Fulham at Newcastle United

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jumpkutz, Dec 18, 2018.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Saturday begins the holiday fixture crunch that sees our heroes play 4 matches in 11 days. Newcastle have been inconsistent and, inexplicably, much better on the road than at home. That's the good news.
    The bad news? We're still a joke defensively. They've only won two more matches and have seven more points than we do, but have conceded 20...TWENTY fewer goals than we have. Salomon Rodon has had a couple of scoring streaks, and tallied the only goal in their win at Huddersfield Saturday. Martin Dubravka has been a solid netminder, and could have been their MOTM instead of Rondon last week. DeAndre Yedlin should be back after a red card against Wolves two games ago. Will Mitro be more motivated to prove the Toons made a mistake by not giving him a chance? Dunno, but it would be nice if he had a big match against them. We need to sort out the defense now. Whether we make any progress in that facet of the game or not will determine whether or not we can get back into the win column.

encorespanish and nevzter like this.
  2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

first of back-to-back wins for the mighty whites

... well, somebody's gotta be the positive guy on here :(

SoCalJoe and encorespanish like this.
  3. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

13 of the other 19 teams in the league have given up fewer goals than Fulham's goal differential (-26).

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Ouch!!!

Not going to lie, would gladly take a espnfc headline of: Newcastle and Fulham Play to Drab 0-0 Draw.

dtowndough likes this.
  5. jumpkutz

Agreed. I’d gladly settle for a clean sheet from our boys. If they just happened to score, too, well, wouldn’t that be something?
    Sess is still out and, considering his performance the last time we visited St. James, that hurts.

6. jumpkutz

7. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I'm thrilled we got the "No Clean Sheet" monkey off our backs. Sadly I can't join in the dancing banana festivities. The defensive shape seemed to be an improvement, but Newcastle looked poor on their own so I don't know if it was a good measure of progress. It felt like the defense was teetering on collapse the whole match, but maybe that's how the previous matches have conditioned me to think. On the offensive side Fulham was anemic. For most of the game Fulham couldn't get anything going because it was almost like 3 vs. 8 on the Newcastle half of the field since so many Fulham players were sitting back on defense. There was too little movement and not enough urgency on counter attacks - until Kamara came in. He pushed forward and made opportunities, but for the second week in a row he couldn't figure out how to finish. If Sessegnon was in that slot I think they win today. I'll take this as a step in the right direction, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Couple of confessions here. I knew I'd be away from my computer when the match was live and so would be watching it after the fact.

Confession 1: On Friday, I saw Liverpool beat Wolves by the same score they beat us and thought, for nearly all of the 90 minutes, "Gee, the Wolves are playing better than we have all season." Sigh.

Confession 2: Saturday evening after a gig, I got set in to watch the replay. Exhaustion set in and I walked away after 35 minutes. A few hours later I checked the final score and was pleased we got the clean sheet. The only thing that cheered me up fitba wise the entire weekend was the article from CCN I posted yesterday.

Two eminently winnable matches this week. We need all six, but I'll settle for four.