Fulham @ Everton

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by timmyg, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

10 million pounds was it? I'll happily take it.

2. psand22

psand22 Member

As poorly as we played, we still should of stole a point. The defense played well enough and The big Aussie was only beaten by Smalling's unlucky OG and a PK. I'm pretty gutted to be 30 seconds from a (1-1) draw on the road and have it taken a away at the death.

3. RDG

RDG Member

Normally, I would be extremely upset.

Then, I realize: 1-) I never expected to get anything out from this match. I am almost surprised that my name was not in the starting lineup (not that I was ever any good, just figured Woy would stick in someone whose injury would not hurt the team) and 2-) I will be at the Cottage Thursday night anyway. :banana:

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Didn't Everton beat us last year 1-0 on a last minute winner?

Mehh, sucks on principle. But put into context it will be quickly forgotten.

Like Hull a few weeks back.

5. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Geeze you lot have seriously dropped the ball. I cannot believe nobody has mentioned that Fredrik Stoor played in this match. A Stoor sighting on the bench sums up the level of importance this match held for Sir Roy but for good old Freddy to actually set foot on the pitch screams that we should have skipped talking about this match altogether and should have started the Hamburg at the Cottage thread in ernest instead.

I watched the first two-thirds of the match from my hotel room in St. Louis and the final third from my couch. In both states I thought Fulham had chances to score goals and concede goals but I was not bothered much in either case because in the history of Fulham this match was a date with that forgettable ex whose name you really don't remember and the match with Hamburg is a chance with the girl of your dreams.

6. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

After the mid week match I was not expecting any points, but to loose like that at the end.....

7. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Wow, Barry P. Spot on both points.

Although, if you read my blog, you'll see that I wrote about Stoor. And along with someone else, a player that forms the other half of a footballing purgatory term I invented.

That's right. ANDRANIK made the bench today.

8. Clevelandmo

Great to know you will be there! I know you will enjoy every bit of it. Post some pics! COYWs bury those hamburgers.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sigh.

1. Baird didn't suck. He played an excellent overall game, with about a half-dozen solid clearances and interceptions.

2. Unless you believe that Roy and Ferguson are absolute idiots, then you probably shouldn't be talking about how much each of them got fooled by a crap player.

3. Okaka had a very good match today under the circumstances. His flick to Dempsey alone convinced me that he's one to keep. We weren't exactly playing against Hulls CBs today.

4. The o.g. was, indeed unlucky, and the penalty should never have been -- since the throw-in that led to it should have gone to us.

FulhamAg's post at the top of this page proved to be exactly correct. Once we got over the first half hour, we created several chances. We played very well today against a better team, and we did it because our players -- Riise apart -- know how to execute Roy's plans. I thought this was one of the very best away matches we've played this year. Shame about the ref's screw-up at the end.

I was very impressed with Chicago today. Best I've seen him. And I was pleased that Dempsey acted like a grown-ass man in the penalty area again and didn't flop about begging for a penalty.

10. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

My blood was boiling a bit when I read the match reaction here and was about to set everyone straight. Then I read HatterDon's thoughts. THANK YOU FOR HAVING SOME COMMON SENSE.

No real need for me to go off now. We played well today considering who we had on the pitch. I was left feeling very proud. Not sure what game you guys watched.

11. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Throw in Briggs and Buchtmann on the bench and the write up has a reserve team feel to it doesn't it.

I'll try and catch on the blog reading about mid-June after our family tour of the regions soccer fields comes to an end until next fall. Perhaps I'll start my own blog ranking soccer fields I've visited this spring.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

go for it. I'll sign up as a subscriber.

13. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I disagree on Baird. He had fault in both goals allowed. On the own goal he was spectating in the box and not marking anyone, much less the guy next to him who headed toward goal. Maybe that's Smalling's man, but if Baird goes for the ball, he probably breaks that up. His role in the penalty was obvious. Greening was crap too.

Otherwise I wasn't disappointed with the effort all things considered. Schwarzer was solid. It was good to see JP back. And Clint and Okaka continue to show flashes of brilliance that lead me to believe with more time together, we could have something special there (provided they finish those chances).

Ironically, while some will say we didn't deserve the point, we in fact had that point until the ref bungled two calls. The ball out of play was off an Everton player (Saha, I believe). Then on the long throw, Distin oversteps the line by a foot. I realize they don't call it that often, but he went well over it. The penalty on Baird was just, but with just one correct call by the ref, he's never in that situation.

Can't wait for Thursday.

14. jmh

jmh New Member

You what? You lucky bastard!

15. Clevelandmo

Oh the drama with the sigh.

I dont think Woy was fooled, he did another very shrewd piece of business, as usual, and I was applauding that in my post. Smalling is a big athletic guy, and he's had some good moments, but he's not who I want in back for Fulham any time soon. Fact is, Roy thought the 10 million was worth more than convincing Smalling to stay. He's a young guy, I bet Roy could've done it if he wanted to.

I only follow Manure when forced to, but from what I've seen, the red-nosed, gum gnashing Fergie probably is an idiot. I'm sure he's wasted money before.

And one final point, I seem to remember a young American named Josy Altidore totally schooling Smalling, oh but I forgot, you think Josy is a total idiot.