Fulham-Brentford Derby

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SoCalJoe, Mar 11, 2020.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Friday (espn+) showdown w/our neighbors. They’ve been explosive, but not impervious to some bad losses. Perfect time to put some space between us and the pack trailing and some footsteps in the ears of the two clubs up top. However, it’s going to take a huge effort from the team and the supporters.

encorespanish and MicahMan like this.
  2. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham really needs to make a positive showing in this matchup after a pretty disappointing display against Brentford in December (Bristol City and Brentford were the bookends on Fulham's three game skid). Brentford won 1-0, but it should have been an even worse defeat for Fulham. It was a classic poor performance this season for Fulham. There were a couple of instances where Fulham lost the ball playing up from the back. Fulham also had most of the possession but did very little with it. Brentford had three shots bounce off the post and had 7 shots on target (the three off the post not included in that) to Fulham's 2.

Prior to their 5-0 shellacking of Huddersfield on Saturday, Brentford hadn't won in five matches with 4 draws and a loss (to Luton!). Despite that dip in form Brentford still come to Craven Cottage with the top scoring offense (thanks to the previously mentioned 5 goals last week) and the second fewest goals allowed. On the plus side for Fulham, no team has earned more points at home in the Championship. As Joe said Fulham needs the team and the home fans to put in a good performance in this game to get three points. As of now, fans will still be allowed at the match although I still wouldn't be surprised if things end up being played in front of empty stands.

encorespanish and SoCalJoe like this.
  3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

There well may be more at stake than usual in this derby (if it’s played). With the Coronavirus pandemic causing havoc with life as we know it almost everywhere else, there’s more than a fair chance that this could be our last fixture this season. And if that happens, it’s also likely that whoever finishes third will also be automatically promoted. It is imperative that we stay at least third for however much longer we end up playing. I’m sure everyone at the club realizes this and is preparing accordingly.

4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

MicahMan likes this.
  6. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If this actually is the end of the season, we're in 3rd 4 points above Brentford. We could be up and just not know it.

8. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there is a precedence for this happening?

9. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I need to research more, but I don't think there's any English precedence for leagues being suspended so late into the season. Play was abandoned in September 1939 and mini regional leagues were set up. League was cancelled in 1915 before the 15-16 season started. I'm sure there's an example on the continent of this happening.

I'm honestly stunned there's nothing in the EPL or EFL bylaws about this type of "act of god" scenario when >75% of the season has been completed. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, but, still.

encorespanish and astroevan like this.
  10. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

People rarely plan for the unthinkable. Death and the every day we think about. War, natural disasters and other such calamities are not in most planning guides.

HatterDon likes this.