggest problem we were having was that Shaktar wasn't fouling us when we counter-attacked. I said that if we don't get fouled we're not going to be able to take any free kicks or challenge their goal.
    3. Guy born in Houston scores -- if I'm not incorrect, that's Brede's first headed goal for us.
    4. As Matt pointed out, Shaktar looked blown out about 65 minutes in. They were doing a lot of standing around. DiSouza came in and was amazing.
    5. When Bobby was withdrawn in favor of Elm, both of us were shocked. We figured Gera for sure, since he was our only poor player up to that time. I said. "That's stupid." Matt begins composing his post, "HatterDon calls Roy Hodgson stupid."
    6. Matt saying something along the lines of, "It's not Roy. It's not the players. It's this Fullers ESB that's making us so unbeatable.
    7. The stats at one point read: Shaktar 0 goals 11 shots; Fulham 1 goal 1 shot.
    8. Shaktar were highly accurate from 20-35 yards out. They stung Schwarzer's hands pretty good. The scuffed EVERY shot they took from inside the box until they equalized.
    9. WE'RE IN THE SWEET 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ratings:

Schwarzer: Man of the first half if not the match. The goal was not his fault. Except for the one cross he blocked at his near post and fumbled over the line for a corner, he was faultless 9

Baird: A brilliant, brilliant performance by a guy playing out of position. Took a lot fewer runs up the line than he usually does, but he contributed there as well. 7.5

Hangeland: He did the best impersonation of last season's Brede Hangeland we've seen all season. He was huge in defense. My favorite moment was his intercepting a pass, moving up into the center circle, drawing the defense, and calmly slotting over to Duff for a counter attack. 9

Hughes: We stopped counting how many times his boot broke up a Shaktar attack or deflected a goal-bound effort. Steady and calm. 8.5

Kelly: Two good matches in a row against the defending champions WHILE PLAYING OUT OF POSITION should give him some peace from all the detractors, shouldn't it? He made some solid clearances and good interceptions. Only one or two runs up the wing, but he linked well with Simon. 7.5

Duff: Our most creative player again was also probably our best defensive midfielder. When Duff is defending at the edge of our area, that's a good time to relax. When he's at the edge of our opponent's area, that's a good time to get excited. Brilliant free kick. Hangeland only had one foot off the ground when he hammered it home. 8.5

Etuhu: He was better than in the last two matches, but he still breaks up and intercepts better than he passes. Time and again, other players would seize possesion with a flick to a teammate. Dickson didn't do it much. He'll get better. 6.5

Murphy: He had a really solid game for about 91 minutes. He was a pain to their central mids, and was at his usual level contributing to forward movements. I was shocked at the straight red, but Matt said it was merited. Once I saw the replay, I agreed. The guy won possession and started to move and Danny tripped him with his boot at least knee-high. 8

Davies: He had a fairly quiet match as almost all of our creativity was up the right wing, but he supported Kelly brilliantly and he contributed to the Fulham midfield's total domination of Shaktar in the second half. He's getting stronger every game, and I would have liked to have seen him get into their penalty area a bit more. 7.5

Gera: He was a half-step off all day. His only highlight was his breakaway late in the match. I'm not slating him for missing, but it was pretty much his only contribution. The TV never gave a list of who was on the bench, but if Nevland was there, I'd have rather seen him replace Gera than Elm replace Zamora. 5

Zamora: He was strong and stalwart. He had one good crack from the edge of the area, but most of the day he was penalized for fouls the majority of which would have been ignored in the Prem. For much of the match, he was the only guy up front, and he did very well in keeping posession by himself. He helped out quite a bit in defense as well, especially so for the 25-30 corners Shaktar had. 7.5

Hodgson: I've never seen him leap out of his seat and berate an official like he did when Duff was sent flying. Shaktar are not a dirty team, but as they got tired, they got a little chippy. Roy was furious. I hope that incident makes the headlines. The guys executed his plans brilliantly, and we're kicking ass in Europe. 9.5 [but for the Elm substitution, I'd have given him a 10]

Bring on Ajax or Juventus. I don't really care which. This is apparently a team of destiny.

4. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

Zamora was hurt Don & could miss the Sunderland game on Sunday.

http://hammyend.com/?p=5651

Great win. I'm still tired from all the fist pumping and yelling.

Bring on Juventus.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Oh yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about

6. Clevelandmo

Well I believe that was Brede's first headed goal, and I think he has now got the "Hange" of it. Bring on the corners!

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

YES! Well done Fulham.

The Elm substitution didn't make any sense to me until reading that he was injured. My recording of the match stopped with about three minutes left in full-time so I missed the tackle on Duff, Roy's reaction and Murphy's red card.

8. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Fantastic.

COYW, the Old Lady awaits...

10. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Boo-yah!

11. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I would guess Shakhtar had 70+% possession...but it didn't matter :-D

It was a quiet pub until Brede's goal - then the other dozen or so people turned and looked at me with a "what are you yelling about" look. It was great! :-D

12. LOBO

LOBO New Member

Just got around to watching the DVR'd version last night and.... wow.

What a victory!

I give a lot of credit to how the team repelled each wave of Shaktar's attack.

DVR stopped recording at 89th minute just as Riise was being subbed on, so I missed Murphy's card.

I had to check the score online immediately to put my mind at ease.

Awesome stuff...

13. Clevelandmo

LOBO that is a great signature line.

14. LOBO

LOBO New Member

Thanks.

I actually stole it from a Fulham blog (don't remember which one), but it was part of larger poem.

I stole what I thought was the best part.:wink:

Despite his tendency for erratic play, Kamara was one of my favorites...

15. Bradical

Bradical Member

Wow and wow. Couldn't watch the match so I appreciate the post game ratings, Don. The club is having a run that can only be described as "charmed" - just a pleasure to tag along for the sweet ride.

Bring on Juve - they'll need to double book their hotel rooms due to all of their... baggage. Does anyone know our history w/ Juve (or if we have one)?

16. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Don pretty much covered it for me. A couple of thoughts:

Shakhtar remind me a lot of Mexico on offense. They were content to try and run us around with a neat, patient passing game outside of the area. Fortunately, we didn't allow them to take advantage of that big-ass pitch and stayed compact, keeping them out of the box for the most part. Credit to them, they got off some lasers, but Mark had them covered. When they did get in the box, they impersonated Zamora '08-09.

What the heck were those mascots of their's supposed to be.

Fulham have an unusual unbeaten run going (almost all wins) when Don and I watch at the pub and drink Fullers ESB this season. I'm thinking Mike needs to see about getting MAF to give us a stipend to continue this behavior.

Awesome result. These last 18 months have been incredible.