Fulham @ Manchester United

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by timmyg, Nov 28, 2007.

1. DCDave

DCDave Member

I never want to predict Fulham will lose, so I will not make a prediction on the game. I'm prepared to be surprised, though!

Does anybody know of a free radio feed that will carry the game? I can't watch TV on this computer, nor install any third-party software.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Well if wearing different manner of Fulham gear for the past 4 days brings any luck, I have done my part.

I say we give them a little more fight than expected, and just maybe nick a tie.

That's about all I can manage to imagine at Old Trafford.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

did anyone else see the article saying that MAF has decreed that we have to beat ManU or Lawrie will be fired?

What insanity! I know that two managers have already been fired for not beating Chelscum, but really ... at Old Trafford? Ridiculous.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I did not Don. Do you have a link?

That is ludicrous.

5. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I'll be listening to Gentlemen Jim today and hoping for the best as well as trying subdue my loud outbursts here in the computer lab.

6. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

google "match console", follow the first link, then search around for the fulham match. if you click on the audio link below the ffc crest, you should get gentleman jimbo.

hope that helps.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Tom [and others] Here it is:
    http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/26997

COYW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

i love british "journalism" where there's only one quote, and hundreds of words not about that quote.

i'm off the pubs. COYW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Utter, complete bishop.

10. DCDave

DCDave Member

Got it. Thanks TimmyG!

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Interesting lineup:

1 Edwin Van der Sar (G) (G) Antti Niemi 29
    6 Wes Brown (D) (D) Aaron Hughes 18
    3 Patrice Evra (D) (D) Paul Konchesky 4
    5 Rio Ferdinand (D) (D) Elliot Omozusi 22
    15 Nemanja Vidic (D) (D) Dejan Stefanovic 6
    8 Oliveira Anderson (M) (M) Simon Davies 25
    11 Ryan Giggs (M) (M) Steven Davis 10
    4 Owen Hargreaves (M) (M) Clint Dempsey 23
    7 Cristiano Ronaldo (M) (M) Danny Murphy 27
    10 Wayne Rooney (S) (S) Hameur Bouazza 24
    32 Carlos Tevez (S) (S) Shefki Kuqi 14
    Substitutes
    29 Tomasz Kuszczak (G) (G) Tony Warner 12
    22 John O'Shea (D) (D) Chris Baird 34
    16 Michael Carrick (M) (D) Carlos Bocanegra 3
    24 Darren Fletcher (M) (M) Seol Ki-Hyeon 7
    9 Louis Saha (S) (S) David Healy 9

Off to an appointment. Can't be in the chatroom; sorry. COYW

12. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

horrible start!!! 1-0 Manure in the 10th.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

better stats on the road at Old Trafford than at home v. Blackburn in terms of possession and shots.

Sounds like Niemi had a hell of a match. The Soccernet writeup didn't say, was Dempsey hurt when he came off, or just ineffective?

If he wasn't hurt, losing by 2 on the road against United is no crime, and so it wasn't a disastrous result.

14. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

totally agree donny. i think demp was taken off for a real striker, but healy didnt really do much in his stead.

i watched the match and here are some positives:

fulham wasnt embarrased (yes manyoo had a lot of chances, but its manyoo at home!)
    no one got injured
    we created some chances
    i actually agreed with ls's strategies
    niemi was spectacular

that being said, ls needs to either change or substitute the central midfielders. they're aren't totally harming us (ala Knight or Lastuvka), but they also are not creative and able to move the ball forward. if he continues to trot murphy and davis out there, i am going to get very angry.

although its a disappointing result, i'm proud of the lads. granted goodison is no cake walk, i think that some things may happen next week at everton.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

thanks for your insight, timmyg. I can't help but believe that we're better and playing more strongly than at any time last year. If this is indeed the truth, then where will we be with a healthy Bullard and McBride in the 2nd half.

On to Goodison ... better do your stretching, Tim Howard!

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Yes, I think we didn't gain anything at Old Trafford, but we didn't lose much, except the match (if that makes sense).

I predict a much more competitive match against the Taffees, and will be shocked if it is not. Potential 3 pointer, but most definitely should set our sights on 1.

Say what you will about Christiano, but when he decides to impose himself on a match, there really are not too many Premiership clubs that can do much. And Tevez makes Rooney look slow and uncreative.

17. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Fulham played well. Was more dangerous tonight than at Liverpool. Actually held court for stretches of the game. Man Utd didn't play that well, kind of like early in the season when the drew to Reading and loss to Man City. So Fulham, with better fortune, could have gotten a point out of the game. Setanta announcers seemed to respect how Fulham was playing.

Dempsey played well I thought. He almost setup a score for Murphy, but van der Sar parried away. I didn't think he should have been taken off but it allowed for Healy and Seol to come on. He took a knock from Vidic who got yellow carded fort it but appeared okay... maybe he slowed some. Not really sure.

18. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

I dunno, the boys seemed sluggish at times today. However, I have a gut feeling the "15 month nightmare" will end Saturday. Yes, I believe we can win at Everton.

19. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I hate to say this, but this loss was inevitable and watching the match from the beginning there was only going to be one result today.

Fulham was not terrible on the day, they were just not as good as Manchester United.

20. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Everytime that Manchester Utd went forward, I felt that they could score. I don't believe it is the lack of defensive solidarity, but the quality that Utd has going forward.

Every Fulham player gave their all. Can't fault the side for effort. Steven Davis was once again lost in the middle and continued to give possession away. Would much rather have seen Dempsey and Murphy or Smertin in the middle. Dempsey isn't allowed much time on the ball and is far less affective on the wing. He did have that one amazing run down the sideline though and nearly embarassed the entire Manchester Utd defense.

Fulham's MOTM is without question Niemi. He's been fantastic for Fulham the past few matches and has kept the scoreline down when Fulham could have been potentially blown out of the water. Murphy was Fulham's only threat going forward and he took some fantastic shots on goal and if Van Der Sar would of been a lesser keeper one of them would of resulted in a goal.

All in all the result we were expecting. Now onto Goodison Park...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One last point I needed to make... Vidic was out of order in his tackle on Dempsey and should of been sent straight off. A tackle like that could of ended his season. How a yellow is only issued is beyond me. The second bit was the temper and belligerent yelling at the referee by Rooney when he was called offside. Fast forward a few minutes and Simon Davies merely shouts at the referee and straight away a yellow is given to him for a far less boisterous display in digust with a call. Either the home crowd at OT played a part in his decision making or Fulham just get overlooked again.