FFC @ VW City

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Apr 5, 2010.

1. morry32

morry32 New Member

2. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Dawg, your prediction was close but it was even better than you hoped. A clean sheet for Schwartzer!

At about 3:15 central time, I couldn't take it anymore and I invented an errand that I had to run. I snuck out of the office and caught most of the second half at the Amsterdam Tavern. Lots of Liverpool fans...the sound was tuned to their game. But I got a table in the corner with a nice, big TV and a pint of Guinness and I thoroughly enjoyed my hour playing hooky.

Wow.

(edited for a spelling error)

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

well, it was nip and tuck ...

... for the first 13 seconds!

Which chump is next?

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

That would be back to Deutschland and home of the tasty charred animal flesh between two enriched and fattening pieces of doughy deliciousness.

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Good stuff. Zamora continues to amaze and I bet even Martin is planning on buying a Zamora Jersey after this season. Capello would be a top of the line idiot to not take him to South Africa.

6. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

7. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

20 seconds!!! Unreal. I kept waiting for the Wolfsburg pressure but we were the better, more disciplined team. We looked more likely to increase the lead than they did to equalize.

So bigger cinderella final 4 run....Butler or Fulham?

Oh, almost forgot. Don and I are watching the match and this guy comes in and asks to change the tv to the Masters. The bartender tells him no, Fulham are on. Not too many places in these United States where you'll hear that.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

If I may borrow the words of the great Jack Buck:

"Go crazy, folks! Go crazy!"

9. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Just checked the score, because I had to play golf today... :wink:

HOLY SCHNICKY!!!

If I am dreaming, please don't wake me!!! :big grin: :big grin: :big grin:

WAIT, let me get this right:

Manure - OUT!
    Scum - OUT!
    Arsenal - OUT!
    Pool - Lucky...
    Poor Little Fulham - NEXT ROUND, BABY!!

Who's for BBQ'd Burgers??!!

10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

How'd you shoot at Augusta today, MK?

11. BarryP

BarryP New Member

WOW! WOW! WOW!

I had barely settled onto the couch when Zamora put the Wolfsburg defender in his back pocket and the ball in the net. I spent the rest of the match on the edge of my couch waiting for Wolfsburg to even the match as Fulham failed to capitalize on what seemed like a bushel basket full of chances throughout the match. Fortunately for Fulham the big Aussie was stellar in goal and managed to catch, punch or push away every shoe that the VW'ers threw at him except for the one that Hangeland managed to clear out of the goal mouth. What a match!

Here is my take on the players performances.

Schwarzer - He was seriously tested on several occasions and delivered a stellar performance.

Barid - An 8 for his play on defense and a 2 for his play going forward. That offensive number is the average of -3 for his shooting ability and a 5 for the rest of his offensive play.

Hughes - He is the glue that holds the back four together. PK may get forward with abandon and Hangeland is a monster in the air but I am convinced that Hughes is the man that allows them to do so by being the man that covers everybody's back so superbly. The cross he cut out for a corner at the end of the first half had TROUBLE written all over it.

Hangeland - A good match. He handled the aerial threats nicely and played the ball out of the back fairly nicely.

PK - An overall solid match from PK. No PK moments but nothing really outstanding either.

Duff - I think my evaluation of Duff's play in this match will suffer from my expectation of how Duff should play. He certainly did not have a poor match but I have come to expect so much from the talented left footer that I am having a hard time saying he played very well. I am going to cop out a bit on Duff's performance by saying he played fairly well but lacked the moments of brilliance I have come to expect from him.

Murphy - What a mixed bag from the captain. He spent the day pulling the strings in the middle of the pitch but for a large portion of the match it looked like the strings he was pulling were not attached to anything on the other end. Early in the match he had a few careless giveaways that were lucky not to cost Fulham in terms of chances on goal. Quite often he was picking the right pass but putting the wrong weight on the ball. I lost track of the number of good opportunities that went lacking for the want of a better Murphy pass but he also seemed to be very unlucky not to come away with a goal and a a couple of assists on the night.

Etuhu - A very Ethuish performance. He was disruptive in midfield. Most of the time he was disrupting xxxburg but he occasionally managed to disrupt the Fulham offense too. Most of the time he was efficient in possession but sometimes he can make the simple play go off into very odd tangents.

Davies - Another mixed bag performance. For the most part his high motor play was productive but he wasted a few good chances and squandered possession on more occasions than I would expect from Simon.

Gera - High energy performance and connected well with Zamora. A very good performance and a Key Fulham contributor.

Zamora - Easily the best player for Fulham not wearing goalie gloves. His goal was superb and he was dangerous in possession creating multiple chances for others. My only complaint about Zamora's play was he did not touch the ball often enough. Toward the final third of the match when xxxburg's back line were playing high I was almost as frustrated as Zamora that nobody was chipping the ball over the top to him. The one time Murphy did try to do so Zamora's first touch let him down but it created an opportunity that Fulham should have tried to exploit more often.

(edited one time because Mo won't let me get away with saying we already have Hamburg beaten)

12. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Barry, we did beat wolfsburg vw today but we have yet to play hamburgermeister yet. I do approve of your fortune telling though. Let's hope it happens with the hamburgers

13. BarryP

BarryP New Member

The first paragraph says Wolfsburg. After that I am just trying to help the lads get into Hamburg's collective heads. :oops: You believe that don't you?

14. general125

general125 New Member

For some reason my DVR didn't record the game, but I caught the highlights show. What an amazing game, great chances, great saves, a good pace.

Too bad Hamburg won't get to play in the final at their place....Fulham's wild ride is coming through!!!!

15. LaxAttack

Random factoid about the future. If we are able to get by Hamburg in the semifinals, the final is also being played at Hamburg's home stadium.

16. sullytex

sullytex Member

Listened to most of the first half via radio and caught the second live on the tele. Definitely a deserved, historic victory.

17. LaxAttack

Some random pictures from today, but first a random picture I liked of the River Thames with the Cottage in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Wow, what a great game. I just rewatched the Zamora goal again this morning. Just amazing!

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

20. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

So, I asked the guy to turn on channel 641 for the game, and almost missed the goal before I realized it was channel 463 to watch the game. This was a problem, as we got it straight just as the ball was kicked off, and I didn't make the connection that we were not the team in white, I saw Bobby break dance the ball to the net, and initially thought S*&^, we gave up a goal already!! I'm telling you, the mind is the first thing to go.

MOTM -- too many to name. Gera was a pain in their defenses ass all day. Zamora, what more can I say, he has been a beast. For a long time, on the back line, I thought Baird was the top dawg of a very good bunch, but the more I thought about it, Hughes did the unsung hero role so well that he became a sung hero yesterday. Etuhu had a very good game as a midfield destroyer, Hangeland was a force too, along with Konchesky. I guess that takes care of all our defenders! But I honestly thought all of them had excellent games. Did you see Baird get pissed off in the first half when, I think it was Dzeko, tried some little nutmeg maneuver, let the ball get too far from him, and Baird got the ball nd knocked the man on his green ass? I rather enjoyed that.

I was a wreck all game -- BZ's goal did nothing to settle my nerves.