Fulham rumours for January '06

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by rumstove, Sep 4, 2005.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Our luck he'll turn into a real D menace...

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Fulham are rumoured to be interested in signing out of favor Barcelona striker Maxi Lopez to a loan deal in January. Fulham and West Ham are the potential suitors for the 21-year-old Argentinian. This would give us another strong, young attacking option up front.

I do feel that it would take Lopez at least half a season to get acquainted to the Premiership. However, if the price is right, he could be very useful for us. He is young, can score goals and help our team in that department.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Big Mo seems to be talking a good game in terms of wanting the club to improve. He recently spoke with SkySports.com about wanting to bring in some new players and move the club to another level. Not sure if I believe he will give Cookie the money he needs to do that, but we will see in a few weeks when the transfer window opens. Here is a link to the story:

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?HLID ... Home&f=rss

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I read this morning that Wayne Bridge might be loaned out to Fulham in January. He would definitely solve our left back problem if this did come true. He is trying to revive his World Cup hopes with a move to a team he can play consistently for. This would be a nice move for Fulham.

5. DCDave

DCDave Member

Rumor from the BBC Site:

"Wigan and Fulham share Rangers' interest in signing Hibernian midfielder Scott Brown (Scottish Sun)"

Anybody know anything about him?

6. AGreen16

AGreen16 Member

Apparently we are watching Kanu

7. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Where did you hear that Allegra??!! Maybe Chris does have money to spend?

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Perhaps I am the pessimist, but this would not be a good signing for us. Kanu has been the model of inconsistency for both Arsenal and West Brom the last few seasons. Not sure how much West Brom would be asking for, but I bet we would overpay for him.

9. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Straight from the Guardian:

Fulham are interested in the Australian international defender Ljubo Milicevic of the Swiss side FC Thun but are likely to face competition from other Premiership clubs. The 24-year-old can play in central defence or midfield and could be available on a six-month loan. He started both Thun's Champions League games against Arsenal this season and looks set to be part of Australia's World Cup squad.

Atleast its a DEFENDER!

10. Jacob

Jacob New Member

11. DCDave

DCDave Member

From Sky Sports summary of possible Premiership moves this January:

Fulham
    New Zealand international Simon Elliott has already joined Chris Coleman's Cottagers and more fresh faces could be on the way. Australian Ljubo Milicevic is another name on the hit-list and old boy Sean Davis of Spurs would be welcomed back with open arms. Brentford defender Sam Sodje has indicated he expects to join the club in January and Ghanaian Laryea Kingston is another who claims Fulham want to sign him.

Birmingham City
    Lee Bowyer and Sylvain Legwinski are midfield options and a defensive recruit is another possibility after Paul Scharner snubbed Blues for Wigan.

Manchester City
    The City boss is likelier to try and look closer to home with Norwich's Dean Ashton and Fulham's Steed Malbranque definitely on his shopping list in an ideal world.

My comments--PBD and LBM are not mentioned on any other team's lists and Steed is mentioned only if passing (see above). That, combined with the number of names we seem to be talking about adding, sounds good. Does anybody know about any of these guys?

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I have heard good things about Sodje...I think he's linked with a couple a teams...I think Reading were trying to sign him, to pretty much shore up their Championship League title run.

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Wow! This is very intriguing. Szetela is only 18 and has a load of potential. I do not think he could step in and get the job done in the first team, but in a year or two he might be able to.

I am also happy to see the club is getting something out of the Columbus trip this summer. First it was Simon Elliott and now potentially Danny Szetela. I wonder how much the match against the Crew had to do with this possible signing.

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Pettyfog, Jux and Mrs Jux,
    What do you think of Szetela? You three have seen him play more than all of us combined. Does he have a shot to do well in the Premiership?

16. pettyfog

Underachiever... both at the Crew, where he did well enough, but most pertinently at the U-20's this summer... Sigi, the new Crew coach was the manager and didnt rate him too much, apparently... thus.....

If Adu's not ready for Prime Time, Danny isnt either.

His best bet's to go with a Div 1 team (screw pretension) where he'll contend for starter after a few to 18 months.

He could PROBABLY get that at Cols...but he got soured with Sigi for leaving him off in the dutch games.

And BTW, pay no attention to the old stuff about Danny being upset with going to Columbus... PLENTY nice chicks around Columbus; but strict ID laws, might factor, too.

17. Jacob

Jacob New Member

He's 18? I would think we need to sign some mature players now, so we can hopefully avoid the relegation zone this season. I really wish we had the cash to sign a couple mature players. Wish in one hand spit in the other......

18. pettyfog

Holy crap!

Just signed Elliot, that's mature enough; He'll help avoid relegation, if he's called on to replace papa.

And half the offal denizens are slating off CC for not signing young-uns!

But again, Danny's ONLY 'training with'...I'd say you're more likely to see him go to Reading... and then, in a year or so, Fulham's fans teeth will grind about it.

19. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Well Reading will be top flight next year. Hopefully they will set their sights elsewere? I don't know. I wasn't refering to Elliot, but we could use some more players with experience. We don't need Benficas under classmen that's for sure.

20. sfm

sfm Member

The BBC reports tonight that Mark Schwarzer has handed in a transfer request @ Boro. Whilst admittedly our key weaknesses have been @ centre and right back, Schwarzer would improve our chance of staying up, I believe. I have seen him play well for both club and country in past -- last week's gaff against Newcastle nothwithstanding--and I simply do not think Norm is up to it any longer. What do others think?