FFC Firesale--Player Rumor thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, May 6, 2014.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

And no I'm not referring to the Club shop's 80% off sale.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 25894.html

2. Andersons11

Andersons11 Member

Re: FFC Firesale

I can see no club taking an interest in our back line apart from Burn and Heitenga, with someone taking a punt on Steklenburg.

From the Midfield i can see Kacaniclic, Dejagah, Richardson and Kasami leaving, unless any of those have feelings of wishing to prove themselves to us.

Our forwards will stay, unless Mitroglu has a blinding World Cup in which case we will loan him out to a higher division club.

My main worry is clubs will be circling our Academy, especially after the performance Roberts and company put in this whole year.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I believe Heitenga is out of contract and stated very early on that he was moving on once the season was over. And I share your concerns over Roberts, the rumors of Arsenal and company being interested in him already started awhile ago. The rest is just wait and see me thinks. Although I'm sure Sidwell and Dejagah will get some interest from the clubs that earn promotion at the very least, but most likely a mid-table team will be their ultimate destination I reckon.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

If I was Roberts or an academy player, this would be the least of times I would want to leave as their profile and importance within the club is only likely to rise.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

No team is forced to sell a player. If we sell a youth player it'll be because the team believes that the money they receive is a better bet than the money they could get once the player is established. History abounds of "can't miss" U-18s and U-21s that never made it as first team players. I think a lot of our kids can play regularly right away -- Woodrow, Burn, Sambou, Grimmer, Arthurworry, Roberts being just a few -- but I don't know what Felix wants.

What I AM sure of is that there will be he a HUGE clearout. You may remember that Hodgson released about 1/3 of our first team squad in his first summer -- including Bocanegra and Keller. I expect Felix will do the same.

Also, most of the British press and about 75% of Fulham supporters think that Fulham's response to relegation will be to cut back on expenditures and rely even more on past-it, over-the-hill players. I disagree. I think that the parachute payments will cover the salaries of the players we keep, and our youth system added to players from less overpriced market sources -- Africa, Asia, USA -- will give us a decent squad. Felix is going to want to impress, and Khan is going to want to regain some of the value of his investment. I don't think we'll come right back up, but I don't think we'll curl up our toes and die either.

We'll see.

6. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

This story falls under the category of "well, duh" for me. They barely had to get up out of bed to write this one.
    Of course there will be changes. Of course they will be significant. Of course they will be widespread.
    You'll notice the article makes no mention of Mackintosh or anyone else in upper management. Khan's not going to make the widespread changes mentioned in the article. Alistair Mackintosh or his successor will.
    As the Right Honourable Gentleman from South Texas would say, "lazy journalism." At it's worst.
    Khan's first decision will be whether or not to replace Mr. Mackintosh. Everything else is just obvious speculation.
    Stay tuned.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Hold on....80% off the club shop DCH?? Now that is indeed a firesale :roll:

I like the spine of team going forward at that level w/Stockers, Burn, Sidwell (I think we can get him to stay), Woodrow & Dembele. Figure out immediately who is calling the shots in the dugout (will repeat from the Magath thread, if Felix ain't the man immediately go to Roberto DiMatteo and gauge his interest about getting back into management) and in personnel matters and go from there

8. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

What makes you say that? Just curious as we haven't seen any evidence to suggest it.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We haven't had a transfer period with Felix in charge, either. English players are overrated and overpriced. It makes no sense to go for a Jordan Rhodes or a Will Hughes when you can find similar talent for less money in those three markets. Felix is going to dump about 10-15 players. You can't afford a big-money signing in the championship if you need to sign 8-10 news players total. Hell, that's how Fulham got to be full of Yanks and Portsmouth got to be full of Africans.

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

What is everyone's opinion on Metroglue? I'm not ready to cut losses and loan him out yet. I would hope he comes out with a message to the Fulham supporters that he feels he owes the club and his only aim after the WC is to come back to London and do everything in his power to get us a top 6 spot.

11. tslyon

tslyon Member

I know it is not a one-for-one, but your post got me thinking about the English player aura and how/why they are rated so highly. Looking at the most expensive transfer fees, there is a Welshman and a Englishman, but otherwise not too many from the island...
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-transfer-fees-of-all-time.html?frame=2650558

An, it is a bit dated and only an opinion piece, but gives a perspective on the overpriced English players:
    http://www.sportskeeda.com/football/why ... verpriced/

Cheers,

Steve

12. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Can't say I really have an opinion on the player since I saw him in action for less than 200 minutes. I will say that I hope the club hold on to him and see if he's really worth the pounds that were paid for him.

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm with Astro, we didn't really see him and when we did he wasn't very fit. My guess is he's either sold or loaned out until we find a buyer. Don't think Magath is a fan of his, but we'll see.

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Anyway, seems Riise wants to stay and we're going after Arsenal's Bendtner. Somehow I don't see either happening.

15. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I think we've been linked with Bendtner since before my mother quit wearing booby socks so this is probably another example of outstanding British journalism and I would like to offer a parting thanks to Riise for his service to Fulham.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, if the Felix/Khan timeline is similar to the Woy/MAF timeline, there should be a list of players either returned to their clubs, released, or available on a free transfer by Wednesday morning in NYC. That and a for-sale sign hung out on a few others. I expect it to be a long one.

I think we've seen the last of Amorebieta, Stekelenberg, Heitinga, Riise, Riether, Parker, Bent, Mitroglou, Zverotic, Diarra, Holtby, KARAGOUNIS :banana-guitar: , Duff, Boateng, and Ruiz.

There may be others. It should be a very busy summer -- starting this week.

17. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

"....seen the last of..." Mitroglou? Did we "see" the first...or ANY of him? Oh, that's right there's photographic and video footage evidence of him actually on the pitch in a Fulham shirt, including the most poignant...in the third kit blue and orange the afternoon we were relegated at Stoke. Question: Can't we get some sort of refund or warranty claim on he and Ruiz? I suppose if we could, then scum could make the same claim...only larger...for Torres, eh? Oh well, just a thought.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think we got as much out of Ruiz as the coaching staff/managers allow him to give us.

19. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

All this contract talk makes me hate this game even more because god forbid clubs reveal something so anyone actually know anything. Here's what I've been able to piece together:

Bent and Holtby are definitely leaving as their respective loan deals are over. Kvist was also a loan deal, but with a purchase option that I don't see Felix taking up (though he should).

Boateng's deal is up and no way is he staying; assuming he's still alive. Riise, Duff, Karagounis, Diarra, Sidwell, Heitenga, Briggs, and Diarra are also all expired and I can't see any being renewed beyond Sidwell.

In terms of speculation: I imagine Ruiz, Mitroglou, and Kasami, leaving after, mainly due to their performances in, the World Cup.

I forsee a recently promoted side taking Parker for the (perceived) talent.

Stek and Amore still have three years(!!!) left on their deals but can't see The Stek sticking around. I can see Amore being here in August.

Hangeland has another year left but we should hope another newly promoted side take him off our hands.

So by my rough estimate there could be ~15 players leaving.

Full info: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/fulha ... n_931.html

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

First highlight: Hate this game even more? If you hate it, why do you bother.

Second highlight: The season ended about 10.5 hours ago. It's the middle of the night in England. Just when did you expect them to tell you who is leaving?

It'll just be a couple of days. Then they'll release the list, and you can either love it or hate it also.