EPL Match Commentary

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Flamingcokecans, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Flamingcokecans

Flamingcokecans New Member

I caught the first portion of the game between Aston Villa and Manchester United on FSC. Anyone else see this game? The commentators where ridiculous, but not necessarily bad.... They where obviously a couple of Aston Villa commentators, but it was more like listen to a radio show while watching the game than any type of match play-by-play or "unbiased/intelligent" performance criticism. Basically, it was like watching the game over a couple of drinks with your buddies.

Overall, I enjoyed it.

Anyone else have some favorite commentators?

2. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

No but I hate listening to Warren Barton on FSC with that phoney accent he puts on, he tries to sound educated and speak nicely but to me it sounds awful, I have to mute him and wait for the game to start otherwise it drives me crazy...

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I much prefer the EPL announcers to the FA Cup announcers. I think that a different English network hires them and the FA Cup gets the dregs.

All of the EPL/FA Cup announcers, however, are far surperior to the FSC-hired stateside-based folks who commentate on the Argentine, Italian, and CONCACAF matches. They are all terrible and over-exposed.

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Agreed. FSC staff commented games are almost un-watchable. I was watching the Seattle @ Toronto last night. Max and the other guy are not getting better.

Too much, too often. It is hard to describe, but lets use Martin Tyler as an example:

Martin is probably the best out there IMO. When you listen to Martin you know that he is relaxed, you know that he is confident, you know that he is knowledgeable, and you know that he loves football.

He doesnt have to talk fast or loud or sound like he is puckering up his bung hole every time something 'almost' happens.

Also - unlike the 'other' guy with Max B on FSC, Martin doesnt talk at us... Telling us what 'his' keys to the match are. Telling us what 'he' would do...

Max is just too loud, too fast, too excitable. The other guy thinks that he needs to explain everything and he gives the impression that what he has to say is more important than what is happening on the field. Just shut up already!

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I love the British "less is more" style. I remember watching Wimbledon a few years back here in the states. There was a good 30-40 stroke rally going on and the crowd was getting more and more involved with each thrust and parry. The American announcers, similarly, got more and more animated and, basically, NEVER SHUT UP. I turned to HatterMom and said how much I missed the British commentators who would have waited until the point was won and then said only, "my word."

6. Flamingcokecans

Flamingcokecans New Member

One problem, IMO, is that the MLS doesn't have enough background noise. The EPL games feel so natural because when nothing is being said its still got some type of audio to keep your attention. When I watch MLS games, its either too much or too little from the commentators. Too much blah blah blah about what some guy did in previous games or what the commentator would do in this game and too little exposes the lack of fan noise and kind of has this awkward silence between words. I would prefer a little more "play-by-play" commentary to fill the void but less random statistics and opinions. The Aston Villa Commentators (mentioned in first post above) had a whole boat load of personal comments, but it was entertaining.... I just get the feeling that some of the ESPN MLS commentators don't even know what they are watching

7. Bradical

Bradical Member

American announcers never shut up when covering any sport, unless their names are Dick Enberg or Pat Summerall. Thank you Fox for bringing the attitude that now prevails our airwaves.

8. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

... or Vin Scully, or Ernie Harwell, who was just on the cusp of being before my time.

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I don't think Mark Rogandino, who does the WPS games and a few of the Concacaf and other games, is too bad (not great, but not too bad). It's Max Bretos, Christian Miles, and Keith Costigan who drive me nuts.

10. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Seems like he wants to be the soccer version of Madden.

11. Jensers

Jensers New Member

It is going to be interesting to see who they have do the ECL matches.