FA Cup Third Round

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by LaxAttack, Dec 8, 2013.

1. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Not a horrible draw. What's funny is I thought we were already eliminated.:lol:

3. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm all too concerned about a cup run for a change. I'd be happy to see us throw out a bunch of the youngsters and see what happens. If we lose, we lose. Premier League survival is far more important and we're in too much jeopardy still.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Me too :lol:

Gotta agree w/Matt that this season is not the one to make a Cup run. We all want to see the team play at Wembley, but both Birmingham (League Cup) and WIgan (FA Cup) got relegated in recent years, and those extra games contributed to their downfall.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Disagree most strongly. Momentum is a huge force in sports. We are building up a nice head of steam with our tactics and execution. Having a major personnel change in ANY match is going to break that momentum. We need to run our best XI out there and go for the win. Winning is a habit. Don't take your foot off the pedal when you've floored it so successfully.

6. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

If resting the starters for the FA Cup match meant they had 2 weeks between matches I'd agree with you. But we have matches on:
    12/21 v City
    12/26 @ Norw
    12/28 @ Hull
    1/1 v WHam
    1/11 v Sund

The FA Cup match is on 1/4. That makes 4 matches in 10 days (12/26-1/4). Given the collective age of our squad and our lack of depth, I think the rest will be welcome and probably warranted and there's no risk of losing momentum (assuming we have some). It could just as well work out that we have negative momentum and need to halt it.

7. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

In addition to the tight timeframe the Norwich through Sunderland matches will be an important opportunity to accumulate points. For a change I am all for resting the regulars and putting an emphasis on the league matches. Instead of playing the regular starters I would prefer seeing a mix of young players and first team members who are not getting regular playing time feature in the Cup match. If Fulham lose, so be it, I will hope for a bounce back match against Sunderland. With twelve bottom half of the table points up for grabs in 15 days I am willing to forgive a Cup loss.