Fulham @ Manchester United 3/19 - Pre/Post match comments

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, Mar 14, 2005.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, a trip north to Old Trafford this weekend for the Whites. What kind of a match are you expecting to see? Any changes in formations and tactics? Starting XI?

2. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

RE: Fulham @ Manchester United 3/19

i'm willing to bet Fulham pulls out another draw here. Man U has the title on the line which is big, but relegation is a far more motivating factor.

As far as tactics? Do I hear a 4-4-2 chant? I'm sure keeping the 5 in the middle is even more justified to Mr. Coleman for a team like this than it would be for a lesser team. The starting 11 is a mystery. I'm sure it will be:

Van Der Sar

bocanegra
    goma
    knight
    rosenior

malbranque
    jensen
    papa diop
    clark

Cole

Maybe a Radzinski and a Collins John sighting later on.... perhaps Volz....

I think the D played fine most of the match with the exception of the first 30 seconds... but a opposed to their last meeting I suppose Coleman has more weapons, lets hope it works out.

3. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Re: RE: Fulham @ Manchester United 3/19

I see you are learning my friend but you have a bit to learn...where's my boy?????

THE DEAD SNAKE??

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Fulham @ Manchester United 3/19

Smokin', I am impressed with your synopsis of this Saturday's game. I will take a draw! However, I am prediciting a win. I say 2-0 as I put in another thread.

My lineup is as follows:

Eddy
    Liam Goma Knight Boca
    Steed Papa Clarky Jensen Boa
    Cole

Unfortunately, I think it is almost certain Fulham will use the 4-5-1. This formation is actually good to play against the bigger clubs, but I would still like to see Cookie play the 4-4-2 Saturday. We need to have more attacking options.

Our attack has been the equivalent of a 3 speed bike with a flat tire.

5. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Look at me... I'm playing the 4 4 1...... BOA!!!

Tom? Is it the back tire or front?

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I would say it is flat in the front.

7. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

yeah, that sucks... a flat back tire is actually pretty fun :)

8. americanmike

Re: RE: Re: RE: Fulham @ Manchester United 3/19

Not in Mastic it ain't!!

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Good effort .. and made a game of it at the end.

Well, seems to be little enthusiasm for posting on here after the loss to the might ManUre. But i have some bright spots to comment on.

Ed is simply amazing... the game was all his today, tho it sort of hurts to think that he was really auditioning for SAF. Coverage for missed marks was apparently pretty good, as well

I posted elsewhere that the die has been cast for next season and nothing has changed my mind... but whether Cookie stays or goes, the boys today seemed to do what they could to get a result and if they play like that the remaining games, they will pull it out..

Props to 'ya, guys!

10. americanmike

RE: Good effort .. and made a game of it at the end.

I really am not as dissapointed as some over this match. I think that we played some piss poor football (boring as well) but we got better as time went on. Another consistent problem was we get to the outside of the box and CAN NOT get a shot on net. We miss the days of intricate, closed spaced passing that Tigana had brought to the club.

The last 10 minutes made the match all worthwhile for me...the whole pub was clapping for edwin when we saved that 'long ball'. We (mancs included) were laughing about it as well since thoughts of Roy Carroll came in to our minds.

We played to the level of our opposition once again, needless to say, the match vs. pompey is MASSIVE.

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Eddy played great today. It was unbelievable some of the saves he made.

Now getting to what some of the others have said, I agree and disagree. I will say this, the last ten minutes of the match, we looked like a solid, attacking team that wanted and needed a goal. Perhaps we were unlucky not to get a goal, but we were also lucky United did not score more than one.

This being said, it is unfortunate that it takes until the last 10 minutes for us to get out of the conservative, sit back and defend mode. There is no reason for us to sit in a 4-5-1 trailing with 20 minutes to go in the match. I disagreed with Cookie's subs, or moreso, his lack of subs. McBride and John could have potentially been effective. Unfortunately, this is something myself and other Fulham fans say after every match.

Something needs to change in the team soon. We did not play horribly, but we have not scored a league goal in 345 minutes. That my friends is not good.

We have Pompey coming to the Cottage on April 3rd. It is a must win for us. A draw is not good enough. Pompey is struggling and are one point clear of us. If we do not go out and put together a nice performance, it will be a disappointment. Forutnately, Fulham has played decent this season with their backs against the wall. I just really hope they come to play that day.

Lastly, it was sad to see Papa Bouba Diop go down with what looked like a hammy injury. I have not heard the extent of the injury, but those things usuall;y take some time to heal. We are gonna need him during a busy April.

12. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Post match comment: ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz opps sorry, don't wake me up unless we have a legitimate shot on goal that requires the opposition goalkeeper to save it.