ESPN and Soccer

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dtwondough, Dec 18, 2007.

1. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

I believe I read somewhere that ESPN will be able to bid on the contract to carry premier league games. Do you think this will be good for Soccer and its popularity in the US? I'm hoping they get it. The biggest down side I see, and this was mentioned in the Rome posts, is that you will have a lot more ignorant fans out there blasting it. Don't think that will be much fun, but the exposure would go up and probably improve MLS as well.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I read something about this too, but in fact upon reading it a bit more, I believe ESPN might bid on the English rights to the matches rather than the rights here in the States.

I would prefer the rights stay exactly as is.

3. EricD

EricD New Member

I would just like to see FSC go to high def.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm with Tom. And remember that if ESPN gets it for US, doesnt mean it will be on the main channel or ESPN2.

As far as FSC going high def. They certainly will when its market-feasible. They have to pay for it, somehow... right? Wanna watch hi-def infomercials, maybe...

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

ESPN is definitely bidding on the rights to show the games to the UK market. They're trying to get into the mix now dominated by Sky and Setanta. It would be nice if they branched out and got US rights as well, but 'fog is right about how it'll be covered. They'd probably put it on ESPN Deportes and broadcast it in Spanish.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: ESPN and Soccer

ESPN currently has the rights to the Champions League and I must admit they do an average job. It has not been until the last two seasons that they have actually broadcast at least one live match on each Champions League matchday.

I have a feeling if ESPN ever won the US rights they would not even come close to doing what Setanta and/or Fox Soccer Channel are doing. They would simply win the rights, show one match a week and in the process wipe out their minnow in competition in Setanta USA and Fox Soccer Channel. The only way ESPN would ever be welcomed by me is if they ever came up with a brand new Soccer-only channel. I do not see this happening, but the way that network has branched out anything is possible.

7. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

RE: Re: RE: ESPN and Soccer

Why would ESPN want the EPL when they can show more Poker? =p

I agree with Tom, I think a Soccer only channel would make sense. I think ESPN bites off more than they can chew way too many times, look what they did to Hockey...
    Maybe they can put it on ESPN 8 "The Ocho" ={)}

8. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

ESPN's primary objective is to capture more of the European market. At present, ESPN has approximately 10 million viewers in Europe and they are hoping to penetrate the market even further. They have an uphill battle on their hands primarily form bSkyb and Setanta whose contract runs through the 2009/10 season.

Agree with the sentiments above that ESPN would not improve upon the quality coverage of FSC or Setanta at this time. This move is more to gain more popularity abroad than making the game of football prominent in America.

Can't wait to see how this matter unfolds. ESPN is owned by Disney and there are plenty of funds available to make a worth while bid.

9. pettyfog

ESPN didnt do anything to hockey... it did/does it to itself.

I'm sorry to disillusion hockey fans but it's unwatchable on standard scan tv.
    I know there's always a core base for it but if EVERYONE aint watching then that says volumes. FSN carries the Jackets' games here... what more do you want?

10. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

my only problem with Setanta is it's $15/month for me and I only get two channels out of if. I do enjoy the FSC coverages though. Of course I would love to see the move to HD there as well. IF Vs. can go HD, then surely FSC can as well. But with the way Fulham is playing right now, it might not matter who's carrying EPL.

Agree with fog on the Hockey deal. ESPN, if anything, helped Hockey. I couldn't believe how much it was on. Unfortunately for hockey fans, they had a players union that thought they had actual bargaining power. Not sure how many of you follow it, but indoor lacrosse almost had the same problem. being a season ticket holder in denver, it was frustrating. The players wanted to play, but union wouldn't sign the deal. so, they cancel the season, 2-3 weeks later, go back to the table and sign a deal. only it's too late for a couple of cities to get the scheduled times back. so now, they are playing the season with two fewer teams. Players' Union, they're great!

11. jmh

jmh New Member

Yeah, it wasn't ESPN that messed up hockey. (Don't get me started.)

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

evidently, according to the owners, it was low-scoring games and ties.

Two signs of the sporting apocalypse:

1. 78-71 scores in college football
    2. 16-5 scores in the NFL

uh, 'fog; have we hijacked your thread? :oops:

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Could you feel me cringe when I read that last part? :x Of course that is because you are most likely right.

Signed,
    2nd Class Soccer Citizen

14. pettyfog

I think people are attributing stuff to me that others brought up..

And why cant it be broadcast in both English AND Spanish?

Hello... the technology's been there for freaking 15 years...!!!! I sure wouldnt be too upset if the Primary -face on screen- announcers are hispanic

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Ever hit the SAP button on a Spanish language channel and get English? I've been trying that periodically on Gala and Univision football broadcasts with no luck. To my knowledge, the only full-time multi-lingual sports network is GolTV. I recognize that there's always the possibility of ESPN putting the product on a hispanic station with English as the SAP, but if they really thought there was an English-language audience, they'd put it on an English language station.

And I attribute to you the comment that if ESPN got it, it probably wouldn't be covered on either ESPN or ESPN2.

16. pettyfog

Okay.. I'll take that.

But all they have to do is SAP it at the source feed. I wonder though if some fan commenters and viewers have given them the impression that english commentary is not really all that important to us.

17. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

The "powers that be" in US television will never ever give futbal the time and respect it deserves because of (1) $$$ i.e. lack of commercials, and (2) a general ignorance toward the game itself.

18. pettyfog

I'd say that summarizes the feelings of lots of fans. So...

1. How much time and respect DOES it deserve?

2. If you were 'king' what would you change and how would you go about it?

19. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

First, a question; What % of the US population cares about futbal?

20. pettyfog

What difference does that make.. pick a percentage.

If it's 'powers that be' who are at fault, then it must be the 'powers that be' who can fix it.

Right?