Fulham at Leeds

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Feb 22, 2016.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham plays at Leeds on Tuesday. Leeds has consistently hung out around 15th place all season. We drew 1-1 with them back in October after they were awarded a penalty for a hand-ball in the box. It was nearly saved by Lewis but still snuck in.

This is a winnable away match. So far in 2016 Leeds has only won one match (vs Bristol City) and had a total of 4 goals in the Championship. If we can score we can win.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

A lot depends on how tired Parker is. Although many don't like hearing this, he's the reason we play well when we do.

I want three points because we can move up a couple slots and -- possibly -- find ourselves 12 points clear of the relegation zone.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I hope AggieMatt wasn't drinking coffee when reading your Parker comment :rolleyes:

After last week, just hoping we put in a committed shift, but totally agree that there's points for the taking.

jumpkutz likes this.
  4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Like it or not, Parker is a key cog this season. Haven't checked them, but I feel reasonably certain the stats bear that out. At any rate, it seems like when he's in, we play better. One of their starting defenders, Guiseppe Bellusci, is out for too many yellow cards, so that should help us offensively. It's just hard to figure which Fulham defense will show up. Looks like we're 4-8-6 on the road in the league , but Loftus Road was the first W away since Oct. 31 at Bristol City. Yikes. There would be no shame in a draw, but I'm hoping for three points against a side 1 spot and two points above us in the table. We really just need a competitive away performance to get the Blackburn trip out of our heads. And I'm wondering how soon Marcus Bettinelli gets pencilled back into the lineup.

5. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

The same Scott Parker who has made just 11 appearances @ an average of 65 minutes/per? I doubt you'd find anything to prove it one way or another.

By most accounts, he's played well recently. He was solid in the one match I saw this month. But he doesn't appear to be able to play much more than an hour/match or more than once a week. Sounds about as inconsistent as we already are, so other than avoiding relegation (which I don't think is going to be an issue anyway), what's the point?

I'm just hoping we can string together consecutive strong showings and results.

encorespanish likes this.
  6. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

No Parker in the lineup, hopefully Baird can lead the way:
    Lonergan
    Fredericks, Madl, Burn, Amorebieta, Garbutt
    Baird, O'Hara, Cairney
    McCormack, Dembélé

7. SoCalJoe

Only saw the stats, Lovebite with a couple yellows so will be missing the upcoming Boro match...shocker :rolleyes:. A point on the road considering how we played last Tues. ain't too shabby.

8. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

About the type of result one would expect. Apparently we did play better than a week ago at Blackburn, but that's not saying much. Still, we were competitive, and that's progress. Except, of course, for our seemingly never ending loyalty to one Fernando Amorebieta. I truly do not understand it. His first name must be Spanish for "insane wreckless challenge," and his surname "red card waiting to happen." Why, Fulham, why?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  9. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

We look stronger in these highlights than we sounded listening to GJ. Yesterday I thought the draw was fair, but now I feel like we should have won. The shot by Cook was absolutely ridiculous. He could probably try that another 99 times and miss every one. Let's hope we get some wins without Fred Hickey in the lineup so he can go back to the bench when available again.

jumpkutz likes this.
  10. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

How many times can we lose points thanks to an opponent's wondergoal!? This is getting ridiculous.

We certainly looked like the stronger team in the highlights, although the match stats show a pretty even game. Looks like we had plenty of chances to win.

On the replay, it didn't look like Amore handled the ball on his second yellow. His arm was just in a really awkward position. Is there any kind of review process for that? He's been solid since he's been back and I'd hate to lose him to an unwarranted suspension.

11. SoCalJoe

CC, Joka said same thing about Lovebite's 2nd yellow, but added that 'we would appeal if we could, but the rule is you can't appeal two yellows'.