Fulham-Bolton Postgame thoughts

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, Feb 19, 2005.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, we crashed out against Bolton this morning 1-0. We played quite well in the second half and quite possibly deserved a draw, but it was not to be.

Why is it that we have to have our backs against the wall before we start playing with a sense or urgency and pride? We always come out flat and just expect a late second half goal. That is not the way to go about doing things.

To me, that comes down to coaching. Coleman and Kean need to have the players geared up, focused and ready to play right from the first minute. This Fulham team just seems to start playing in the second half.

While we did lose, the second half did have some nice things for Fulham. It is disappointing to crash out, but now we can concentrate on the league. I just hope this does not break any confidence in the squad.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well, for some teams, starting out each match poorly might be a sign of overconfidence, but is that valid for Fulham?

I dont think so, more likely they start out with low expectations and Cookie has to point out -each time- how they would be doing better if they just stepped it up a little.

3. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

RE: Re: Fulham-Bolton Postgame thoughts

We were pathetic. We offered little in the firsthalf, showed a little more effort in the second but no tactics at all. I love Cookie but if he continues with 5-4-1 with this squad then I will be forced to jump on the Cookie out bandwagon. However, I will wait until the summer before I do. (Wow, it really hurts to write that).

4. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

RE: Re: Fulham-Bolton Postgame thoughts

PS...apparently I'm not a 'bloody junior' anymore.

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Re: RE: Re: Fulham-Bolton Postgame thoughts

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

OK, SO THE FIRST HALF WE WERE CRAP AND THAT IS INEXCUSABLE... that goal was the fault of gomas but all in all, he had a very solid game.

I wonder if we will have a game where we actually put a team away, maybe 2-0 or 3-0. Because we have yet to do that and we are due!!!! Anyway, I've said my piece....

6. AGreen16

AGreen16 Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: Fulham-Bolton Postgame thoughts

Forsome reason it seems to that we never show uo in the first half of or at the very least the the first 20 min of the first half. We can notcontinualy do that and expect to win. Claus has dome weel in the last two matches when he came on. I think he should start the next match. I think that we should also give either McBride or JOhn the chance to start because to me Cole doesn't seem to be producing. MOst of our goals in the last few games seem to be coming from the midfield and defenders that are moving up on the play.

7. cottager32

cottager32 New Member

There clearly seems to be some kind of motivation problem with Fulham. I wonder if it isn't the simple fact that they're not distressed with where they find themselves. They feel confident about not being relegated (perhaps unwisely so) and yet you get a strong sense from their comments that they're also unlikely to move up the table. They seem to have little to play for. Admittedly, this was a Cup match which should've provided a different motivation, but for some reason didn't, until too late. It's frustrating knowing they're going to start each match flat and have to work their way out of a hole every second half.

8. RogerinIL

RogerinIL New Member

Sorry, but lack of motivation for a Cup tie just isn't acceptable for a team in the lower half of the league table. A good Cup run is the only good way to save something positive out of the season.

The team only really came alive when CC changed the mix by bringing in new players in the middle and upfront (Jensen, McBride,etc.). Until then the team struggled to put together any sustained possession or string passes together to create an attack. And the game could have been 2-0 Bolton with Knight's howler in the back.

Unfortunately, the changes were made too late. Another 10-15 minutes of pressure like Fulham sustained at the end would surely have provided an equalizer.

I'm afraid Fulham has gotten too used to losing and has forgotten all the things needed to do to win. CC needs to work hard to get the players out of that mindset. He needs to find players who will give him 100% effort every time they're on the pitch. He should sit those just going through the motions or unwilling to play as a team.

Players who definitely remain on the pitch include JVDS and diop. They at least try.