Fulham @ Burnley

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by timmyg, Dec 8, 2009.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Damn, this league can be frustrating. We outplayed them from goal line to goal line, made one mistake. Even a middle of the pack team at best can burn you. Damn.

Duff was a beast, Zamora too. On their side, I was less impressed with Alexander than I thought I would be. Everything I read about them had him as the driving force of their D and I thought he looked a lot like what he was -- a 38 year old mediocre player. And Chris Eagles looks like a stunt double for the Jonas Brothers.

2. jmh

jmh New Member

And even with the mistake, it still took a pretty nice volley to put the chance away.

Still, I thought we had a letdown (or at least, stopped attacking) after Zamora's goal and I don't think the equalizer was undeserved.

Here's hoping Roy was just keeping Murphy fresh for Thursday. Massive match, that.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The thing is ... the equalizing goal was brilliantly taken. It was like Asshole's for Arsenal @ the Cottage earlier this season -- so good all you could do is tip your hat.

We looked fine in the first half yesterday. Duff had both the best left foot AND the best right foot on display. Zamora was brilliant. Took our foot off the gas after the equalizer and there you are.

It's been a strange weekend -- the only team to win at home was Birmingham Friggin' City. Arsenal pick up two points on The Scum, and Three points on United, Liverpool, and Spurs.

Strange days, indeed.

4. BarryP

BarryP New Member

It was a strange old weekend looking at the results. Too bad Fulham didn't break their streak at Burnley.

5. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

We deserved 3 points, but if you had offered me a point before the match I would've taken it, given Burnley's home record.

Eagles is a decent player - I don't see him staying at Burnley.

Pretty good weekend for American keepers.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Was out of town and didn't see the result/report until last night. How come every time we all say we'll take the draw, the lads outplay the opponent and a point seems like 2 shy of what was deserved??

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Funniest quote of the broadcast was to the lean and mean Brian Jensen. One of the announcers said, "They wanted to build a statue of him outside Turf Moor, but they could not find enough granite."

BTW Audrey is back, with a most respectful nod to Muhammad Ali.

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Sorry Don, home email isn't the best way to reach me. Besides, was sick as a dog all w/e.

As for the match, Duff was man of the match in my book. Bob deserved a purple heart or something for the pounding he had to endure from Caldwell. Caldwell's a lucky boy to have not picked up a yellow or two for that performance. I'd have liked to have seen Murphy as well. We're definitely missing something in the middle with Greening and Baird. They're not playing poorly, just don't provide that control that Danny brings. Nevland looked better with BZ but still not good enough.

Like most, agree we should have won the match but given Burnley's home form going in, I can live with the point. The magic looks to have worn off for Burnley. They looked like a newly promoted CCC side Saturday.

9. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Quote of the week:
    Hodgson added: "It was a difficult place to come and if I'd been offered a point before the game I would have been tempted."

I love that guy!

10. jmh

jmh New Member

To their credit, though, they don't uglify the sport like Hull or Stoke or Blackburn or Bolton.

11. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Agreed. They played football, which is part of the reason we did so well against them (unlike how we do at times against the Boltons and Stokes of the world).

12. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

This is also a reason I would rather Burnley stay up rather than Bolton of Wolves -- can't stand either. And how do their managers still have jobs -- who are they blackmailing.