FFC v. Liverpool [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveM19, Mar 24, 2009.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Sure, it's early, but I'm still buzzed over taking a scalp off Man Yoo and I'm thinking about the next big four team to grace our humble cottage. Trying to guess who will play for Liverpool is too brave a task for me, but it will be a clash between two teams with a lot of momentum, neither afraid of the other guy. I expect Murphy will come out with guns blazing, as much as he will do in his over 30, professional fashion, and a solid game from everyone else.

No prediction yet, it's too early.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It might be a good idea to wait until the internationals are over, to determine who might be unfit or tired.

Best news? Non-selectees Etuhu, Murphy, Barnes, Kamara, and Dacourt have the better part of two weeks to ease their knocks and get their fitness back.

I'll see you about this on Thursday morning of next week, Steve.

3. Flamingcokecans

Flamingcokecans New Member

RE: Fulham v. Liverpool

I am still jacked about the Man U win as well.....

That said, I am a realist about this game. I say Liverpool takes all three points as they are feeling the pressure to climb to the top with only 8 games left.

Liverpool 2 - Fulham 1
    Torres Johnson
    Gerrard

4. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

I always enjoy playing Liverpool. My brother in law is a big Liverpool fan (living in South Africa). We were going back and forth the other day discussing which win was more impressive, Liverpool's 4-1 thrashing or Fulham's 2-0 win over Man U. I still say given the situation & club involved, our win was more impressive.

I'll probably focus on this one at some point next week. For now, its all about the USMNT & Chicago Fire.

5. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

OK so who fancy's the TRIPLE CROWN?

Bolton away
    Manure at Home
    Liver poo?

I do for one, and if I had asked a bookie what are the odds before the Bolton game I think I could be a part owner in Vegas by April 5th

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

The international break could not have come at a better time for Murphy. Hopefully with the extra time to rehap his ankle he will be fully fit for this match.

7. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

I'm with Rich over at CravenCottageNewsRound in hoping that Dempsey gets a break this week. Obviously I want what's best for the USMNT, but I'd like to think we could handle El Salvador and T&T at home without him and a well rested Deuce could be huge against the Scousers.

8. TheOldBugger

TheOldBugger New Member

Win would be stunning,but I think we will get a point off them
    they will keep their shape and temper(unlike Man u),but I do think we will score-just a feeling,but hey Fulhamish might strike again and really open up the title race!

9. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I'm with you OB, I do think we can nick a point but I can also see us winning at home again. Liverpool is hot, needs the win, but we are confident as well and may play a bit more aggressive offensively so we could get one early and then.......who knows?

10. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

OK, it's been a week, let's talk FFC v. Pool again.

Any word on Murphy and his ankle?

Both teams with a lot to play for -- if LFC wins, they are above Man Yoo for at least 24 hours, until Pride and Poise FC takes on Villa Sunday. Of course, Man U owns Villa like the American Taxpayer owns AIG, and Villa's on the skids now.

I see at least a point for the Ws, and possibly all three. Of course, observer bias clouds my crystal ball, but I have a good feeling about this one.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

A lot of this depends on the remaining internationals. So far, I don't think anyone's injured.

My hope? Martin Skirtl plays on Saturday like he did against The Czech Republic today. Bloody horrible defending and lucky only to get the yellow.

12. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I'm sure you guys know this... but there are torrents of the Man Utd game online. I downloaded different versions. Didn't take too long. High quality as well. The one I've watched is with the English commentators, but on Sky Italia or some such Italian tv channel.

Fulham might beat the Pool or draw. It can definitely happen. Liverpool might also roll us, tough to call.

13. FulhamWisconsin

FulhamWisconsin New Member

I think that Liverpool is running on a hot streak unlike ManU and that they have the momentum right now in the title race. That having been said, Fulham has proven to be a stumbling block for even the biggest teams this year. A game like last time and the scouse won't know what hit them. Kind of like a certain corner flag.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Dempsey is shattered. Gera played only half a match on Wednesday and scored. I don't know how fit our other internationals are, but I'd be tempted to rest Davies or Hughes as well. Baird is fit enough to have played for Northern Ireland today, so here's my patchwork lineup against Liverpool

----------------- Super Aussie --------------------
    Paintsil ---- Baird ---- Hangeland ---- Konchesky
    Davies ---- Murphy ---- Etuhu -------- Gera
    ------------- AJ ------------ Bobby the Z ---------

Deuce on the bench along with Kallio, Hughes, Nevland, Dacourt, and -- half-time replacement for Davies -- Giles Barnes

Score 1-1 -- Zamora with the goal

15. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I listened to WSD yesterday and someone called in who said he knew Gera personally -- if you post or are lurking on this board, let it be known! I know some like WSD and some don't here, but Steven's analysis of Fulham was pretty good -- it has been a great year, Roy is a cerebral manager, the Swedish or Danish centerback that we have has been a find :lol: . Danny Murphy, Clint Dempsey, Johnson, Zamora, he said mostly opinions that have been said here and other Fulham media places.

And then he got to Schwarzer. He said that Mark was CRAP! A terrible goalkeeper. Boro added by subtraction. Somehting like that, I can't remember exactly. Cue much giggling by me. Kenny trtied to pull Steven's reins back, but it couldn't be done -- Steven was advertising his incorrect opinion for all the world to see.

16. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

I like Hatter's thoughts. Yes, Demps needs to sit. 1) Demps has logged a lot of minutes over the last week and 2) Demps didn't exactly set the world on fire with the Nats. Give Clint a break this week, use him only if needed.

My "United Buzz" is close to wearing off, so I'm really looking forward to this weekend. Maybe its over confidence on my part (usually I'm pretty realistic when it comes to our club) but I'm going to say 1-0 to the Whites. Schwarzer is playing the best football in his career and I just get the feeling he'll keep another clean sheet. I'll go with AJ scoring a 1st half goal and we hold on to a 1-0 lead for about 60 minutes.

COYW

BTW, I'll be twittering the match (via my blog's twitter account). I did this for my blog last week with the Chicago Fire vs DC United game just for shits & giggles & I actually got a great response from people via email who want me to continue doing it. Amazing what people enjoy reading when they are bored.

17. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Always hard to predict what the int'l break will do to a team like Liverpool that was rolling. One thing for sure is after a well earned draw at Anfield and the big assist our lads gave them two weeks ago that the Scousers won't be looking ahead. Should be a cracking atmosphere, but I have to think it's too big an ask to pull off another win.

18. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

Found this to be kind of interesting over at Hammyend.com:

http://hammyend.com/?p=1373

The comments from the Liverpool supporter are classic as well. I posted a couple back to him/her under my real name (Jason). Dan had a great point, it does seem like Gerrard is making preemptive excuses for a potential poor performance.

19. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

So much has been made of the Pool/ManU title chase and overlooking us that I like the boys to nick a point, 1-1.

Stephen of FFF & WSD is a moron on all matters outside of the big 4 and does a bang up job proving it whenever he tries to give analysis on the rest of the clubs.

20. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

As far as obnoxious fans, the Pool Guy isn't so bad, there's people who say a lot worse who root for Ohio St football.