Fulham @ Manchester United

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, Feb 2, 2006.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, after Tuesday's big win over Spurs, it is on to Old Trafford and Manchester United. Rumour has it Michael Brown will be making his debut for us. Who else do you want to see in the lineup? McBride and Helguson together still?

I know Fulham should probably get destroyed in this fixture, but I think a "Fulhamish" performance might be in store and the Cottagers might get their first road win of the season.

Perhaps I am getting too optimistic with this one, but I just have a feeling Saturday will be a special day for Fulham and its' supporters.

What does everyone else think?

2. rumstove

rumstove New Member

This may be as good a time as any to play United. No Giggs, no Scholes, Rio is now suspended, I think O'Shea is still out. The main concern obviously is containing Rooney/Saha/van Nistelnoodle. I really think Fulham can come away with a point.

How bad is Legwinski's injury he picked up against Spurs?

Niemi--my new hero, Rosenior, Goma, Boca, Bridge, Steed, Brown, Elliott, Boa Morte, McBride, CJ

3. Zack

Zack New Member

What a great day that would be...it seems right for the taking, but dont want to hex it..especially after the 91st minute thriller....I LOVED IT..as my brother and friend were giving crap, saying fulham were gonna lose and other "non-positive" comments......gonna retreat to my favorite pub (Zack's Couch) for a few pints in my Harrods glasses and hope for 3....COYW...should be a fun match!!!!

4. DCDave

DCDave Member

I'm bumed that Blackburn beat the Red Devils this week, because that can only serve to fire them up. I really like our team now, but this is a tall order. A draw would be fine, a win...well...that'd open some eyes around the league!

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I am heading up to Manchester via the Fulham coach bus this weekend before heading back to New York on Monday. I'm really looking forward to this match for many reason but mainly because if the right 'Fulham' show up, they will battle for the 3 pts...as history shows, we always do well against them regardless of Venue.

Speaking of Venue, I have always wanted to see Fulham play at Old Trafford and my line up would be:

Niemi

Liam -- Boca -- Goma -- Bridge

Brown -- Steed -- Elliot -- Boa

McBride -- HH

Liam always struggles against Ronoldo so thats a major worry, that, and Saha is playing some great soccer again. If Boa and Steed show up and have solid games, I can see a draw.

COYW's!

6. sfm

sfm Member

@ the Airport now about to depart for Mancs. Watched RDG's tape of the '03 away match, as if I needed to be inspired for this one. Will be in Block 231 Row 13 seat 17, still w an extra seat in our end. Anyone interested, pls reply to my mailbox here. Will look for you there, Mike.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm going way out on a 'Fulhamish' limb, here...

Given Brian's recent past of having good goals rejected, I'm saying

1-2; Saha, McBride (2)

UNLESS Radz plays, then it will REALLY be Fulhamish! Goals by McBride, Radz.

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

It was a courageous effort from Fulham today, but tje defense once again let them down in a 4-2 thriller at Old Trafford. The third Manchester United goal should not have counted as Ruud Van Nistelrooy was clearly offsides. However, it was not called.

Fulham looked dangerous all night long. McBride and Helguson were both effective and caused problems for United all evening. However, defensively, we gave up four goals and that will not win you any matches.

The first goal was a deflection, the second a free kick and the last a tough shot from Ronaldo.

I thought Niemi played well for us. In addition, the overlapping of Rosenior and Bridge was effective. However, Rosenior had some trouble with Ronaldo as most players do.

I have seen the defense play much, much worse than they did today. Luck was not on their side.

I heard on the broadcast that Fulham is the only team in all divisions to have no wins on the road. That needs to change soon. Their next chance is at Bolton in three weeks.

9. DCDave

DCDave Member

I saw the game and was as pleased as I could be by what Fulham did. I was very impressed by Michael Brown--he seems to have a good eye for the ball and doesn't have any trouble mixing it up with any player. He's gong to be a good one. Offensively, they kept coming at ManU, making them make bad plays to stop out guys (they had several yellows). I agree with Tom that Niemi played very well--he made several key saves that kept us in the game, something I remember from the guy who was in the goal for the other team today. I agree with everything Tom said.

10. Zack

Zack New Member

give it time....Mr. Brown will indeed step into the fold on and be a GREAT contributor to the whites....cant wait for the next 3 pts. and for the first away win at Bolton......despite being let down w/ the thrilling match today, it was good to see attacking and Inspired football from fulham.....if the defense takes a hint from the hard work from all the lads and minus a few unfortunate deflections (unlucky!!!!)..i think things are looking good....COYW.....lets take our 3 pts from WBA!!!!!

11. AmericanBob

AmericanBob New Member

Good shot at Man U. The first early Man U goal and I thought it was going to be a long night for the Whites. However after Man U scored their 2nd Fullham came out and played football and the match got very interesting, without the bad call it would have evened the score and sometimes the mood of the play changes and you begin to take the offense,
    IMHO: The ref's should be able to be carded by league officals for mised and bad calls, keep them on their toes and awake.
    The Rest was balanced play and a few good attempts by the whites to score but saves by the the Goalie and the Red's Big D.
    Whites, good match hoping to break the bad run next road match. Just got io cable for FSN Soccer channel, now I can watch my favorite football team play until I can get back to England for a real live match.

12. CriticalBill

CriticalBill New Member

i ran home from work today to enjoy the match on the new io box, and i must say it was rather enjoyable but the road is not to friendly to us but it was a great effort to say the least. the one thing i think we should work on is to tighten up the d, yes i know man u is very offensive minded but i still think we need to d up a bit. but like i said in the beging i was just happy to watch the match live at home althought being there would have been alot nicer but untile the return trip i will be very happy just to see the boys play on the tube

CB

13. RDG

RDG Member

The big difference between the two teams is: when we deflect the ball, it's a goal (e.g.: Bocannegra's deflection), however, when MU's defense defelected the ball, it went to VDS (e.g.: Steeeeeeed's wonderful run). At least the lads did not give up and played with heart. Actually, seeing a 4-2 loss on tape was a TON better than what I was doing at the time the match was live. At least I've got perspective, though I'd have really enjoyed a few points (and they would have offset this bad weekend!)

14. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Man U. Fulha.

I think we have alot more to be happy about from this match, albeit a loss.

1) Their first goal was a deflection
    2) Free kick was lucky but unstoppable
    3) Their third goal was OFFSIDES by a mile
    4) Their final goal was in the dieing moments of the match

Our fans were fantastic and definitely gave as much vocal support as you could ever expect. Its frustrating to see United win under extreme circumstances, that linesman will be getting an earful from me that bastard...WE ARE FULHAM.

Also, I just wanted to note that I was not impressed with Old Trafford. I expected so much more from a stadium I've seen on TV since my childhood but it was so...errr...American! Don't get me wrong, it was large but it hardly had any character.

Oh, and don't get me started on their fans...many of them took a coach bus to get there!!! How disgusting is that? Actually, I'll make their fans a separate post.

15. DCDave

DCDave Member

RE: Man U. Fulha.

MIke, I heard the Fulham fans quite often on the broadcast. Good job!