FFC Summer 2009 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Lyle, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCDave

DCDave Member

From Steve Goff:

"Following up on reports that Olympiakos has taken interest in USA forward Jozy Altidore, the Insider has learned that the Greek club has, indeed, stepped forward for a possible loan arrangement with Villarreal. An English club (reportedly Fulham) and multiple La Liga teams are also in the mix for a loan. Discussions between Altidore's reps and the clubs have commenced and a decision is expected in the coming weeks."

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Not FFC related, but rather disgusting in magnitude: Real Madrid have spent 200+ million Euros on Kaka, C. Ronaldo, K. Benzema and R. Albiol. And not a peep (at least that I've seen) from either Blatter or Platini about it - but these guys are always quick to publicly criticize the debt incurred by English clubs.

3. FulhamNorthwestUSA

FulhamNorthwestUSA New Member

Can you say FIFA enforced salary cap? Cap on spending is the only way teams will not buy Championships. If a person were rich enough they could buy a dream team and no one would have a chance to stop them! Real Madrid looks to be doing that! Ronaldo,Kaka,Benzema all in a few weeks time, Crazy!

In the end it is bad for the game. If other teams in their league cannot compete then those teams fan base will be reduced, and they will loose money. Then players will not want to play for them because they are not competitive. Then the TV wont put your games on anymore- no more money, no more players, no more fans, Poof no more team....

4. psand22

psand22 Member

The price of players overall is out of hand. I thought the transfers last year were getting out of control, but Real has raised the bar...and that money will trickle down as teams replace the players they've sold.
    I don't think they'll go to a salary cap. Do the salary caps really work? Comparing it to baseball, the big teams spend and pay the luxury tax and the smaller teams never come close to spending the limit. In the NFL, they work around it with bonus pay, restructuring contracts, ....
    Unfortunately, I don't see a change that can work. The rich will get richer and the smaller teams will have to work hard and spend wisely. Spending big doesn't always ensure championships...

5. jmh

jmh New Member

Let's not panic. Madrid have tried this before and they haven't been the all-conquering perennial champions people were afraid of. The Galacticos didn't live up to expectations the first time and I'm not convinced they will this time either. This isn't like baseball where each player basically does his own thing when he's hitting or pitching, and it doesn't really even work in baseball. The players need to get along and there's no guarantee that they will.

As far as the debt issue goes, they get so much patronage from the Spanish government and royal family that I'm not convinced they have much.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And all of that money is financed!

But, Nev, Blatter has indeed commented on the Kaka and Ronaldo transfers. He said that they were "proof of the health of the game" in difficult economic times. I thought I posted that article here some time before the Confed Cup.

What a maroon, Sepp is.

7. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

8. ToviFromSantaBarbara

ToviFromSantaBarbara New Member

oh please no, hopefully Fulham increases their offer now.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This came from Rupert Murdoch's flagship paper -- The Sun. I wouldn't believe the tide reports in that magazine.

10. GreekFootballer

GreekFootballer New Member

The trimming/butchery everyone has been waiting for:

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsA ... tures.aspx

FFC can confirm that several players will be moving on to pastures new this summer.

Moritz Volz, who became a firm favourite with the Craven Cottage faithful following his move to the Club in 2004, has reached the end of his contract. Volz made 146 appearances for the Whites, primarily at right back, but also performed admirably in midfield when called upon.

Fulham fans will fondly remember two exceptional performances against Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea in recent seasons. The former German U21 international scored the 15,000th Barclays Premier League goal at Stamford Bridge in the SW6 derby in December 2006.

As well as his valuable contribution on the pitch, Volz played his part for Fulham in the Community. Embracing everything Fulham, Volz spearheaded a number of campaigns for the Club's Community Sports Trust and became a cult figure at Craven Cottage. The Club would like to wish 'Volzy' all the best in his future professional career and thanks him for five years of outstanding service.

Also departing the Club this summer is striker Collins John. The former U21 Dutch international striker also joined the Club in 2004 and enjoyed his best season during the 05/06 campaign when he finished the season as the Club's top scorer. John spent recent seasons on loan in both England and Holland and the Club would like to thank him for his services since 2004.

Leon Andreasen, who joined Fulham during the 2008 January transfer window, has joined Hannover 96 on a permanent deal. The Danish central midfielder initially joined the Bundesliga outfit on loan at the start of the year. Last season Olivier Dacourt, Julian Gray, Giles Barnes all joined the Club on loan and made valuable contributions. Karim Laribi, who was on professional terms with Fulham and played for the Club's Development Squad, is also out of contract. The Club would like to publicly thank all of the above players for their services last season.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm officially in mourning over Moritz Volz. His jersey in my closet is covered in old fart tears.
    :3d crying:

12. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Not Fulham related but Boo effing hoo: :3d crying: :3d crying:

Man I won't miss his antics. Remember how he flopped around at CC last year like a fish on a line?

In the article he says he's a man now -- maybe he has the skills of a man but I have a two year old son that whines less than he does.

Don, be sure to break out the Volzy jersey once in a while this year for the sake of good memories.

13. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

14. FulhamInPDX

FulhamInPDX New Member

Not good news at all. Fulham really need to up there offer to Clint. Losing him would really suck! This squad is already too thin, and losing another player, especially the quality of Dempsey would really really hurt. Need to get Dempsey back on board and we need to start bringing some signings into our squad instead of releasing players from our squad.

15. jmh

jmh New Member

Ouch, talk about a double-whammy. Already sad to read about Volzy's departure (he was my Fulham captain in Football Manager time and again), and now distressing news about Demps. Hopefully the club can work out a renewal!

(Crazy as this sounds, I think Dempsey and Davies, who joined in January 2007, are now the longest-tenured players at the club.)

16. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

i had a gut feeling Demps would be sold this offseason to a team like Everton.

Its a tragic inevitability with this guy.

Just not for 4 million. Sounds nuts, but 10+ million maybe.

17. FulhamInPDX

FulhamInPDX New Member

Yeah that's another thing. 4 million??? what a joke. atleast 8 IMO

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Also Eddie Johnson is being rumored to have been "offered" to Crystal Palace on a loan deal. Neil "Whiney Face" Warnock said they are considering. Interesting how the article I read said the word offered as if we are trying to pawn him off to somebody.

19. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I would hope it is something more along the lines of the Fulham brain trust putting their heads together to figure out a club that it would benefit EJ to go to and then approaching that team with a loan offer. Of course I like to believe the glass is half full too.

20. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Obviously, I'd rather see Clint stay with Fulham, however if he were to leave I think Everton would be a good fit for him.

Perhaps some of you who have followed this club beyond the last 2-3 years can elaborate. But I'm not seeing how Moritz Volz wouldn't be more useful to Fulham than say, Stoor and Baird, among others. Has pace and some offensive capability, plays rb or midfield. Sounds like a better Chris Baird....or I'm missing something.

Playing under Warnock might be good for EJ. From what I understand, he runs a disciplined club with tough workouts.