Fulham Depression

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by FFCinPCB, Jan 14, 2008.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

If you have not read ChicagoTom's most recent editorial comments, do so. One of his best to date, and I will be perplexed if ESPN Soccernet does not pick this one up.

We are in the midst of a possible tectonic shift in Fulham Football Club's future, and the uneasiness has created all kinds of emotions, many of which Tom touches on.

From this reader's stand point, well done.

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

A fine read it is, nice job, Tom.

Too bad such a piece had to be written.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It is a great article, and I know it ripped Tom up to read it. Long time members here will know that it's usually Tom's role to expect the worst, and we kid him from time to time about it. This year was the first that Tom expressed confindence in our staying up. It's sad that this confidence was sapped so easily.

But, by all means, check out the article. Let's hope the boyz put some spring into ChiTom's step again.

4. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Tom you are not the only one who feels that way. I think most of us have "Fulham Depression" right now. Here's to hoping your article at season's end is entitled "The Miracle Man" regarding RH and the magic he worked in keeping us up.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Thanks for the kind words about the article. The reason for my writing was to let others know exactly how I felt about the team right now and where we are headed. It is sad to think about this season and how it has played out thus far. I hope the team can re-energize the supporters with some positive performances starting today in the FA Cup.

6. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I plan on riding this ride until it stops. McBride brought me to Fulham, and after he and every other American is long gone, I will still be cheering them on from wherever I am. Whether it be America or Afghanistan.

On the upside, I don't mind listening to the games on the radio. Quite enjoy it actually. :p

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Well, I've had enough of feeling bad. It's time to look on the bright side. Fulham just doesnt have the resources to compete in the EPL year after year without danger of relegation. We all new that. Sanchez seems to have terribly weakened this team, but what if McBride hadnt been injured and Healy had been given credit for the 'Boro goal. Maybe FFC would have continued to play well and we wouldnt be at the bottom right now. But those things did happen and we are at the bottom because we dont have the resources for a deep enough team to weather that type of adversity. Do we really want a team that just wins because it has the money to buy the best players. No, because then McBride, Dempsey & Keller, deserving players that I admire, wouldnt be playing for Fulham. The same is probably true for many of the other Fulham players that I love to watch.

I am thankful that I got to see Dempsey score the goal that avoided relegation last year. I'm thankful that the three Americans on Fulham (not counting Keller) had the chance to compete at such a high level, and I'm thankful for the time Fulham has had and still has in the Premiership.

We still have a chance. And we still have the hope of seeing McBride return. Even if Fulham is relegated, we will hopefully get to see McBride play again, score again. I personally cant wait and my kids cant wait either. I also cant wait to see Bullard play at his best. Maybe the season will have a Cinderella ending - the poor kids will make good, but maybe it wont. However I think this team has fought hard and will continue to do so. That's what matters.

I'm going to stop worrying about relegation and enjoy the rest of the season. There are still a lot of games left and they'll undoubtedly contain many great moments. No more disappointment for me because as an American Fulham fan, I will always be grateful to Fulham.

8. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Well said mo...and the contracts that the Americans, and most of the other current starting XI, aren't so rediculous that Fulham won't be able to maintain a competitive side in the Championship if they were to get relegated.

I think the saddest thing for myself and other Americans living in the states is that we will only be able to see a handful of games next year if Fulham were to be relegated. We don't get to see many games as it is, and if they are relegated we will be lucky to see three or four throughout the year on Setanta, and maybe an occasional cup tie.

So to me I am not sad and depressed with the team, their effort the past few contests has been great and I think with the new signings (hopefully there are some) and the return of others from injury that effort will only improve. Instead I am depressed that I will be losing access to my favorite club and players. That very real possibility is very disturbing. I can't imagine not being able to watch the Cubs or the Bears. I am used to not seeing the Hawks due to blackouts but even they are televised more now which has revitalized hockey in this great city of Chicago.

This said, I think the rest of the season will be great for Fulham and its fans as we battle our way out of relegation under RH and hopefully back into respectability heading into the summer when we can rebuild and regroup for our 2008-2009 Premier League campaign.

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Get a grip Tom. You are not Britney Spears. :)

10. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7678906

Hopefull the news of McBride's return to training will raise the spirits of Fulham supporters. The physio staff believe McBride will be fit for the Reserves match against Reading on Jan. 22nd.

Can't wait to have him back in the first team.

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Some of you might have noticed that I've been in the funk for quite a while. {following the Crew didnt help it}
    Nothing lately has altered that, and certainly EJ coming in wont.

But I like to think that perhaps this is the setup for a great story of comeback and redemption.

I'm thinking MAYBE in late Feb or March when McBride gets up to speed.