Fulham @ Manchester United

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by timmyg, Nov 28, 2007.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I made the trip up to Old Trafford to support the boys. Have to agree with Tom that there really would only be one winner and we knew who that was after the line ups were read. I mean, thats the problem with the prem, 80% of the world class talent are at the top 4 and it will always be that way. It's a shame. The atmosphere at Old Trafford, for my third time, was awful from the UTD fans...silent almost all game except for the two goals and the good old 'United' chant.

We didn't bring many ourselves but we were quality. COYW's

Fulham Highlights below:

Great team play for Fulham 29 & Two great shots by Murphy 29 & 30

Chances for both teams between min 60 & 67

C.Ronaldo is booked with a yellow card because the referee thought C.Ronaldo acted to get a PK 78

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Wow! That was a certain penalty, wasn't it? Don't know how it didn't get called, but maybe we're starting to even up.

In terms of the gap in quality, exhibit one is this weekend's Villa v. Arsenal match. Arsenal's teamwork and precision throughout is breathtaking. If anyone has video of Adabayor's goal [Arsenal's second], the buildup was stunning. Four or five one-touch flicks, a pinpoint cross, a crushing header. Okay, Zat Knight might have deflected the cross if he'd have lifted even one foot off the ground, but the gap between the top four and FFC is so clear in that match and in that move.

Nevertheless, good things are coming for us.

3. jmh

jmh New Member

That looked like a pretty solid trip to me, but I thought Ronaldo was offside.

4. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

If you look closely though, Ronaldo plans the dive before he kicks the ball to his left...if he had alteast attempted to jump Niemi and play the ball it would've been a defo penalty. Oh well, couldn't of happened to a better man.

5. Hoppy

Hoppy New Member

Ronaldo

I think Ronaldo pushed it too far, saw he couldn't get it and went for a dive. If he'd tried to dribble round Niemi, he would have scored.

How come Shrek Rooney can bad mouth the ref and get away with it, yet Simon Davies gets a yellow.

Kuqi was nowhere near as slow and clumsy as the Offal would have you believe. Actually showed a few nice touches.

We looked quite good at 1-0 down, but after the second, we seemed to resort to kick and hope, which just gave the ball away and put us back under pressure.

Davis surely deserves the boot after gifting the 1st goal.

6. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

RE: Ronaldo

Cant determine whether or not this puts things into perspective:

• FULHAM VERDICT: Only the excellent Niemi prevented a rout. Sanchez spent £26million in the summer yet, though Murphy, Davis and Simon Davies are tidy footballers, this is a team with a flimsy spine and lacking in at least three departments. Without a dominant central defender, a strong defensive midfielder and a striker superior to Kuqi, a relegation battle beckons.

taken from: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... d=tab2pos1

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Re: Ronaldo

I agree with Hoppy and the refs call. As a fan, I want to see players go for the goal rather than dive at contact that could be avoided, especially when it's the goalie. Ronaldo could've easily gotten around Neimi. Thankfully he went for the PK and the Manure fans were denied a goal.

8. RDG

RDG Member

RE: Re: Ronaldo

I, too, think that the ref actually got the call right. Of course, if id HAD been called a penalty on Niemi, I would not have been in the least surprised. Ronaldo and Rooney are two gifted players and have great drive. However, they seem determined to be petulant about calls that they see as wrong. The call against Ronaldo could have been avoided if only have used his skills to saunter past Niemi and dunked the ball in the goal. John McEnroe syndrome??

9. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

RE: Re: Ronaldo

I think Ron was a little hard done by, most refs would have given a pen and if the shout was Healy against EDVS we would be up in arms. BUT - it only goes to make it more funny.

Either way he is still a diving cheat, so sod him.