Fulham @ Hamburg -- The semis!!

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveM19, Apr 17, 2010.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Good stuff Timmy. Glad to hear that while Hamburg will be clearly motivated that they aren't all on the same page.

2. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

No chat room for me, I'll be at the pub again, minus my "chaperone". If anyone wants to link up via text during the match, pm me with your info before 12:30 cst.

Feeling more optimistic after Timmy's interview.

3. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

T - 10 minutes.......!!!!

4. morry32

morry32 New Member

are we really considering who we'd rather play in the final?

Liverpool or Madrid?

someone pinch me

5. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Take em both on, were on FIRE!!!

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Workmanlike effort and as jreid said in the chat "it's all to play for at the Cottage now". Aside from Baird (who had 2 bad gaffes) I thought everyone was very solid and lively. Etuhu (please note the praise HD) was large and played the best match I've seen from him.

Good News: Clint despite the layoff(s) was very sharp. The interplay w/Gera led to the best chance and only a great play by the defenseman kept the lads from getting that away goal. Aussie w/2 great stops in that one stretch in the second where the Burgers had the momentum.

Bad News: Bobby having to come off limping early. Surely, he won't make the trip to Goodisen, and now it's a race to get him ready for next week. Baird picks up a yellow and will miss the next leg. Petric who was questionable for them played the final 15 and looks real dangerous.

** If someone had given you the scenario where a one goal win at HOME would be what the team needed to advance to the Final, would you take it?? For me the answer is a big resounding...

HELL YES!!!!!

7. jmh

jmh New Member

Workmanlike is the right way to put it. No complaints here. The task is simple: win at the Cottage.

8. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I thought Hamburg were the better side, but thankfully we got out of there without giving one up. This should make for a great game at the cottage and I'm feeling pretty good about it.

I thought dempsey looked really good given his injuries.

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Not bad, but I thought we really needed an away goal. I very much doubt we hold Hamburg scoreless for 180 minutes so we better prepare to score more than one goal next week. With Petric healthy, they are an extremely dangerous team.

10. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I was hoping for an away goal but I can think of worse things than needing a win at the Cottage to advance to the FINALS!

11. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Once I saw Woy (hallowed be thy name) had them playing like an Italian side, I wasnt really expecting a goal. It would've been icing.

Agree with comments about Dempsey - was very pleased that he looked sharp. Cant wait 'til the second leg at the Cottage. OMG that is going to be one fantastic sight.

12. AmericanBob

AmericanBob New Member

re: UEFA Semi-Final Match

Petty fog,
    Totally enjoyed the match, an away goal would have made it a most memorable match but on the otherhand... the burgers were quite successful at getting inside our defenses but crossing the ball and shooting were not Hamburgs strong points, thank goodness they couldn't find the net. I was waiting for our offense to make a move and the several offside calls against us were just, its unfortunate that Bobby didnt have any immediate support on these forays.
    I will be waiting anxiously for the match at home and a victory would be most excellent but a well played match is always welcome as I can't be there to put the ball in the net myself I will have to depend on our professionals at the Cottage to get the job done right-COYW !!!

13. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I'm not too worried about Hamburg scoring to be honest. They were better in the midfield, but could never deliver that final ball to get good shots on net. Their shooting from midfield was poor. This was at their place, without the travel concerns from the ash, with the momentum of hosting the final. And they threw it all forward at us a couple of times, to absolutely no avail. They couldn't even threaten against our biggest achilles heel, the set piece/corner. And they're going to score at the Cottage? I'm doubtful.

This was less about them executing and more about H&H building a fortress in the box. We might be a little exposed on the right w/o Baird, but he struggled with their pace. Davies may be the better fit in this matchup. If it's Kelly, I'll be concerned.

Going forward, who knows. We played for the counter and only threw our offense at them a couple of times. I thought we were more dangerous after Bob came off. We got in the lazy habit of hoofing it up to him to win but had no one forward for the layoff more often than not. Once Dempsey came on, we played it on the deck and the midfield got more involved. As a result, we were more dangerous. I fully expect us to attack more at home.

An away goal would have been nice, but I can easily see 1-0 Fulham at the Cottage. I'd rather see 2 goals though, just in case. Either way, I like our chances to return to Deutschland.

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

i thought it was interesting how Hamburger wanted to draw us out of our shape for soooooooooo long -- wow, another sideways pass in the midfield. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. We did what we set out to do. I wanted an away goal, and we never seriously threatened, but I'll still take out chances for a W at the Cottage.
    FSC said that they took the bus that they drove to Hamburg and parked it uin front of the net -- I thought that was a little cheap. Hamburg just couldn't break us down -- what are awe going to do, invite them into the penalty area and leave a man open just to be good guests?

Baird was shown to be a little slow, but the defense lhad a great day, Schwarzer is MOTM. Guerrero for Hamburg looked a nice player too, he had some nice moments playing support striker to RVN.

Nervous about Zamora, because he ain 't playing at Everton. I think he'll be good for next week -- he has heart.