Fulham at Leeds United

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jumpkutz, Aug 15, 2016.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Another quick turnaround, which probably means Tunnicliffe for Parker at a minimum. Another interesting lineup coming from Slava, who probably will point out that he still needs players before the transfer window closes. Wouldn't expect to see 11 new faces this time. As for Leeds, they're 0 for 2 in the league and beat Fleetwood on penalties in the league cup. Lost to Birmingham City at home Saturday under new gaffer Garry Monk, the former Swansea boss. We SHOULD get at least a point out of this, probably all three. COYW!

nevzter and encorespanish like this.
  2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

"Nasty" Leeds will face a Fulham squad on the bounce; confidence is contagious.

COYW!!!

BarryWhite likes this.
  3. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I hate playing Leeds more than any other team. That stupid "We are Leeds" chant over and over again.

I think that Dr. Seuss came up with the Grinch after attending a Leeds match.

"For tomorrow I know
    Those Leeds dirty cheats
    Will wake frightfully surly
    They'll rush for their seats
    And then all the noise, noise, noise, noise, noise!!!
    If it's one thing I hate it's all the noise, noise, noise, noise!!!"

4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Starting lineup:

Button
    Odoi, Madl, Kalas, Sessegnon
    McDonald, Parker
    Cairney, Aluko, Ayite
    Smith

Bench: Joronen, Malone, Ream, Tunnicliffe, Christensen, Jozabed, Woodrow

I'm surprised, but excited, to see Sessegnon starting. I hope we get a chance to see Jozabed play too. COYW!!

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So we came close to being top of the league -- a couple of extratime minutes actually -- but we've still got 7 points from three matches -- 4 from two away matches. I would think we'd be happy with that. Who would have thought we'd win three of our first four matches, including two wins and a draw on the road and a home shut out of Newcastle?

Joka says our performance at Leeds was our best so far. Sounds good to me.

NEXT!!!!!!

BarryWhite, nevzter and jumpkutz like this.
  6. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Coach K likes this.
  7. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

The match highlights have been posted: http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/august/17/match-action-leeds

We really deserved to get three points from this. I loved the way we were pinging the ball around in the box and it is unfortunate that a couple of our opportunities weren't converted. Cairney's goal was a jaw dropper. Despite Smith scoring two for us already, it does seem like we'd be better suited for a different kind of striker. I just wish we could have maintained a little more possession at the end to run out the clock. But 7 points in three matches is really good. Only QPR could do better at this point.

8. jumpkutz

Some of the best final third passing I've seen from Fulham in a long, long time. Deserved all the points, but I'm very bullish on this team right now. If this had happened during the last 3 seasons I would have been depressed. Not with this bunch. As HD said, 7 points out the 1st 3 ain't too shabby. Onward!

9. jumpkutz

And, by comparison; 2013-14: 1-0-2
    2014-15: 0-0-3, 2015-16: 0-1-2.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's my question: Why did I have to turn the sound down on the highlights when I could barely hear GJ and friend live for the last two matches?

11. Coach K

Coach K Active Member

I agree with almost all of this. We've had two strong lessons in the Leeds Match as well as the EFl Cup vs. Leyton Orient and when all is said and done, we still got points from both our games. Its such a long season, the 2 points wont mean as much as getting back to the training ground and working on those mistakes.
    Regarding the strikers, I think its great to have a few different ways to score, with Matt Smith being a more direct threat in the air, talented quick players going forward in the midfield like Ayite and Aluko and finally a player like Cauley off the bench to come in and find a solution if the other options aren't working.
    7 points out of 9 is a fantastic start, Come On You Whites!!!!

12. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

Good result in a vacuum. Elland Road is a really difficult place to get points, even if Leeds haven't started the season that well. Obviously disappointing to concede late, especially given that we hit the woodwork two or three times.

I think the first three league games have showed that we have a really solid first XI. Now it's about filling in the gaps with solid squad players to give Joka options and depth in case of injury. I still would like to bring in a prolific striker. Smith has started off well, no doubt about it, but I worry about over-relying on him and am still not 100% sold on Cauley. If we could bring in a top striker and have Smith come off the bench for the last 20 minutes when we're chasing a game, I think that would be the optimal scenario.

13. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

And QPR loses today so we stay tied on points at the top with Brighton, Norwich, and Huddersfield with 7 points.