Fulham @ Shaktar Donetsk

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by timmyg, Feb 22, 2010.

1. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Quite possibly our toughest road trip yet?

There seems to be a blend of dread and optimism around the various boards and sites about this one, but I'll just say I hope the lads continue to make us proud.

I will gripe about GolTV though. Seriously, we've had ONE game shown on that network this entire competition. How can a network with two of the best American announcers screw something like that up?

Here's hoping a single feed will be available...

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Really hope Konch can give it a go. Judging by Roy's comments it sounds like barring knocks picked up in the Brum match our best XI will be out there. The big Aussie will need to do his thing. The away form leads one to be less than optimistic, but a 1-1 draw isn't out of the realm.

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I'm assuming its going to be on DirectTV again so I'll be taking a "late lunch" at Sonomas' in Columbia to watch the game.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We're safe now -- for all intents and purposes -- so I'd imagine that Roy is going after cup glory on two fronts. If he's well, It woud be nice for Konch to slot in for Kelly at LB, move Kelly over to RB and Baird in Etuhu's position. Aside from that, same again as the home leg.

I'm hoping that DirecTV will be showing it. It'll be at 1 o'clock your time, andypalmer, and FulhamAg and I will put our season-long winning streak on the line at the pub.

I'm one of those who's not hopeful. Shaktar, after all played better than Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United, and Chelsea did at our house this season, and I'm not too hopeful for a result at our away matches v. the first three in that group.

Gonna give it our best support, though.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

That bad run of form when the injury spell hit sucked so I would rather we pick one of the cups and rest our important guys during the other cup. But lucky for you lot, I am not Woy. I want the FA; COYWs

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Not to hijack, but I lived there for a couple of years. Weirdest street names you'll ever see.

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

The match is showing on the Directv listing, channel 463, at 11:45 CST on Thursday.

8. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Thursday's weather forecast for Donetsk: Partly cloudy with a high of 41F. Low on Thursday night of 29F. I guess that would put it in the 30s at game time. Not too bad for February in the Ukraine.

9. jmh

jmh New Member

I was definitely expecting worse, though in any case I don't think we've got anybody on the team who's never dealt with winter weather before. (Maybe Okaka, but he spent time on loan at Modena and Brescia in Northern Italy, and in any case he's cup-tied.) More importantly, perhaps it won't be overly unpleasant for traveling fans.

10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

As long as Shaktar don't catch lightening in a bottle early, I am unusually optimistic of Fulham's chances of a draw.

This is epic in my relatively brief history with the club: not only does Fulham enter the 2nd leg against the cup holders, in their behemoth stadium, with a goal advantage, the opportunity to play either Ajax or Juventus looms...

Regardless of the outcome, it has been a fun ride for the Whites and their supporters.

COYW!

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

As I said, it feels a little like betting with house money, but I bet the dressing room does not feel that way.

I have faith in RH, as usual, for a good lineup.

COYW

12. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

One note of worry: Shaktar haven't lost at home since October 2008.

13. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

One note of worry: Shaktar haven't lost at home since October 2008.

14. general125

general125 New Member

I think I get GolTV, but I've never taken the time to watch Colombian football, although they used to have a pretty good la liga highlights show. It was the kind of show where the announcer gives you the finger gun when he's introduced.

I don't really have anything bad to say about DirecTV. These are the times when I'm really glad I have it. I have no desire to watch any of the other 15ish Europa League games that are on at the same time. I'm just happy to see some News Corp. synergy. When Fox has excess soccer inventory, they just put them somewhere in the 400's.

For those of you that love random college football DirecTV also carries "the mtn." Fulhamag doesn't have to worry about that because his team lives under a real TV contract :)

I'm not expecting a whole lot. I'll be shocked if we score an away goal. I doubt we'll score our own goal or keep a clean sheet. The "fulhamish" label has to strike at some point in the season, doesn't it?

How many away fans will travel? They have several things going against them. It's a midweek game. Not only would you have to travel to the Ukraine, but you'd have to travel to Donetsk. Also, standing outside for a few hours while it's 30....no thanks.

Isn't Donetsk in the Russian speaking east?

15. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: Re: Fulham @ Shaktar Donetsk

Donetsk is in the 2nd most Eastern province of Ukraine, is the largest city in Eastern Ukraine and has a population made up of mostly Ethnic Russians and Russian-speaking Ukrainians.

Interesting enough, the city was founded by a Welshman with the last name of Hughes...

Due to that, parts of the city center have a very British feel, organizationally and architecturally.

16. general125

general125 New Member

Re: RE: Re: Fulham @ Shaktar Donetsk

When I was in Europe last May, I almost planned a trip to Ukraine, but the travel would have tacked on vacation days I didn't have. Now you make me want to visit even more.

I don't think I'll make it in time for the game.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

at least you won't have to change planes in Dallas.

18. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Good thing a draw advances us to the next round then, eh?

19. jmh

jmh New Member

Does anyone else see "Donbass Arena" and think it says "Dumbass Arena"?

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah, I also thought they named it in honor of John Harkes.