Fulham @ Arsenal

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Nov 6, 2012.

1. TJDallas

TJDallas New Member

Even with Ruiz's bad pass while trying to push to get that late winner he played a great game today. Our defense is very suspect. If the defense continues to play like this the rest of the season we will not finish in the top half of the table.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yes, both AggieMatt and I live in cities that border San Antonio. If you're ever down this way, give us a holler.

3. TJDallas

TJDallas New Member

Yeah for sure I go to Austin and New Braunfels once a year. Guess i'll need to start going a little more south. Unless the two of you enjoy floating the rivers?

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

[fox]9a3507bd-6a9a-4546-8435-d23b26f71317[/fox]

5. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Obviously a huge play by Schwarzer to save the point in a very exciting match, but what's happened to our defense? Now that we're scoring, a previous strength has become a glaring weakness.

Still, thankful for the point, wish we could've finally beaten these mf'ers there, but it's coming.

And where would we be if we still had Deuce and Dembele? A tragedy. (sigh).

DEE-FENSE! DEE-FENSE!

6. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Finally got to watch the match. I was down at Clemson (EDIT: Clemson University in Clemson, South Carolina) tailgating. I listened to the first 20 min on talksport. Once things were looking grim, I knew I had it taping so I tried to put on a happy face and start the tailgating right. When I saw the 3-3 score, I begged and pleaded only to have to offer beer bribes to have the guys switch over to ESPN2 to see the PK given. I slumped back into my chair. One of my buddies says "I bet he goes right". I simply replied not if he wants to score. Man, did I feel/look like a genius right then and there. I jumped up and screamed at the top of my lungs "YES!!!". Everyone in the group just chuckled, knowing my "illness" and I do believe I might have scared some of the older tailgaters to our right. They kept on looking over to see what I was looking at or if my friends had sedated that crazy man who was yelling during the last moments of ESPN College Game Day.

Richardson, I hate to be blunt, but for me had his best performance coming off. I hate to say that to one of "our" players, I really do, but his only bit of the ball prior to coming off was a terrible timed ball to Berbatov. On comes Kaca. Are we afraid to window shop him? Is that why Jol wants to keep him under the radar? Does Jol want to keep his chest puffed out because of the rash agent comments? After all, we know Jol won't take crap from agents/Clubs tapping up. Jol made the choice and Kaca came on. Note, you can print his name at the same price on a Fulham kit as Bryan or if you choose Ruiz. Go figure. Anyways, for the first part of his time on the pitch he really wasn't in the camera. He was sort of tracking back. Sort of moving forward, but wasn't really doing much till Berbatov started barking orders his way. He stepped up. He looked alert. He got into position and for all accounts made a long header perfectly placed and with great pace. I thought two words. Brian McBride.

No, Kaca isn't that type of player, nor I hope he ever is. He should be a strong winger with lightning runs into the box. A young Duff if you will. Which! Brings me to Dejagah. So far very impressed and certainly great cover on the right and hopefully earning his spot as Duff keeps on going forward.

Bryan Ruiz. What can I say? Barring that last horrific kick he was amazing. Makes me scared for the next round for the USMNT as he is flying high.

Yes, we have been ahead and in turned drawed WAAAAAY too much this year. BUT!!! I am still just tickled how far Fulham have come. Brede summed it up best with his comment that we are moving forward with so many more players and vigor that we are getting countered. We are also scoring more... and on the road no less. The future is bright. The future is Fulham in the top of the table. Come On You Whites!

7. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Berbatov and Ruiz are going to make it difficult to keep Fulham off the score sheet but the big white and black elephant in the room is can the defense pull things together enough to give some of these single pointers some company. Fun match to watch and I would have taken a point for this match before it started.

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Finally watched the second half (after knowing the result), and at least justice was served on the PK. Sacha is a yard away with his arm on his side, I can see why it was called, but not a snowballs chance in hell that was a 'true' handball. That said we did catch a huge break when Dowd upon realizing Sidwell was on a yellow didn't give him his second when he went to give him one. Hangs/Hughes gave up 2 of the goals by being totally flat footed and letting a slow roller past them for the setup, when they should of handled it. Happy with the point, but time to get all 3.

:clap: Thanks as always for the outstanding view HD

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Great match to watch but I always knew the equalizer was coming (one way or another) - VFST is solid as ever. Senderos needs to get a run out, just give either H or H a break to get their head straight.

COYW

10. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Was it me or was Phil Dowd trying to sell his call after he may have realized he should not have given it? How many times did they show him lifting his arm up? Five, six maybe? It was like he was trying to prove it to himself. Something tells me he was happy to see the Big Aussie make the save.

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Good call Jim, hadn't noticed that initially. I can see why it was given, but Dowd had to watch the replay later and know that it was really harsh.

12. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

By the book it was a pk in that his arm was bent I believe. Any ref is going to have to make it clear when any other given day that means 3 points. Tough call. Ear to ear grin it worked out for us.

13. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

By the book, the book being FIFA's Laws of the Game, it was not a foul in my opinion and therefore should not have been a penalty. Only deliberate handling of the ball which is fairly clearly defined is subject to a call. The issue that arises is the split second judgement required to apply the rule in a game that often moves at a frenetic pace.

14. RDG

RDG Member

Here's a thought: is Hughes a shadow of his former self? Yes, the announcers at the Arse match gave him high praise, but when he makes a mistake, it seems to be a doozy. I never thought ANYONE could out-muscle him, but at the Everton match, Fellaini clearly did. At the Arse match, he could have been a lot better. Is Senderos that bad in practice? I love the H&H twin towers, and never thought I'd be saying this, but maybe it's time (hell, I never thought I'd be saying that I LIKE Baird, so maybe that puts the world back into balance.)