Fulham @ Bad Soap Opera FC

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveM19, May 9, 2009.

1. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I'm not one to give Newcastle much credit, but they did look motivated against Boro. If this were on the road, I might agree, but with the denizens of St James' pleading them forward, I think they'll come out fired up. Hopefully we can strike quick, quiet the crowd, and kill their spirit early.

2. sullytex

sullytex Member

Interesting you say they salvage a late point. The Times had a stat in todays paper showing points earned/lost in the final 30 minutes. Fulham are second from bottom with -5 points earned during that stretch of the game. Newcastle is +5. Man United is +16 as well as Liverpool.

Heck most of the time when we lose late....we lose real late (Remember the Hull and Blackburn home games :( ). There were a couple other 80+ minute late goals as well. Everton did it the first game of the season. What do you think, Fitness? Bad luck?

Odds are 3/1 to the boys in white at the bookies, 40/1 for Fulham to win 3 to 1. That might be worth putting a tenner on. Could pay for the season ticket. :D

Steve, you should bet the farm on 40/1!

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Lawro picks Newcastle, thus FFC win this weekend:

"I fancy Newcastle to win. I don't think that as a result of the win against Boro, but because they've started to improve as a unit - there's a hunger about them and willingness to chase lost causes. They've also begun to look a little bit better defensively. I know Fulham are chasing the Europa League but I think they'll come up short here.

Verdict: 2-1"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8039925.stm

Newcastle hungrier than Fulham? I don't think so, buddy.

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Newcastle hungrier than Fulham?

Honest to God, do some journalists even follow what they write about? Did he write this at the bar after downing three beers?

If nothing else, we'll blind this joker with our yellow duds tomorrow. :wow:

COYW!!!!

5. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

According to the BBC, AJ and Zamora will be back in the starting XI.

Some other interesting things of note: We've won 4 of the last 6 Prem matches against the Toon.

A win tomorrow would give us 2 doubles over them in 3 years.

And they are the most carded club while we are the least.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I just can't wait for the match to be over so that Steve delivers us from that avatar.

Matt, have a good time tomorrow in the pub. Hope it's not just you and that wee Irish Gooner.

7. TheOldBugger

TheOldBugger New Member

Still think this is a must win,if that Euorpea place is important to Uncle Woy,I wont be in the chat room for this one as I will be driving North to vist family but I'll be listening on the radio-if you want a "sign" the last time I went North to vist family we beat the Gooners lol

8. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

One of my sons has an 8:00 a.m. youth soccer game...which will be over by 9:15 or so. He and I plan to stop off at the Amsterdam Tavern for the second half of the Fulham game.

The last game I watched at the Amsterdam Tavern:
    Fulham 2
    Man Utd 0

StLouisBrad, will you be there by any chance?

9. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Amen to that.

And will do there, Tiny Tim. Have fun in the flower patch. Your last excursion coincided with a nice result, so perhaps you can play in a McBride Pipex? Just a thought.

10. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i am running...well...jog/walking in a 5k. I'm afraid I'll miss the first half, but will be racing the car home as fast as I can to try and catch the 2nd. 4-1 Fulham. :)

11. jmh

jmh New Member

Hmm. Can I get away with listening to GJ in one earphone while I'm at a continuing legal education program?

12. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Oh my, Fulham take another win away from home and our fans are still in the stands singing!

13. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

As noted on another board, here is what Fulham has achieved already.

* Highest position ever in the club's history (7th or 8th)
    * Most points in the top flight in a season (min 53)
    * Equal-highest number of wins in a premiership season (14)
    * FIRST EVER WINNING RECORD! (won more than we've lost in a league campaign)
    * If we concede fewer than 12 goals next week, our fewest goals conceded in the Premiership (32 at the moment, the last two seasons we conceded 60 each!)
    * Our second-highest away points total in the Premiership
    * Joint-fewest away defeats for a Premiership season

14. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

How sweet it is!!!!!!!!!

15. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

If it weren't for those damn Spurs, today would probably be a perfect day.

Predictable result that had me gasping at moments.

What a great job today, and make sure there's no let up next weekend. Hopefully, and conceivably, Moyes trots out a JV squad.

16. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Europe beckons a win or draw next week against the Toffees and a Europa place is sealed, cant really see Tottenham getting anything at Liverpool next sunday so It's as good as in the bag for me. I think we will beat Everton at home anyway so Tottenhams game wont matter.

Great win today against the Toon army, Roy you should be knighted not just manager of the year, you listening Liz, Knight the man and award him the keys to Hammersmith & Fulham.

COYW's

17. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

Great win. Hope next week's game airs on FSC or Setanta. I imagine one or the other will.

COME ON FULHAM!

18. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

You want to take that one back, pal?!?!

What a day! Kamara had so much time alone before the goal, I thought when he hit it, he skied it over the bar at first!

What a game by, well, everyone!! I don't remember anyone wearing blinding yellow that had a bad game. Maybe a fortunate one at times, but that was a great overall team effort. MOM could have gone to 5 or 6 guys.

Shearer whined that the ref took his lunch money after the game. (Scroll down to the end.) Hey, if your team wasn't crap, you wouldn't be in the pickle you are in. Howard Webb didn't kick a ball all game. Whiner.

Today was such a great day to be a Fulham supporter I'm not sure I could mentally process it. Best finish ever? Most points ever? Thisclose to Eurpoe? Away win at St James? Knocking the Toon back into the relegation places?

I was so excited around the 90th minute I was shaking -- every entry in the chat room had typos, sorry all. Schwarzer's injury time save almost gave me a conniption.

What a great effin' day!!

Thanks to everyone associated with the team, from MAF to Woy, to Lewington to the players to the staff to the supporters.

19. sullytex

sullytex Member

Listened to the game on the radio. New Castle fans pouring out of the stadium with 5 minutes left....that was pretty weak.

I like the Nevland Kamara partnership up front, a lot. The big Aussie, got to love that guy, came up huge a couple of times today. The Toon's fate is out of their hands. It didn't seem to be our best game, but who cares. Nice away victory.

I agree with Martin, the stars are aligned for us next week. Touch wood.

Need to start a thread to see if we can get a little FulhamUSA pre-game shin-dig at the Leon or the Cottage next week to celebrate the end of a beautiful season (and maybe after the game for a Europa spot, touch wood again). Who is going next week?

20. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

What a day. Mr May (trademark pending) scores again. Duece gets MOTM by Setanta, although after that last save you could have given it to the Aussie as well. And we almost wrapped up Europe to boot. Damn you Robbie Keane. Had to get thru some dodgy passing in the first half and a Toon surge early in the 2nd but otherwise, a good performance and great fun. I'm very pleased to see these players and this manager set the Fulham best mark.

How do you define hate? There were 8 guys at the pub for Fulham/Newcastle today. Myself for Fulham, an American Toon fan, Don's favorite wee Irish Arse fan, and FIVE Sunderland supporters (4 Brits). They were as giddy and talked as much shit as if they'd been ManU fans today.

Speaking of, what was with Setanta's coverage of the trophy presentation? In the pub, we were speculating that it was a "tv rights" issue. But Setanta kept the camera on the same crowd shot thru the whole thing, then went to interview Wenger. Didn't show the trophy or the team until Utd were dancing around the trophy at the end.