ESPN's latest crack at the WC roster

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by bostoncottage, Sep 24, 2009.

1. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/po ... =9&cc=5901

hard to argue with much of it. Though I'd prefer to see the guys slotted at 24-26 move up in place of the guys at 21-23. Casey seems like a wasted roster spot. He'll never see the field. Though same could probably be said for Cooper. Why not add another defender since Dempsey and Donovan can and likely will move up top at some point. Also, I think many of us have assumed a Bradley - Clark/Feilhaber combo in the middle, but is it much a stretch to consider that it could easily end up being Jones - Edu?

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Jermaine Jones is a damn good player. I haven't seen him play in awhile, but he was fucking class a couple of years ago.If he still has that kind of form, he should be a lock to start.

Most reports coming out of Mexico indicate that Castillo is far better than Bornstein. Hopefully he gets a chance to prove it.

3. Jensers

Jensers New Member

So many interesting articles here today!

Tell me more about Castillo. My assistant coach is a Tigers fan - I will be asking him as well. Why is he thinking USA?

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I just wiki'ed it. Sounds like he has made it loud and clear that he wants to play for the US.

Get him in a match Bradley! Lets lock him down now while we can! We cant keep losing these American born players to the country of their Parents or Grandparents!

5. jmh

jmh New Member

Jones is very good, by many accounts; I'd be pretty surprised if Bradley (Michael, that is) gets dislodged from one of the central midfield spots. I'd like to see what Castillo can do, also.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If Jones isn't good enough to start in the Bundesliga, how can he compete with "the eighth best talent pool in the world?" :D

7. EricD

EricD New Member

I have watched Castillo. I like what he can do. I think he saw an opportunity at LB for the USMNT, and he is jumping on it. The word is that he will not be able to wear the El Tri colors again b/c he turned his back to play for the US. He brings nice speed and can get in on the attack. He has admitted that he has to work on his defense, which I did not really like to hear. I think he would be a nice addition.

8. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Castillo is locked into the US for the rest of life. I thought if you did the petition thing, that he and Jones are doing, you can't switch anymore?

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Castillo is a mercenary. I would rather see Michael Orozco, olympic red card and all, at LB before Castillo. I believe he has been doing quite well for his club as of late. One of the few Americans "abroad" that can say that.

10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Mo, good call. I believe Orozco has been "blacklisted" b/c of the red card. It's a shame b/c the guy is no worse than Bornstein and plays at a higher level.

I'm all for Castillo's inclusion. Bring them in. Remember, this country's foundation - 'bring us everybody' - and that should apply to the USMNT as well. He, at the very least, deserves a shot at LB b/c we are so freakin' weak at that position. And if he knows he can NEVER change again, how can we call him a mercenary?

Bienvenidos, Sr. Castillo. Por favor, juega con su corazon darle a los Estados Unidos.

Imagine what a true, overlapping LB could do for this squad...I dare to imagine (all the people, living for today...)

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Castillo is a native-born US citizen. Nobody should blink at his inclusion.

And he has a left foot!

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Since I havent paid the same attention to goings-on as others have, I'll not get into player merits.. except to say we DO need a good LB.

But I'm impressed by the fact that players having a choice elect to try to get into the US team, call it mercenary {which it really isnt} or not.
    Especially if that player is on the field when the US beats Italy... even better if a certain player who made the opposite choice is on Italy's bench at the time.

Previously the only way this happened was in cases like Thomas Dooley of Germany. He had the {likely correct} impression he never would make the German team, thus the only option was to exercise his birthright.

13. Clevelandmo

I call him a mercenary because he already played for Mexico's failure of an olympic team and the senior team that was going nowhere with Sven. It is only when he sees that Aquirre has no use for him that he lets it be known he wants to play for the US. This is only for his career.

I dont mind the US MNT beings seconds to other national teams, but not Mexico.

Then you have Orozco - from what I read he helped convince Torres to play for the US.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Now Mo, the ONLY reason he turned out for Mexico is that -- like Neven Subotic -- he was ignored by the US youth system as well as MLS. At least, unlike Subotic, he's not lost to us permanently. I also don't see how it benefits his career in the Mexican league to play for the United States.

15. Clevelandmo

HD he said himself it was for his career - so did his teamate.

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The problem w/Orozco is his best position is CB not LB, but I agree that according to the little news we get (w/out digging of course), the kid is playing well and deserves to be invited to camp to compete.

I can't imagine Orozco being "blacklisted" because of one boneheaded play, because if that was the case Boca would have been gone 20 moronic plays ago.

About Castillo, he not only was born here, but was raised here (all the way through HS), and comes "home" for the small amount of offseason the Mexican league has. He went for a tryout at Santos and the next thing you know he's playing professionally down there. Grown men are mercenaries, not 19 year old kids that get recruited by the Pele of Mexico. As much his coaching can be questioned, Hugo Sanchez as a player is a national treasure and probably the most famous person in the country, and when he comes a calling a kid can get starry-eyed. If he is buried on the El Tri depth chart and has a change of heart, fine by me. From what I hear from buddies that have seen him, is that offensively he is very dangerous coming down the flank and is very good crosser, but defensively he can get knocked off the ball.

17. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Does anyone play National Team soccer, in any country, w/o an eye toward their career?

I find it ironic that people look for purity in a game that has often been considered vulgar and indecent at times throughout history.

18. jmh

jmh New Member

Jones IS good enough to start in the Bundesliga; he hasn't been in Schalke's lineup of late (nor been called into the USA squad) because he's recovering from a hairline fracture in his leg.

19. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

FYP {red in lieu of 'strikeout'}