ESPN to air La Liga

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Jun 22, 2009.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

ESPN strikes deal for La Liga rights

If you are an American fan of the Spanish First Division (and who isn't?) then you will be able to see many more La Liga games starting next season after ESPN struck a deal with GolTV to partner in multimedia broadcast coverage of the league that boasts world powers FC Barcelona and Real Madrid.

The new deal will allow ESPN to show La Liga matches on ESPN, ESPN Deportes as well as ESPN360.com. More than 95 matches will be shown on Deportes, with at least 114 matches set to be streamed on ESPN360.com. ESPN2 will televise select matches ('Super Clasico anybody?) while ESPN Mobile TV will also air matches. GolTV will continue to air its 120 La Liga matches throughout the year.

What do you think of this news? Excited at the chance to see even more of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla, Villarreal, Atletico Madrid and more?

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

It sounds like most of the La Liga matches will be aired on ESPN Deportes. So no big change for most of us probably.

The Priemier League rights are only the UK rights if I read the article correctly.

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I didn't read it at all, but I like the idea of more Liga matches. :lol:

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Nev, ESPN has English rights to show the BPL. Those of you who get Setanta will still be able to get them in the USA this coming season -- so far.

We've got to make sure we don't get too excited about ESPN's foray into live English and Spanish footie. They're trying to get a stronger foothold into Europe. They've already decided that poker and 9-ball will appease American audiences. They don't need the world's most popular sport.

6. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

7. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Seems La Liga is a great way for ESPN to create greater demand for they're deportes product in the mainstream latino market.

8. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I'm just looking forward to watch some occasional La Liga games other than the all Barca all the time Barca TV crap they have on FSC. I can no longer consider Barcelona as a candidate for the Spanish team I hope to follow

9. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Sounds like 20 games or so will be shown on ESPN/ESPN2.

And if you get ESPN360.com (I don't at my apartment, but do at work), you will be able to stream a bunch of games.

10. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Watching soccer online at work, EUREKA!!!!

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I did that on a regular basis until I got fired.

Hey, you don't think that ... ... ... nah

12. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Hopefully ESPN (in some sort of partnership with Sky it would seem) will follow suit with the other sports it carries and offer a Season Ticket type deal. If they had one for the Premier League, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.