8. Croatia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Holland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Are they going to have 11 on the pitch today?? I got Zee Germans moving on, which of course means the magic carpet ride will continue for the Turks.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

the 11 who-the-hecks take the lead on 22 minutes. This is a great competition. I'll be sorry when it's over.

3. krhimself

krhimself New Member

And Deustchland take the spoils in a dramatic finish... just as the feed came back on!

Apparently there were some weather troubles in Basel?

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I spent some time there in July one year, and late afternoon/early evening thunderstorms can be monsters.

How about Turkey, though! Wow!

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Lahm Slaughters Turkey's Comeback

Great never quit spirit for the Turks, but better than them was some fantastic play by the Germans. That give and go by Lahm, taking advantage of the fallen defender, was clinical. And the timing was impeccable.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

RE: Lahm Slaughters Turkey

My first thought when Germany took the 2-1 lead was that the Turks had Germany right where they wanted them. I agree with Christian about the give and go by Lahm being beautiful but I really thought the Turks could have put this game away early with only slightly better finishing. I am almost disappointed that Turkey lost; they were a fun attack minded side to watch.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

IF the Germans lose the final, a large part of the reason will be Lehmans shockingly bad play. Every where else, the Germans are just as good, if not better, than the competition.

Totally, completely impressed with so many of them that it is hard to pick one or two out. Shweinsteiger has turned the ship around after a very pedestrian effort in the World Cup.

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I did pick Germany to win but I think either Spain or Russia will give Germany all they can handle.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Since Lahm's "defending" was largely to blame for the two Turkey goals -- with healthy assists by Jens Lehman -- does his match-winner make it a hattrick?

10. SamStej

SamStej New Member

lahm was very bad in the defensive side of the match, but freidrich was equally unimpressive defensively (and he didn't score a game winner either). If there is something that Spain/Russia will be able to expoit, especially spain with all of those attack minded midfielders, villa, and torres, it will defenitely be germany's fullbacks.

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Russia or Spain will beat Germany, verily, verily, I say unto thee. Germany is tough, but as previously stated, Lehman will commit a costly gaffe because of the pressure he is sure to face from either opponent.

Spain's attack will get them through, at least, I hope so. But, reality tells me that if the Russians' aggressive play carries over from the Dutch encounter, which I suspect will be the case, Spain has a slim chance of advancing.

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

If Turkey had had their three stars (Nihat, Arda, Tuncay), they would have beaten the German's soundly. UEFA should revisit their change to the timing of when the Yellow cards are cleared and/or make suspension occur after receiving 3 (since they're handed out like candy these days).

Germany can beat Spain, due to their height advantage on set plays, but I think Russia takes it all at this point - they have both size and skill, not to mention the better coach.

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Seems the old saying about "opinions" holds especially true for this tournament, as everyone seems to have an opinion about who will come out on top, and most of them stink. :3d smile: (Except mine, which smells like flowers.)

"Turkey would have beat Germany"......surely you are having a larf, Andy.

Spain and Russia are both dangerous, but das Vaterland shall prevail! :rock:

14. SoCalJoe

Shocking Germany keeps winning in spite of their washed-up-howler waiting to happen-goalkeeper (he looks like a 7 year old that has those tennis shoes w/roller skates hidden in the soles). Great heart shown both from the Turks (the whole tournament) and the German defender Lahm who turned the page after getting roasted all night and came up w/some magic for the winner.

Russia or Spain, Spain or Russia?? :? My inner monologue is driving me crazy on this one. 'Russia is the hot pick, Arshavin didn't play the first time, Guus Hiddink is a great coach, but Spain has gotten over their quarterfinal jinx and are explosive'. I've got the check mark next to Spain, for now. I'm thinking the real Fernando Torres will show up and hoping the real Sergio Ramos (and his idiotic fouls) won't.

BTW, anyone else thinking Mr. Hiddink would look great on a US sideline say around..2011???

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

SoCal, your last thought crossed my mind about a week ago.

He has experience and successes that Bob just can't get. I'm ready for some Total Soccer (in the U.S.)!

Another BTW, anyone else notice the assendance of Dutch managers? Advocaat ain't too bad either.

16. nevzter

why wait until 2011 for hiddink? he's the kind of guy that will be looking and/or tempted to move on after the Euros, no matter what his contract says.

query whether he would want to be involved with the USMNT, but based on his past coaching stops, the idea should be floated. no offense to bradley, but we're talking about a coach who took south korea to a 4th place world cup finish and got australia into the 2nd round - probably will win the euros this summer too.

17. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

i would love hiddink or billic. bradley's great at mixing up the lineup (unlike arena's cemented XI), but i am worried about the squad long term

18. SoCalJoe

I agree w/you Nev, but the higher ups at US Soccer don't have the cajones to do that. Just thinking it's a foregone conclusion Bradley will be at the helm thru qualifying.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Ahem, if Bradley had the players that Hiddink has, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'd prefer someone who is in for the long haul. Hiddink moves every 2-4 years, and what does he leave behind?

20. nevzter

Along with his dirty laundry and myriad empty bottles of Ketel One vodka, I'd hope he'd leave some results and silverware too.

I don't believe that the Hiddink-lead squads of Korea and Australia were more talented than the current US squad (obviously, I do believe Russia is superior) and he worked magic for them.

I'm all for hiring the first highly-rated Euro / South American coach (i.e., mercenary) that wants the job. Not because I'm delusional and think that would result in a cup victory, but instead, a colorful, foreign head coach would be entertaining on and off the pitch.